GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,657 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

A. S.L.
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

My aunt is a teacher who works with developmentally disabled children. She is looking for games to have them play that meet some very specific requirements:

- must not require academic knowledge above kindergarten level (i.e. must not require reading skills, addition skills, etc. Requiring the ability to count is ok.)

- must be playable in 15 minutes or less. A game length around 10 min is ideal.

- must be turn-based so everyone participates BUT should also (ideally) encourage players to pay attention even when it is not their turn, either because doing so is to their advantage or simply because watching other people take their turns is interesting.

She already has some games, which I'll list below in order of perceived effectiveness, so there's no need to recommend those games, but perhaps if you can think of other games similar to them that might be helpful as well:

1) Uno (I myself have worked as a teacher with developmentally disabled children and in my experience Uno has always been everyone's favorite.)
2) Memory
3) Hi-Ho Cherry-O
4) Gone Fishin'
5) Counting Cookies
6) Trouble

Any and all suggestions welcome. The games do not have to be overtly "educational" - anything game that would be a fun group activity for all involved would be useful. Also, if you suggest a game and it ends up getting bought and is enjoyed, you can expect rewards to come your way.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Animal Upon Animal is one of the best.

Hisss is great for this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gulo Gulo. There's no way you can't watch someone else's turn in eager anticipation of one of your opponents knocking over the alarm stick. It's more fun than taking a turn yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant might work. It plays 3-8 players in ~20 minutes. This could even be shortened by doing fewer than the 5 rounds prescribed by the rules. All players are involved throughout with simultaneous action selection. The choice on each turn is very simple though: stay or go. Tons of fun that's worked with every group I've shown it to. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Snail's Pace Race
Blockhead!
are similar in construction and pacing to the games you say are already owned and enjoyed.
If you're interested in something slightly different, may I suggest
Caves & Claws
an extremely kid-friendly co-op (no reading, plays in 10 minutes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RattleSnake
There's a Moose in the House
Connect Four

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. S.L.
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, some great suggestions so far: keep them coming!

One note that I should have mentioned before, however, is that my aunt is also looking for games that can accommodate at least 4 players both because she wants to encourage group activity ("interaction on a community level") and also, more practically, because she has to be able to keep an eye on all her charges at once, thus I don't think that things like Connect Four would work for this particular situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. S.L.
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

co-ops would be great to try! They might not work if some of the kids are very shy while others are more dominating, but I love the idea of co-ops and I think they'd definitely be worth a shot! The only one I'd ever heard of before that's aimed at specifically at kids was Karottenklau.

potterama wrote:
may I suggest
Caves & Claws
an extremely kid-friendly co-op (no reading, plays in 10 minutes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoowaboo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jungle Speed perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janie Longfellow
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite choice with these requirements is Kids of Carcassonne. I'd also strongly recommend Rat-a-Tat Cat.

+1 Incan Gold
+1 Zoowaboo

All of these have been enjoyed by my son (age 5.5, currently in Kindergarten) and my nephew (age 4). Even when my nephew wasn't very clear on the order of his numbers, he could play Rat-a-Tat Cat by choosing to keep cats and get rid of rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I'm going to play the "I haven't played it, but will recommend _____ " card.

No one else has mentioned it, so I thought I'd draw your attention to Qwirkle; from what I understand of the game, it should meet most criteria except the game length. I think game length could be adjusted by using fewer tiles. Also, the points would need to be tallied, but if students just count up points for each turn and record that number, the instructor could add them up at the end to see who wins.

Also,
+1 for Animal Upon Animal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can highly recommend the lego range of games. All children seem to enjoy the endless possibilities of lego and both my sons still enjoy these games (despite both being very capable of playing more strategic games)

The only one that is probably a bit too complicated based on your requirements is Ramsys Pyramids. The others are generally playable in 10 to 15 mins and use a great custom dice. But of the rest i can recommend from personal experience:

Race 3000
Minotaurus
Creationary
Pirate Plank
Lava Dragon
Robo Champ

I am sure the other games will be equally applicable, I just haven't played them.

Edit:to include a game link i missed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicken Cha Cha Cha would be ideal, as would The Magic Labyrinth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.