GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: My business is in trouble... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Awhile back, I did a free commission for a Warmachine podcast called the Prime Generation.In return, they would plug me on the show.

I sentthe package in mid-June, insured. Jump forward to December: I am now getting irate emails from the guys at the commission telling me that they have still not gotten the package AND that if they don't get it soon they will proceed to do all they can to defame my commission biz. What makes it even worse is that they will not respond to any emails I send trying to work things out.

They obviously think I have stolen the models, but I don't play Warmachine. Something must have happened to the models in the mail, but I have tried explaining that to them, and they continue threatening me. I am going to try and see if I can track the package down and see what has happened to it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? This could totally ruin my business. This is really scary for a me, as my commission service and my internet reputation are on the line here, and I will be pretty much helpless if these guys decided to beat up on me.

Thanks in advance,
Euen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
No delivery confirmation, insurance or tracking number?

A large Warmachine lot would be a valuable package to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Insured for $100-that covered the cost of the paintjobs/models. It was only 5 hero models, the ones that cost $10 each.

What I find troubling is that these guys waited until December to tell me that they had not gotten the package that I sent in June. So either they are really bad communicators or they are trying to get money/models out of me.

Either way, really discouraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you'd think if they were that irate, you'd have heard something sooner...

I'd be tempted to go on the offensive with that - "Hey, what are you trying to do, extort me? If they didn't show up, you should have said so months ago! Not my fault you lost them since then - don't try to blame this on me!"

But, then again, that's the kind of advice I give - but if it really WAS me, I'd most likely NOT do this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
jeffreyac wrote:
Yeah, you'd think if they were that irate, you'd have heard something sooner...

I'd be tempted to go on the offensive with that - "Hey, what are you trying to do, extort me? If they didn't show up, you should have said so months ago! Not my fault you lost them since then - don't try to blame this on me!"

But, then again, that's the kind of advice I give - but if it really WAS me, I'd most likely NOT do this...

Yeah, I am trying to stay cordial, just in case they really haven't gotten the models. If they do start flaming me, I will just pull the plug on my sponsorship of their show. Not much else I CAN do.

Has anyone else been in a fix like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have receipts of the insurance? Pictures of the figures that were done? Copies of their emails?

Write a letter to your Attorney General (AG) office, their Attorney Generals office and cc the company that is trying to take advantage of you.

Tell the AGs you are being extorted for work you have completed and that they are trying to slander your name, your business reputation, etc.

Show 'em you are prepared to go the distance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Old Blue wrote:
Do you have receipts of the insurance? Pictures of the figures that were done? Copies of their emails?

Write a letter to your Attorney General (AG) office, their Attorney Generals office and cc the company that is trying to take advantage of you.

Tell the AGs you are being extorted for work you have completed and that they are trying to slander your name, your business reputation, etc.

Show 'em you are prepared to go the distance...

I have everything BUT the receipt, as the Post Office forgot to send me one when I shipped it off. Luckily, our Post Office is really small, so we know the Postmaster. I am planning on dropping by there next week and seeing if they have the shipment on file.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahalos for the tip

Remember document, document and document.

I'm also thinking you may just send them a warning letter and cc the AGs - stating this is your attempt at a good faith effort to resolve this amicably.

Also when you do send the letter to the company - send it registered.

Submit their emails as evidence per your letter - being that these guys are threatening you via email - essentially giving you proof - their bulbs aren't burning brightly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Blue wrote:
Mahalos for the tip

I'm also thinking you may just send them a warning letter and cc the AGs - stating this is your attempt at a good faith effort to resolve this amicably.

Submit their emails as evidence per your letter - being that these guys are threatening you via email - essentially giving you proof - their bulbs aren't burning brightly...

I've had my share of jackasses, and documentation is a big part of saving face and, your money. I'd have all you got, scanned and ready for posting if it comes to it. Agreed, waiting 6 months is nuts. If they didn't get it, they should have said something sooner. It's almost like they were waiting for you to throw out all your receipts... I could be wrong, but sounds wacky.
What is the time limit the post office can go back and check their records? Hopefully if it was insured, they can prove it went somewhere or at least prove it went out to them with 100 dollars insured. I would think it'd be recorded SOMEWHERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Phil of Mars wrote:
Old Blue wrote:
Mahalos for the tip

I've had my share of jackasses, and documentation is a big part of saving face and, your money. I'd have all you got, scanned and ready for posting if it comes to it. Agreed, waiting 6 months is nuts. If they didn't get it, they should have said something sooner. It's almost like they were waiting for you to throw out all your receipts... I could be wrong, but sounds wacky.
What is the time limit the post office can go back and check their records? Hopefully if it was insured, they can prove it went somewhere or at least prove it went out to them with 100 dollars insured. I would think it'd be recorded SOMEWHERE.

I am pretty sure the Post Office will have some record of it. If they do, I will see if they can send a copy to the people, and I will try and get a copy of each item of documentation and scan them.

And yeah, I really cannot believe they didn't contact me sooner. And I might as well add this, just to give you guys more to work on: when I received the models, they came in a large USPS envelope mailer, with a battlefoam tray. However, they were so badly packaged that the models were just bouncing around loose when I got them and I had to spend a bunch of time fixing broken parts/regluing the models. It's like they didn't even care about the models-I kinda felt like I was receiving someones trash in the mail.

Edit: Oh and here is a link to where I posted pictures of a couple of the finished models. As you can see,I put a TON of work into getting these figures to look like they do.
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?65631-Braveys...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, I looked at your handiwork in that forum, and then out of curiosity I looked at your business' web site. I would say that any commission business that says it's not accepting commissions on its home page is probably in some trouble, regardless of whatever happened to that package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
MisterCranky wrote:
Gee, I looked at your handiwork in that forum, and then out of curiosity I looked at your business' web site. I would say that any commission business that says it's not accepting commissions on its home page is probably in some trouble, regardless of whatever happened to that package.

That is just a temporary measure. I just have to much stuff on my plate to accept more commissions/explain to people that I really don't have time to paint their army of 500 Orks.

Oh, and I got to the Post Office and spoke to the Postmaster. He was very helpful, but he did inform me that they purge all records of shipments after 90 days. So even if I had the receipt, they would still not be able to track it down. I have no idea how I will explain this to the Ags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If the USPS purges their records every 90 days then how can the podcast guys expect to be taken seriously after not inquiring for nearly 180 days? I would say that this isn't really on you at all. It would be the nail in the coffin if you had saved the receipt, but there's nothing you can do at this point. Good luck to you. I hope that everything works out for the best in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife works in the rubber stamp business. They ship stamps all over the place daily. They often get people calling up "we never got our shipment" and then they look it up and say "oh, so and so signed for it on this day" and they reply "they don't work here"

well they must, they signed for it, at that exact address.

What a bunch of poppycock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. This makes my stomach hurt, mostly because it's the kind of mess I could see myself getting into (I'm horrible with paper work). Best of luck.

thermogimp wrote:
If the USPS purges their records every 90 days then how can the podcast guys expect to be taken seriously after not inquiring for nearly 180 days? I would say that this isn't really on you at all. It would be the nail in the coffin if you had saved the receipt, but there's nothing you can do at this point. Good luck to you. I hope that everything works out for the best in this situation.

This seems to be a key point.

Did you e-mail them to tell them it was on its way? Do you have a record of it? I imagine it'd be even better if they responded to that.

It seems that if you can prove that you let them know it was on it's way 6 months ago and they only got around to telling you now that it didn't arrive, it wouldn't matter if it arrived or not as they missed out on any opportunity to collect on insurance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
kdiddy13 wrote:
Ugh. This makes my stomach hurt, mostly because it's the kind of mess I could see myself getting into (I'm horrible with paper work). Best of luck.

thermogimp wrote:

Did you e-mail them to tell them it was on its way? Do you have a record of it? I imagine it'd be even better if they responded to that.

It seems that if you can prove that you let them know it was on it's way 6 months ago and they only got around to telling you now that it didn't arrive, it wouldn't matter if it arrived or not as they missed out on any opportunity to collect on insurance.

Yeah, I notified them that when they sent me their return address I would get their models in the mail the next day. They gave me the address on the 5th of June and I shipped them on the next day or thereabouts. And yes, I have records of all of my correspondences with them.

If they don't respond to my emails, and proceed to badmouth me on their podcast, they will be getting a letter from my lawyer, rest assured of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
kdiddy13 wrote:

thermogimp wrote:

Yeah, I notified them that when they sent me their return address I would get their models in the mail the next day. They gave me the address on the 5th of June and I shipped them on the next day or thereabouts. And yes, I have records of all of my correspondences with them.

If they don't respond to my emails, and proceed to badmouth me on their podcast, they will be getting a letter from my lawyer, rest assured of that.

Ugh. Not much more than you can do other than keep communicating with them and keeping a record of what you say.

It really sounds like it's a bit of a mutual screw up (in that you didn't follow through to make sure they received it), but more on their end as they didn't get back to you with in the limited 90 days to take advantage of insurance.

I wouldn't jump to the "intimidate them" route immediately, but I wouldn't wait until they started defaming you either as anyone listening (and also a potential client) won't actually get to hear your side of the story.

Contacting someone who's actually a lawyer sooner than later and making sure you're doing everything you should is likely your best bet at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
kdiddy13 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
kdiddy13 wrote:

thermogimp wrote:

Ugh. Not much more than you can do other than keep communicating with them and keeping a record of what you say.

It really sounds like it's a bit of a mutual screw up (in that you didn't follow through to make sure they received it), but more on their end as they didn't get back to you with in the limited 90 days to take advantage of insurance.

I wouldn't jump to the "intimidate them" route immediately, but I wouldn't wait until they started defaming you either as anyone listening (and also a potential client) won't actually get to hear your side of the story.

Contacting someone who's actually a lawyer sooner than later and making sure you're doing everything you should is likely your best bet at this point.

Yeah, I should have gotten in contact with them. I guess I just assumed that they were responsible, capable people that would let me know if they hadn't gotten the package by the end of the 2nd week after I shipped it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.