1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: Mammals seem to be overly powerful... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game group played our first ever game of Dominant Species. One player had played a fair amount before, but 2 of us were noobs. We played for more than 4 hours before finally calling it quits with roughly half the deck still to go before getting to the Ice Age.

The finishing order was exactly as the food chain; mammals, birds, arachnids. It seems the mammals' advantage on the food chain is overwhelming. In every case, a tie went to the mammal. Particularly in the last round when we added up the number of species in each hex, that player spent the round just seeding as many hexes as he could with species. He had the least number of Dominant Species on the Earth, but by far the most number of species on each. Since he would win every tie, he placed first or second on virtually every hex and cleaned up.

Despite the arachnids being well in front by the last round, there was nothing that player could do to prevent the over-seeding. It seems the food chain gives too much power to the higher species, particularly in the end game. After the game was over, the next time we played, everyone wanted to be mammal. What are we doing wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dare978devil wrote:
... Since he would win every tie, he placed first or second on virtually every hex and cleaned up.

You are aware, that the food chain does NOT decide ties in Dominance? Ties in Dominance result in neither species is dominant.

Only for the scoring of a hex, and thus for the number of species on a hex, the food chain resolves ties...

Edit: And you realized, that the special "power" of the mammals can only save ONE cube from extinction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 5-6 games.... the mammals never won.

(4 hours for half deck ? wow! You must be very slow!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_spy wrote:
I have played 5-6 games.... the mammals never won.

(4 hours for half deck ? wow! You must be very slow!)

Yeah, calculating and recalculating Dominance seemed to be the primary action in this game. 2 noobs makes for a lot of explaining, particularly for this game. We play many different pick-an-action games (Age of Empires, Stone Age, Pillars, Railroad Tycoon, etc.) but I have to say this was by far the most complicated.

Reply to Thomas : Yes, the number of species for scoring the hex (not for dominance). The mammals didn't even try to dominate many hexes, they had 2 or 3 for most of the game, while the birds and spiders had 6 or more. But scoring hexes, particularly in the last round, went overwhelmingly to the mammals. He controlled every sea and wetland hex, even though he was dominant on none of them, and just raked in the points. He was also second on virtually every other hex on the Earth by virtue of ties.

The problem was, anytime he moved into any hex, he always moved in with at least 2 species. Then the spider power was more or less useless. It also meant other species had to counter with at least 3 to reacquire the lead. So he just stuck mammals everywhere, and the birds and the spiders, even kind-of working together, could not contain him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, DS is pretty much an untested and broken game because of the super-epic mammal powers. No one yet has figured out a way to beat them. The really strange thing is that it's never been brought up in the forums. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol..you guys need more games in before you can say the game is broken or that one species is OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP: See all the threads that claim the opposite, that mammals are doomed because they can never get ahead on initiative.

You asked what you're doing wrong. I would say being a little too quick to draw conclusions on game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
OP: See all the threads that claim the opposite, that mammals are doomed because they can never get ahead on initiative.

You asked what you're doing wrong. I would say being a little too quick to draw conclusions on game balance.

...said the guy who's already modded Urban Sprawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dare978devil wrote:
Our game group played our first ever game of Dominant Species. One player had played a fair amount before, but 2 of us were noobs. We played for more than 4 hours before finally calling it quits with roughly half the deck still to go before getting to the Ice Age.

The finishing order was exactly as the food chain; mammals, birds, arachnids. It seems the mammals' advantage on the food chain is overwhelming. In every case, a tie went to the mammal. Particularly in the last round when we added up the number of species in each hex, that player spent the round just seeding as many hexes as he could with species. He had the least number of Dominant Species on the Earth, but by far the most number of species on each. Since he would win every tie, he placed first or second on virtually every hex and cleaned up.

Despite the arachnids being well in front by the last round, there was nothing that player could do to prevent the over-seeding. It seems the food chain gives too much power to the higher species, particularly in the end game. After the game was over, the next time we played, everyone wanted to be mammal. What are we doing wrong?

You really need to play this again before decrying how powerful one species is over another. Mammals are pretty weak overall due to their terrible initiative placement. I've played DS 5 times now and feel I have a good understanding of the game at this point to the level that I can teach it reliably to anyone. Mammals are on the low end of power but can still win (1 out of the 5 games I've played was won by the mammal player, 2 by the amphibian, 1 by insects and 1 by reptiles). It's too bad your first game took such a crazy amount of time to play - I know that can really sour people on a new game. DS is totally worth a second & third play imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mammals seem to be overly powerful...

Play another 6 times and come back and let us know.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I don't agree with the OP, when I play the game I do think that food-chain order ought to be variable. Having it fixed feels wrong to me. I have thought about amending the order by some mechanism such as dominance-ordered or species-count ordered.

Any views?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
Although I don't agree with the OP, when I play the game I do think that food-chain order ought to be variable. Having it fixed feels wrong to me. I have thought about amending the order by some mechanism such as dominance-ordered or species-count ordered.

Any views?

Yeah. You haven't played enough. Play six more times... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:

Any views?

I think that if after this amount of time since it was released, and all the plays logged on here, there is not a clear agreed opinion that animal X is 'best' (as there does not seem to be), then the most reasonable assumption is that Chad got the balance right. Thus I see no need to change things like the food chain or initiative order, as that would be likely to lead to imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I am at over 20 plays and I feel pretty sure that Mammals are not the best. They are pretty good, but the initiative penalty is a tough one to overcome, and they are likely to be devestated by the more destructive dominance cards and the last choice in placing pawns. This is not to say that they can't overcome this disability, it is just something that more than makes up for their tiebreaker advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
dwrigley wrote:

Any views?

I think that if after this amount of time since it was released, and all the plays logged on here, there is not a clear agreed opinion that animal X is 'best' (as there does not seem to be), then the most reasonable assumption is that Chad got the balance right. Thus I see no need to change things like the food chain or initiative order, as that would be likely to lead to imbalance.

I think that what I am saying is that my proposal is not intended to be a fix, but a variant in the sense that this gives another option to chase for (because yes, food-chain order MAY impact your particular strategy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:

Any views?

Food chain order variable? Is theme that meaningless to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the mammals are strong, but no more so than other animals. Having played the amphibians, insects, mammals, and birds in different games, each animal has their own set of strengths. This leads to a play style vastly different from animal to animal. Our group leans towards the amphibians being a very powerful animal. The next animal is up for debate, I lean towards birds, arachnids, and mammals. Others lean towards insects and reptiles.

Another consideration, three player games tend to have a lot more variance than a larger game. With 5 or 6 players, there is a ton of competition for the abundance and adaptation spots. Plus, the speciation track is much more competitive often locking people out of placing new species on the board in a spot they can eat. With fewer players this competition is not there. Also, I can see where this would work to the mammal player's advantage because his weakness in turn order is not as pronounced with fewer players.

I would suggest playing additional games with the multiple animals variant. There are some gamey moves that do creep into this (bird APs being used to place food for mammals, etc.) but the fact you are scoring your lowest animal ameliorates most of this.

Finally, some other tactics by other animals may unwittingly play into the mammals hands. A game that is high on competition will lead to fewer species on the board. This tends to hurt insects quite a bit since they lose ties, they need to have masses of species on the board. It can also hurt mammals as they tend to be spread out and tied for positions. Hitting one or two mammal species per turn can put a serious dent in this. If arachnids are hitting the guy with the most species on the tile, he could be playing into the mammals hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer wrote:
I think the mammals are strong, but no more so than other animals. Having played the amphibians, insects, mammals, and birds in different games, each animal has their own set of strengths. This leads to a play style vastly different from animal to animal. Our group leans towards the amphibians being a very powerful animal. The next animal is up for debate, I lean towards birds, arachnids, and mammals. Others lean towards insects and reptiles.

Another consideration, three player games tend to have a lot more variance than a larger game. With 5 or 6 players, there is a ton of competition for the abundance and adaptation spots. Plus, the speciation track is much more competitive often locking people out of placing new species on the board in a spot they can eat. With fewer players this competition is not there. Also, I can see where this would work to the mammal player's advantage because his weakness in turn order is not as pronounced with fewer players.

I would suggest playing additional games with the multiple animals variant. There are some gamey moves that do creep into this (bird APs being used to place food for mammals, etc.) but the fact you are scoring your lowest animal ameliorates most of this.

Finally, some other tactics by other animals may unwittingly play into the mammals hands. A game that is high on competition will lead to fewer species on the board. This tends to hurt insects quite a bit since they lose ties, they need to have masses of species on the board. It can also hurt mammals as they tend to be spread out and tied for positions. Hitting one or two mammal species per turn can put a serious dent in this. If arachnids are hitting the guy with the most species on the tile, he could be playing into the mammals hands.

Finally. Took nearly an entire page of replies before someone actually offered some helpful advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also since you only played half a game, did you score the end game Ice Age card or just jump ahead to the end game scoring? That would give a lot of points to the players with the dominant hexes which often counter act the hex scoring (or at least something seasoned players can take into account.)

Another thing you may not come across is that species that are killed are out of the game. There can get to be a point in the late stages of the game where you just don't have the cubes anymore to do what you need or want to do to keep up because you did such explosive growth early on. It's something you need to keep track of or else it'll bite you big time. Those mammals that were everywhere mid game could be long extinct by the time the end game rolls around.

Finally, you'll find there is a bit of group-think in the game, if your animal is percieved to be ahead mid game, you'll be the happy target of the harsher Dominance cards to come.

I've played 8-10 games so far and the insects have won about as much as the mammals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Finally. Took nearly an entire page of replies before someone actually offered some helpful advice.

I actually think it's harmful advice. Many people have complained about the multi-animal variant, and I think most of htem have been people not comfortable wit the game yet. I would stick with single animal per player for a while, then "upgrade" to multiple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:

:-)
My feelings exactly.

I was about to reply and underline "Mammals SEEM to be overly powerful", but your post says it all.

And John, thanks for the informative reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Not so. By the 5th post the most important piece of advice (get more experience of the game before deciding it is broken) had already been given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
curtc wrote:

...said the guy who's already modded Urban Sprawl.

Yes, for a completely different reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Maxwell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Kontor that Counting Office!
badge
Kontor that Counting Office!
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
DavidT wrote:
Not so. By the 5th post the most important piece of advice (get more experience of the game before deciding it is broken) had already been given.

I agree completely -- partly in the sense of "try it again and maybe you'll have a different opinion", and mainly because the game wasn't finished. If it is clear to the other players that the mammals are running away with the game, there are numerous opportunities to inflict damage through cards and attacks. This obviously would not be the case in a game where it was decided to call it quits early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
dwrigley wrote:

Any views?

Food chain order variable? Is theme that meaningless to you?

Thinking about this more ... maybe the food chain order should be based on the number of types of resources an animal has ? Therefore, as all animals start with one type, then no change in order from the default on ties, but as I become more omnivorous with more types, then I may be better suited on the food-chain order than an animal which relies on fewer types - so I beat it on the food-chain ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.