Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tactics with EA6B or EA18G ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
benji test
msg tools
mbmb
Hello,
I've tried several times to include 1 EA in a squadron. At the end of the long campaign, the EA has not flown more than one or two missions at all. When planning a mission, the non-versatile role of this kind of a/c (eg very limited type of ordnance) and the "advantage" are not very interesting comparing to a classical a/c using SA.
Does someone have a efficient tactic to use EA a/c ?
Regards
ST

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dear friend

i never use them for my strike group. i find That using 1 E2C for short campaign or 2 E2C for long campaign is more worth it. as they dont count toward the total strike force limit.

regards..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used them for a couple long campaigns. Once I used both during the same campaign. I think they are fun to use as they force you to adjust your play style. If you commonly use the "regular" more versatile aircraft types, flying with the EA-6Bs will cause you to adjust your planning and approach tactics out of necessity with their limited ordinance. I feel this adds an extra bit of challenge to a campaign. Maybe it'll also help me get a little more mileage out of this game as re-playability goes.

When I consider the advantage they offer with their jamming avionics package, I don't feel it's worth the trade off of losing an F-18 or A-6. However, like the above in regard to the limited ordinance, it has proven useful and forces me to consider how to take advantage of their -1/-2 modifiers.

In the same vein, I've also flown with a couple A-7s. While their SO bonus is great, I'm not sure it makes up for the difference in weapon points I lose compared with choosing an A-6. However, it forces me to adjust my tactics like above, and makes the campaign different than had I chosen a superior aircraft.

In short, I don't always try to maximize my chances of success by always picking the best aircraft. Incorporating a lesser aircraft once in a while increases the challenge (good) and I feel like I'm getting more out of my investment (the game) over the long run. Maybe it'll help me be a better player in the long run as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
dear friend

i never use them for my strike group. i find That using 1 E2C for short campaign or 2 E2C for long campaign is more worth it. as they dont count toward the total strike force limit.

regards..

Denny,

I've also found that the number of E2Cs I include has an interesting effect on a campaign. If I pick 2, so that I nearly always have one included on a mission, I feel like I could have gotten through most missions without an E2C just fine. Often the events may not be bad, or can be negated by ECMs or extra ordinance. But then the "big, bad event" is drawn at just the wrong time, and my E2C has either saved my bacon or I've been fried because I didn't have one on the mission.

Usually the E2C fills a "bonus" extra position on a mission, but occasionally when I don't have the combat aircraft available to "max out" my number of aircraft, I can lament the choice of the extra E2C over a combat aircraft in the following situation:

When the E2C fails it's negation roll and I need to expend 3-4 AtA or AtG munitions to negate the bad event, I yearn for that extra F-18, F-14, or A-6 that I couldn't include in my squadron because the E-2C took its spot. Those extra dumb bombs or sparrows that could have been present on the mission at no SO cost would sure come in handy at that time.

Kind of an awkwardly worded post; I hope it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
I've used them for a couple long campaigns. Once I used both during the same campaign. I think they are fun to use as they force you to adjust your play style. If you commonly use the "regular" more versatile aircraft types, flying with the EA-6Bs will cause you to adjust your planning and approach tactics out of necessity with their limited ordinance. I feel this adds an extra bit of challenge to a campaign. Maybe it'll also help me get a little more mileage out of this game as re-playability goes.

When I consider the advantage they offer with their jamming avionics package, I don't feel it's worth the trade off of losing an F-18 or A-6. However, like the above in regard to the limited ordinance, it has proven useful and forces me to consider how to take advantage of their -1/-2 modifiers.

In the same vein, I've also flown with a couple A-7s. While their SO bonus is great, I'm not sure it makes up for the difference in weapon points I lose compared with choosing an A-6. However, it forces me to adjust my tactics like above, and makes the campaign different than had I chosen a superior aircraft.

In short, I don't always try to maximize my chances of success by always picking the best aircraft. Incorporating a lesser aircraft once in a while increases the challenge (good) and I feel like I'm getting more out of my investment (the game) over the long run. Maybe it'll help me be a better player in the long run as well.

I agree. I've played with randomly chosen pilots/planes to try to keep the game more interesting. The ability to use SA in Hornet Leader CAO seems to me to make the game too easy, allowing pilots to have 2 attacks in one turn, while the enemy planes/sites only get one. So anything that adds some difficultly while also added variety (without added a lot of fiddliness to remember) is something that I will try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benji test
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to all for your replies.

Regards
BP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.