Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game and I do believe there is some metagaming strategy in this, but it seems many people put this off as a light game. After repeated plays, do you find the game to be deeper than originally thought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really... I have played it several times now and I can understand what you mean, but the game is so unpredictable, especially if you play with less than 5 players since in that case not all cards are being used in the game.

Since it is so unpredictable you just have to go with the flow and try to do the best with what you get. What I like about the game is the tension created by the card drafting, you never know (especially in the first round) what you're giving your opponent.

All cards are useful, but they're even better if the right combos are made.

You have too little control over what you can actually play for the game to be really deep. At least that's how I see it... I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do understand what you mean, however as Pedro above states, the lack of control makes it light for me. I know the kind of card combinations, tactical possibilities that can be employed, but you can only do so much with the drafting system.

No doubt it is a very very good game, but deep, not too sure in IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read some comparisons with 7 Wonders that argue that because you draft all your cards for the round and then play them together, there's more trying to figure out what opponents are doing (rather than knowing straight away), more hate drafting (you have 2 spots to do this with) and significant thought in deciding which 3 cards to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a 15-20 minute game, yes it's pretty deep. As fateswanderer alluded to, once you have a set of players who know what they're doing, hate drafting, deciding the order of playing, etc all become very important metagame elements.

To address the concerns of Pedrator, I would say you just need to change the amount of cards players get per round depending on the number of players. I know there is a discussions somewhere on these boards for this variant, though it's exclusive to 2 player.

Do something like this...

2 players - each player gets 10 cards, on a turn they draft one and discard one
3 players - each player gets 7 cards, on the first and second turns, they draft one and discard one, subsequent turns they just draft. You may want to play around with when a player discards and drafts so that there is more benefit to not letting opponents know what you took for a hand (ie discard/draft on third/fourth turns or something like that).
4 players - play normally
5 players - play normally

We've done the above in our group and it tends to work out nicely. You still get to see a bunch of the cards in the deck, and especially in a two player game, you're never quite sure which card your opponent kept and which one they discarded. This makes it harder to calculate out exactly what they're doing, and at least for us, made the game more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.