GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,263 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Risk (Revised Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Differences between "Family" and "Adult" Risk editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm curious if anyone knows the difference (other than aesthetic) between these two editions:

http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?R=34DA36C9-5056-900B-...

and

http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?R=93FE9B63-6D40-1014-...

The thing is over where I live I can only get the "Family" one, and I just want to make sure I won't be buying a childish version of Risk if I get that one...

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
Four Threads down whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
The adult version contains graphic nudity and sexual content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

SillyCon,
I would not describe the difference between the two Risk games in question, as one being "Family" ("childish") and the other "Adult."
But, the games are different in how they play.

The top Hasbro link that you included, leads to the game of Risk that is : "A new edition of the classic world conquest game. Featuring a return to Napoleonic themed pieces and original gameplay."
So this game is basically played just like the "classic" Risk of many years ago.

The bottom Hasbro Link that you included leads to the game of Risk that is known here on BGG as "Risk (Revised Edition)." The basic rules of "classic" Risk are included with this game, but additional features and changes were made here, to make the game more interesting. As you can see from the Hasbro website pictures, there are cities (they look like industrial complexes on the map) and also a capital for each player. There are "Objectives" that you must acquire to win the game, and you get a certain "Reward" for accomplishing each Objective (in the picture the Objectives and Rewards are placed in the bottom-left corner of the map, just west of South America).

I own both a "classic" version of Risk and the Risk Revised Edition, and we always now play the Risk Revised Edition (the classic version accumulates dust). So I would recommend the Risk Revised Edition, but it is too bad that you cannot obtain it in your country. Try shopping some more via the internet ... maybe on Ebay.com . But research, read and learn more about each game, before making your own judgment about which game would fit best for your gaming needs.

Good luck and have fun !
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys and thanks for the answers.

I ended up going ahead and purchasing the non-adult edition (over here in Portugal the small badge in the Bottom-Left of the box is red and states "Kids" rather than green and stating "Family").

I went for this one, despite it being simpler because:

1) I mean to play it with my 9-year old daughter. And it will be her 1st wargame, and the second board-game (after Monopoly) ever. I really don't want to turn her off by over-complicated rules (so ASL is out of the question );
2) Since I doubt I'll be able to pull my wife in to play as well, 2-player support (even if wonky) is a must;
3) If this is the "old" rules, then I want that to reminisce of playing it in my childhood some 30 years ago. modest
4) The game was available locally and I could actually get it on 50% discount only today;

Had it not been for this, I would go for the more complex version any day...

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say they are primarily marketing terms, calculated to hit a demographic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... I'm slightly disappointed with this edition. If I remember correctly in the classical version of the game that I played as a kid you had objective cards, where you would have to - say - conquer Europe and a few other territories to win. This gave an extra "hidden" objectives other than just reaching # territories or wiping out the other players.

That gave it an extra twist without adding much to the complexity, and it seems they left that out of this "Kids" version....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

SillyCon wrote:
If I remember correctly in the classical version of the game that I played as a kid you had objective cards, where you would have to - say - conquer Europe and a few other territories to win. This gave an extra "hidden" objectives other than just reaching # territories or wiping out the other players.

The classic game of Risk that we played when we were young had NO objective cards.
Thus, "Classic Risk" was very, very "plain and simple." Just the game board (map), troops, dice, and cards to receive after your turn was over that you could turn-in for extra troops. That's it ... nothing more, nothing less.
The game was played and won when one person captured all the territories on the map (aka: "World Conquest").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right,

The did have an edition in the ate 80's/90's that added the Mission risk variant that you talk about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

The did have an edition in the ate 80's/90's that added the Mission risk variant that you talk about.

Are you sure it was that recent? I can swear I haven't played risk since the age of 11-12 which would put this "mission risk" around 1983.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.