Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Stone
England
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the rules behind the Buggy Attack (Piracy) part of combat but I can't thematically get my head around them...if the cards represent patents how would a buggy stealing a card from a rocket stack around Venus stop me from building more of that item back on Earth? Unless I'm missing something?

I guess if the Trade Cards are used it could steal that instead so both players end up with the tech...

Speaking of which, how many sets of Trade Cards are supposed to be used? Is it just one set or is it a set per player?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are dual purpose... they're a patent when in your hand, and a component when they are in space. For simplification, piracy transfers the card b/c it's a component when you are in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rezza wrote:
but I can't thematically get my head around them...if the cards represent patents how would a buggy stealing a card from a rocket stack around Venus stop me from building more of that item back on Earth?

You can thematically get your head around the way having a card in a rocket stack around Venus stops you from building more of that item back on Earth?

I think those limitations are just concessions toward playability; really you should be able to have multiple rockets, and multiple instances of any technology you know how to manufacture, but that would require additional components--many copies of each card, or written sheets, etc.--and a 5-player game where each player had half a dozen rockets in flight would be so interminably slow that publishing such a game was deemed an unsustainable business plan for Sierra Madre Games, simply on the basis of the suicide rate among the population most likely to become repeat customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.