Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Wong
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played the base game once and I enjoyed it enough to want to order it for myself but is there any reason to not immediately incorporate the expansion?

I guess what I mean is does the expansion change the flavor enough to where I should play the base game more before including the expansion to get the most out lifespan out of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Tyree
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banners adds a lot of neat stuff, but it's a great game without the expansion and deserves at least a few plays.

I bought the game when it was relatively new, so I was able to play it several times before the expansion came out. When it did come out I was searching frantically for people to play the base game one more time before I incorporated the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Much of what Banners adds are "optional" rules, that you can certainly play without while getting familiar with the game. The "non-optional" components included are mostly just more components for existing stuff:

- More Units (2 new types for each faction)
- More map tiles
- More Quests
- More Seasons
- More Tactics Cards
- More Heroes
- More Rewards
- A new Order card
- A new Title card

The only real so-called "non-optional" new rules (apart from the new units, which just have a slightly different way of recruiting them) are:
- The Lost City
- Tactical Fate cards
- "Revealing" runes
- Desolation/Cryomancy tokens

Nothing among these "non-optional" bits are really that complicated, and could be easily added with little overall impact to the base game. Definitely worth getting.

(I put "optional" and "non-optional" in quotes only to emphasize that's the official stance; there's nothing stopping you from tailoring it however you want regardless).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I feel that really make the expansion worth it:

The new winning/ending. Great and adds tons of tension instead of "Oh, by the way, I know everyone is making plans and starting to enjoy the game, and getting their war-plans ready. But, I WIN! GAME OVER! yuk

More quests, boy were they needed.

2 more units add lots more strategy.

The new cities really make cities useful and strategic.

More season cards = a LOT less card-counting by players.

Heroes can be used in battles.

Pretty much every little "thorn" the original game had, the expansion "pulled out" for me. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Pretty much every little "thorn" the original game had, the expansion "pulled out" for me. . .

Excellent wording!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.