Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on an online tool and now it's working well enough for people to use. It is designed to help people with fairly large collections who want to to easily get a list of all their 3-player 60 minutes medium-weight games, for example.

You can find it at http://choosegame.appspot.com/

I prefer this over an excel sheet because I can access it from any computer, tablet, or phone in the house, which is often useful.

Messy details.

You need some sort of Google login since the system needs to store preferences.

If you try to load games from a BGG user who hasn't been seen before, the system will take a few minutes to load the game data, then it'll work as normal.

A few features since last time are expansions (and unranked games) are filtered out of the results.

Comments or feedback here or in geekmail. I use this application pretty regularly when I'm looking for something to play, so I'm hoping others might find it useful as well.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice tool! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of minor bugs have come up and been squashed, and the tool should be working for anyone who wants to use it.

Don't forget that it takes a couple of minutes to load your data if you've never used the tool before, but after that it's fine!

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome tool, I'm going to bookmark it right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now things mostly work, I'd like to ask people to tell me how easy or hard the UI selections are to use (the way they look will change as I have time).

In particular, would you use it to pick a game best with X, but also X+1 in case another person comes? Do you prefer using best with or recommended with for choosing games?

Thanks,
B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this. Is it also possible to add a part to cover wishhlist games? i.e. I want to buy a new game for three people of medium weight - which of my wishlist games best fits the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
I like this. Is it also possible to add a part to cover wishhlist games? i.e. I want to buy a new game for three people of medium weight - which of my wishlist games best fits the bill?

That's a little more difficult because the BGG interface it uses only grabs games that you actually own. I might have a look into what this would take, but it'll be quite a way down the feature list.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"IT" 'eschews' ROCK for 'moi'!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great tool! Just a couple of suggestions:

1) a filter that excludes games that are longer than X minutes. If you state that you have 120 minutes to play it should still list Dominion, which is shorter than 120 minutes.
2) a filter that excludes games that do not support less than X or more than X players. Sure, there is a "recommended with", but it feels a bit blunt. Maybe I like Twilight Imperium with three players, even though the BGG userbase does not recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice tool, thanks!

Would it be possible to include links to the game on BGG, so lazy people like me don't have to search for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
Very nice tool, thanks!

Would it be possible to include links to the game on BGG, so lazy people like me don't have to search for it?

That's actually super high on my own list of features. Expect it this weekend! :)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely cool! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I'll be putting this to use. Our game group spends way to much gaming time trying to decide what to play. Maybe this will help speed us to a decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MungSu wrote:
Extremely cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll be putting this to use. Our game group spends way to much gaming time trying to decide what to play. Maybe this will help speed us to a decision.

Once you have a small set, finger-voting. Really. It's the only way.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce - is this different than the BGG Advanced Search, using the "search games owned/specify user" criteria?

One feature that the BGG Advanced search doesn't have is the option to search multiple user collections at once. That would be handy for planning game nights for groups of "collectors" (you know who you are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's different in that it's faster to try out different criteria and streamlined to exactly answer questions about best with/recommended with which I care about far more than wild manufacturer guesses about number of players.

It also allows, now, easy switching among sets of data and is useable on a tablet or phone now and should get even easier once I fix the UI up a bit.

Multiple user collections (once they're loaded) would be actually quite easy to do, I might have a stab at it this weekend as well. Mind you, I also just failed to get any sleep at all tonight. Bah.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea!baconbacon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Feature!

IngredientX wrote:

This is now live. All the games should link to their BGG page and should open in a (single) new tab/window.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not to hijack this thread or take anything away from the work you've done, but in case anyone is not already aware, there is a downloadable app that works quite well: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/477878/whattoplay-a-download...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For one person on one computer. Those restrictions became annoying enough that I built this that gives you the same results from any tablet or phone you have to hand.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any bugs or other feedback? I'm looking a doing some UI tweaking this weekend.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.