Subject: How quick expanding into territories? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Carlile
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As players spawn from their HQ presumably (if players start away from each other) early moves are expansion only. How long is this taking folks on average before everyone is generally close enough to fight?
Secondly, is it same as fighting, from as many areas as you want and because no dice being used, move as many in as you want. Have I got that right? Took us ages tonight.
So if I understand correctly, it boils down to spread like wildfire -leave yourself thin or take ages -5 or 6 turns just moving one region at a time but still relatively strong. David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second, it works as with fighting, but I want to clarify the second part of your statement. "From as many areas as you want" isn't correct; you only occupy a new territory from a single other territory. This means that, if you're not careful with how you plan your moves, you can leave pockets of troops behind your lines that can only be moved via your once-per-turn maneuver.

For the first, I usually see some combat in the first round (and near universally in the second) as players jockey for control bonuses. It might go somewhat slower than that, but certainly not 5 or 6 turns slow. Taking that long to begin collecting resource cards or troop bonuses would be killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resource cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lim
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished up our 5th game this afternoon and the way our world has evolved has caused our spawns to become more compact. People are usually forced to attack large groups the instant they feel they have the upper hand so the fighting begins round 2-3.

Cards play a big part in our choices too. If a favorable resource card is on the board people will start attacking just to gain control of it.

You should post a picture of your map so we can see what you're dealing with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carlile
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I am finding it difficult to envisage fighting in the first round.
If players have placed HQ's far away from each other, say Peru, Australia, upper Asia area, then there are many free regions inbetween. and presumably one will receive 3 troops at the start of their turn, place in HQ region and move into as many adjacenet areas as they wish. So I could expand from A (hq) into B with 10 troops, then B into C, (perhaps with 9) and then C into D etc. Am I right in thinking I can do all this on first move. However I might leave 1 or 2 or 3 in regions, comparitively weak, and easy targets so allowing others to battle and collect a resource card easily. Or realising this, do players only move 1 region with 5 or 6 troops per turn, slow and steady and hence taking 4 or 5 turns. Surely most games will go the latter way until opposing armies sit adjacent to each other on the board.
Ta David. have I got this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumblygrew wrote:
If players have placed HQ's far away from each other, say Peru, Australia, upper Asia area, then there are many free regions inbetween. and presumably one will receive 3 troops at the start of their turn, place in HQ region and move into as many adjacenet areas as they wish. So I could expand from A (hq) into B with 10 troops, then B into C, (perhaps with 9) and then C into D etc. Am I right in thinking I can do all this on first move. However I might leave 1 or 2 or 3 in regions, comparitively weak, and easy targets so allowing others to battle and collect a resource card easily. Or realising this, do players only move 1 region with 5 or 6 troops per turn, slow and steady and hence taking 4 or 5 turns. Surely most games will go the latter way until opposing armies sit adjacent to each other on the board.
Ta David. have I got this right?

If Imperial Balkania picks the "Resource card on 4+ expansions" power, it is in their best interest to seed the world as fast as they can, perhaps at the risk (hurr hurr) of some early defensive losses as his opponents respond. This is especially true if Balkania starts in resource-rich areas and the initial deal is favorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark,

Are the 4 territory cards dealt face up before selection of starting territories. In the rule book it is paced this way, but i figured I'd ask you since your the resident guru on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:
Hey Mark,

Are the 4 territory cards dealt face up before selection of starting territories. In the rule book it is paced this way, but i figured I'd ask you since your the resident guru on this game.

Yes they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumblygrew wrote:
If players have placed HQ's far away from each other, say Peru, Australia, upper Asia area, then there are many free regions inbetween.
David,

You have the mechanics of the rules correct.

That said, consider the situation you've laid out here. Three players instead of five will obviously take longer to reach each other, but look at the starting territories you've named. Australia is an easily-occupied continent with a single two-territory choke point exit (SE Asia - Indonesia). South America is similarly easy to occupy, and though it has two exits, they're still both single-path two-territory sets (C America - Venezuela and N Africa - Brazil). Backend-nowhere Asia, on the other hand, is vulnerable from many fronts and is in terrible position to secure a continent. So, with this on the table, the Australia player will quickly be pulling in 70% more troops per turn than Upper Asia. The Peru player will do likewise, though he might move a bit slower securing his borders (if this is truly only a 3-player game, Peru has the added advantage of moving into similarly easy-to-defend N America next). Maybe the resource cards favor Upper Asia, but your one-territory-a-turn no-attacks plan means that even if that's the case those cards won't be claimed.

Given this, my experience is that the disadvantaged players will be forced to attack early to maintain some semblance of balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sceadeau D'Tela
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played two games so far, but our "experienced" risk player attacks on turn one.

He has ended both games with a single territory. Take that for what its worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.