Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A Game that Meets the Same Criteria as Tsuro? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a Christmas present for my son and his wife. They are not exactly new to boardgaming having played Settlers, Dominion, and RftG. They were looking for a party game last year and I presented them with Dixit and they have been very pleased with that.

He recently made a trip to his FLGS and asked for their recommendations for "a game that could be a party game (eg: quick to set up, easy to learn, at least 6 can play) or a couple game, and had the potential to get better with intoxication." Their recommendation was Tsuro. I'll be happy to include that in his family's Christmas bundle but I am hoping that, knowing his criteria, I can come up with another game that will maybe be all that and more to provide more of a surprise for him on the day.

Any suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion

Dice Town with Dice Town: Wild West

The Resistance
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungle Speed
Anomia
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyInRT wrote:
I'm looking for a Christmas present for my son and his wife. They are not exactly new to boardgaming having played Settlers, Dominion, and RftG. They were looking for a party game last year and I presented them with Dixit and they have been very pleased with that.

He recently made a trip to his FLGS and asked for their recommendations for "a game that could be a party game (eg: quick to set up, easy to learn, at least 6 can play) or a couple game, and had the potential to get better with intoxication." Their recommendation was Tsuro. I'll be happy to include that in his family's Christmas bundle but I am hoping that, knowing his criteria, I can come up with another game that will maybe be all that and more to provide more of a surprise for him on the day.

Any suggestions?


Presumably he is not in Saudi Arabia, then.

Tsuro is rather light, IMHO, and not really much of a party game. But if you like the idea of Tsuro, and especially if you are anygood at PnP, you might want to check out my Wend games that use the same tiles: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/8265/wend

I like Bunny Bunny Moose Moose as a game players party game. I suspect it goes well with alcohol. Ca$h 'n Gun$ may go down well, too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second The Resistance and Ca$h 'n Gun$!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Got Fantasy?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I think Tsuro is a quite terrible game. Your only choice is to put tiles and there's no skill or reason behind it, the game is too chaotic and unstable to plan anything, the best move is just avoiding getting close to other players because getting close means chaos gets through the roof and you are likely to die. To worsen that, as tiles are placed the board gets smaller so sooner or later you are forced to get close and the game turns into a gamble.


I agree with the suggestion of The Resistance It's fun, quick, very social and plays with many people. You can't play it 2 player tough, games that scale well from 2 to 6 or more are very rare.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
both Metro and Cable Car are similar to tsuro and play 2-6 without lengthy rules. i much prefer metro over tsuro.

Paris Connection is also an option that meets most of the criteria. it needs at least 3 players though, but can handle up to 6.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions so far.

AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

Presumably he is not in Saudi Arabia, then.


Ha, nice catch. No, he lives in the states so I'm forced to do all my gift shopping online.

General_Norris wrote:

I agree with the suggestion of The Resistance It's fun, quick, very social and plays with many people. You can't play it 2 player tough, games that scale well from 2 to 6 or more are very rare.


This is my feeling as well and the reason I asked for recommendations. I think it's going to be just too difficult to find a good game that plays with 6 as a party game that will scale to 2. I'm now thinking of maybe getting The Resistance as his party game and something else as his 2er. That just makes the decision more difficult though because there are just so many good 2ers out there. I'm thinking The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game since he's a big Tolkein fan but I don't know about her and I'm concerned that he may get bored of the base and need expansions soon. I don't know since I haven't played the game.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyInRT wrote:
I'm thinking The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game since he's a big Tolkein fan but I don't know about her and I'm concerned that he may get bored of the base and need expansions soon. I don't know since I haven't played the game.

Thoughts?
Hard to tell without them trying it. It has the advantage of being pretty good played solo (in my case I have only ever played solo - no chance of getting she-who-must-be-obeyed to play with me). So ever if she does not like it, it would not necessarily be a failure, just a failure as a 2 player game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I think Tsuro is a quite terrible game. Your only choice is to put tiles and there's no skill or reason behind it, the game is too chaotic and unstable to plan anything, the best move is just avoiding getting close to other players because getting close means chaos gets through the roof and you are likely to die.


If you are looking to Tsuro for a strategic game experience, you are looking at the wrong game.

Sometimes games just need the appearance of meaningful decisions to be an enjoyable gaming experience. Everything you say about Tsuro means that anyone can win, so it can be good for a family experience.

I use Tsuro quite a bit in library gaming settings; in fact, I think it's one of the best games to draw people over to the board game space from video games.

Why?

- It is very easy to teach.
- It is eye-catching.
- It makes sense from watching it.
- It plays 2-8 people.
- It has excitement, as you watch the pawns zipping around and wonder who will survive.
- Anyone can win, although players can make better choices to stay alive longer.

If the game took longer, then it wouldn't be a good choice. But for the time, it's a good choice for making an exciting game experience.

I then will introduce people to other games after Tsuro; it's the bait I use to draw people in to the board game space.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.