GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Searching for a New 5 Player Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Finley
United States
Mukwonago
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought I'd reach out and try to get some recommendations. I've been playing strategy games for about a year now, and have been having a great time with a regular gaming group. I'm new to the group, and don't have any kind of collection of my own currently. We pay paced on placement each gaming night, and when we get to $50 one of us gets to buy a new game. Well, my turn came up.

Here are some of the games we play that I'm familiar with and enjoy, hopefully it gives you an idea of my leanings:

Puerto Rico
Power Grid
Agricola
Race for the Galaxy
Dominion
Hansa Teutonica
Steam
Small World
7 Wonders

I really WANT to like Heroes of Graxia, because I like the combination of deck building and a fantasy theme, but find the game just doesn't play that well.

I should also add that I do own Ticket to Ride already, though I haven't played it.

A couple I'm considering now:

Panic Station
Battlestar Galactica
Thunderstone

I'm open to suggestions, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game would be a great choice...

I'd also check out:

Dominant Species

Belfort

Endeavor

Chaos in the Old World with Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat Expansion

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande
Automobile
Power Struggle

For longer / more intense games:

Dominant Species
Imperial
Rise of Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a lot of the list you play. Love Puerto Rico, Hansa Teutonica, and Power Grid. I like a lot of freedom within a system for trying new strategies and creative play.

Second vote for El Grande.
Age of Empires III (Whatever the new name is)
Railways of the World -- This is our extended family's favorite along with expansions. I want to play Steam, but haven't. I know some only like one or the other. They seem different enough to enjoy both to me. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favorite 5p games are:
Peloponnes (probably out of your budget)
Caylus Magna Carta with expansion
Bombay (not that popular with the rest of my group)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
The Princes of Florence and Amun-Re are at their best with five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago and Hab & Gut are best with 5. Medici is very good with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five player is the sweet spot for a lot of GREAT games. I'm jealous you've worked that out. Here are the games that top my list for five players:

EURO/STRATEGY
Puerto Rico
El Grande
Agricola
Hansa Teutonica
Dominant Species
(some debate over its Euro-ness)

THEMATIC/DIPLOMACY
Cosmic Encounter
Citadels

CARD GAME
Glory to Rome

COOPERATIVE
Space Alert

AMERITRASH/EURO HYBRID
Chaos in the Old World + Horned Rat

EPIC/WARGAMES
Struggle of Empires
A Game of Thrones

If you have any questions about these, let me know.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Son
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That list reads like my collection as do most of the suggestions here.

+1 votes for
Princes of Florence
El Grande
Age of Empires 3
Dominant Species
Battlestar Galactica
Imperial

BSG is a completely different beast then the other games on your list. It'll be a great change of pace game for you guys.
Co-op with traitor(s). With the strategy more on group dynamics and reading other players. It's a blast. My group (the part that enjoys your list) loves BSG.

Princes would open up that auction based strategy game can of worms. In a good way ;-). Plays quick too.

Other Recommendations
Brass My personal favorite
Age of Industry 5 player Brass but "differenter" redesign by Brass designer. Heard good things.
Through the Ages My other personal favorite.

*sigh* Picking just *1* new game is always hard.
Good luck! Great Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome shares the lead/follow mechanic of Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy. (So does Eminent Domain, but that's for 2-4 players.)

Panic Station and The Resistance are also traitor games, and The Resistance works with 5-10 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patilian wrote:

Railways of the World -- This is our extended family's favorite along with expansions. I want to play Steam, but haven't. I know some only like one or the other. They seem different enough to enjoy both to me. YMMV.

I was deciding between Age of Steam, Steam, and Railways. I looked at the differences and decided on Steam. Definitely worth it. Then I started to look at Railways again and decided to get it. Now Age of Steam is back on my want list. They might not be different enough for someone to get each one but I've found I like all them because of their differences. Railways is an easier game to introduce players to, but I enjoy the higher level of difficulty in Steam and Age of Steam.

I don't regret owning both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Hansa Teutonica: East Expansion is a great option if you still enjoy hansa teutonica. Improves on the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor
Samarkand: Routes to Riches
In the Year of the Dragon
Leonardo da Vinci
Notre Dame
Genoa
El Grande

and if a slightly lighter game involving bidding appeals to you, try Medici or Strozzi.

All of the above (and many of the games you listed) are mainstays in my collection. They keep getting played years after I first got them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for panic station. Its a great game at a nice price point. Betrayal at house on the hill is another fun betrayal mechanic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Binney
United Kingdom
skipton
north yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for battlestar galactica, it can play 4 or 6 too but works best with 5. if you did decide to get it and liie it, you'll be pleased to hear that the pegasusand exodus expansions are also phenomenal and add more dynamics to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, BSG is a completely different beast than the rest of your game list. This could make it a fantastic success or terrible flop, depending on how your gaming group likes games based around a secret traitor. (Some people really hate that type of game.) If you want some negotiation/interaction without a traitor, Santiago is great. Other option for great 5p negotiation: Genoa

Thunderstone is not necessarily sufficiently different from Dominion to warrant a purchase. I fear with its great theme and added clunkiness, it'll be a disappointment like Heroes of Graxia was. (not as clunky as HoG, but still more than Dominion.) If you want a deck-builder a bit further removed from Dominion, perhaps Nightfall, although with 5 there's a lot of kingmaking if that bothers you.

I'll offer a hearty +1 to Glory to Rome, Belfort, Endeavor, AoE III. All great games that have been hits with my gaming group.

If you know you'll have 5 players, you're in a great position to play Maharaja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for Notre Dame and The Princes of Florence.

I note your group already has Small World, so why not Small World Underground with the tunnels mini expansion that would allow you to play with up to six players. SW Underground is a stand-alone so you wouldn't need to have access to SW to play it outside the group.

Looking at your original list, which includes many of the games I enjoy playing, if you want a heavier euro you could try Le Havre or Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Finley
United States
Mukwonago
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, this is going to be tough! Lots of good looking suggestions so far. I plan to look seriously at quite a few of these:

BSG
Dominant Species
El Grande
Chaos in the Old World (+ Expansion for 5 player)
Nightfall
Amun-Re
Hansa Teutonica Expansion
Princes of Florence
Age of Empires III
and more!!!

I thought it would help if I could add something that I usually DON'T like in a game. I don't enjoy games that have too MUCH randomness. Heroes of Graxia is a perfect example - if one of the more powerful items comes up when it ISN'T your turn, there's nothing you can do. Examples of GOOD randomness are in Power Grid and Agricola. It's a little random what cards come up, but it won't make or break your strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Finley
United States
Mukwonago
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One more thing - one game I really, really like is Agricola, but it is SOOO complicated. Not everyone in the group enjoys it like I do. Is there something in a similar vein, but less complex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
splendorlex wrote:
One more thing - one game I really, really like is Agricola, but it is SOOO complicated. Not everyone in the group enjoys it like I do. Is there something in a similar vein, but less complex?

Stone Age with Stone Age: The Expansion (out soon) might be your best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
splendorlex wrote:

The previously suggested Age of Empires III, Belfort, and Stone Age are all fine worker placement options less complicated than Agricola, in descending order of complexity. AoE III doesn't use resources, Belfort uses area control as the main scoring mechanism, and Stone Age uses dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
splendorlex wrote:

Panic Station
I might consider The Resistance instead or first. Panic Station might be a little clunky trying to get through the rules
splendorlex wrote:

Battlestar Galactica
This is a great game I would consider getting prior to Panic Station. The Resistance would also substitute well here.
splendorlex wrote:

Thunderstone
check out www.yucata.de for a really great free place to try out Thunderstone online. There is a game here that plays differently from Dominion, but it is more complex with a lot of different components to keep track off. That said, it is nowhere near as complicated as Heroes of Graxia. Also, it is not very good at five player.

I will +1 the recommendations for Glory to Rome. It has some similar feel to Race for the Galaxy, but where RftG is about elegance, GtR is about Chaos.

Finally, since you seem to be seeking a strong theme married to a good euro strategy, I would recommend Cyclades. It is hard to find a game with better components for the price. My favorite thing about Cyclades, though, is that it gives good engaging gameplay in a satisfying time frame. It takes about 90 minutes which, for me, is about the perfect time for a game to last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree about Notre Dame for 5. It's best with three. It uses a card-passing mechanic, and with 5, there are two players you get passed from, but none of your cards get to them.

If you can handle a game that can break with certain types of players, Container is quite fun. I don't have any of those players in my group, so it works fine. Though we have one who can't play games that break with certain kinds of players, so he won't play it. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic encounter. It like it best with 5. It is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.