1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Hello from a beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
t holla4
msg tools
Hi all,

I would really like to dive into gaming but need some help. I want to ask for a few games this Christmas and need help narrowing my list down. So far I'm looking at:

Ticket to Ride OR Railways of the World (I heard ticket is too simple?)
Settlers of Catan
7 Wonders
Puerto Rico
Dominion
The Resistance

I don't want anything too similar because I can probably only request 2-3 games. Also, it should be noted that my friends and I play magic:the gathering, and I would like to play these games with some of my family ( mom, dad, three sisters) as well as occasionally my gaming buddies. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You say beginner, but some of these are pretty hardcore games mixed in with the lightweights.

This dive seems a bit unfocused.

Think about your players and what they will play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is an EXCELLENT choice for a beginner gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From your list, I'd probably go with Ticket to Ride, Dominion and 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t holla4
msg tools
To clarify, I'm only a beginner in that I have no collection, not a complete gaming newbie. I'm just asking for what is the consensus on the must have-games for my situation. Thanks Dave and Shawn for the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
tholla4 wrote:
I'm only a beginner in that I have no collection, not a complete gaming newbie. I'm just asking for what is the consensus on the must have-games for my situation. Thanks Dave and Shawn for the responses!

There's no consensus really. Every person/group is different. What games have you enjoyed before? Have other people in your group played games? Which games have they enjoyed? Do you like games where you can attack each other directly or do you prefer games where each player is working on their own area and interacting more indirectly? Any length of game/number of player preferences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t holla4
msg tools
re:
I basically just want some fun, somewhat varied games to start of my collection. Not too sure on the specifics other than that the games need to support more than 2 people. Everyone is eager to try new games, just need to cut down the list a little bit based on the board's input to form a starting point. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is a fantastic gateway game that even your gaming buddies might enjoy. But it does really really need the Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 expansion which replaces all the cards in the game (with normal sized cards) and adds extra tickets (the part that is necessary IMO).

Dominion will more than likely be a hit with your buddies and might be a hit with your family. We didn't like it, but plenty of people do.

Finca is a very easy to learn and beautiful game with more depth than is at first apparent. Your family will love it but I don't know about your buddies. Plays 2-4 well.

Airlines Europe is another gateway game that is also fun for gamers. Alan Moon created it (TtR fame) and while it looks similar to TtR it is actually an economic game of collecting sets of stocks and trying to drive up the market for the ones you own by buying licenses for the different airlines. Very interesting and will likely be appreciated by both groups. Plays 2-5 well.

Metropolys is a deceptively simple to learn game with some silly looking tokens that hides a very fun game with lots of depth. Through a very slick and fun auction mechanic, you try to maneuver your opponent(s) into allowing you to fulfill your secret objectives by placing your building pieces where you want them. Should be fun for both groups. Plays 2-4 well, though more chaotic with more players.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Click on the "BGG Gift Guide" icon on the left of the page for your starting point - other than the games that just came out this year, most of the suggestions are or were in everyone's collections at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t holla4
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions Kathy! I still have a few days to decide but I'll be sure to report back here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you list, I would recommend:

Ticket to Ride - Great for non-gamers to get into. I was able to introduce my anti-gaming father-in-law to this and he enjoyed it

Settlers - Good for gaming buddies, I'd say this is probably the most pointed-to game for gateway gamers

Puerto Rico - A good gateway Euro. Good for Gamer buddies, may/may not work well for the family, depending on whether they like cubes.

7 Wonders - If you play draft magic, you'll enjoy this. If you've tried draft magic and didn't like this, skip it.

Dominion - If you like deckbuilding magic, you'll enjoy this, If you don't like deckbuilding, skip it.

I would recommend the first 3 and either the 4th or the 5th depending on the style of Magic you enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to un-narrow your list, but Small World should also be considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t holla4
msg tools
Deroche wrote:

Click on the "BGG Gift Guide" icon on the left of the page for your starting point - other than the games that just came out this year, most of the suggestions are or were in everyone's collections at some point.

Wow great feature. Thanks

Geosphere wrote:
I hate to un-narrow your list, but Small World should also be considered.

No problem haha. Looks interesting, Thanks!

Thanks alenen as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, getting into gaming is an art not a science. I think you're jumping in with both feet and I like that approach!

From the games you have suggested with fun being the key term I would go with the following:

1: Catan: I love this game. Yes it does get picked on these days but for an early game, it will deliver. Max number of players 4! So mom and dad can work on the dinner . This game also has expansions, none of which we all agree on, but it can get more complicated if you wish.

2: Ticket to Ride: Yup, with Catan this is another of the holy trinity. Very much recommend it. It is more fun than any other train game... not as deep but more fun. 3-5. So again Dad can do the dishes

3: The Resistance: you need 5 players for this one. If you have the players then I recommend it.

7 Wonders: A newer one, seems well loved. I'm on the fence.
Dominion: Love it or hate it. It's deck building... or solitaire play depending on who you are. I suspect you will enjoy it but coming from MTG it may seem a little bit too structured without enough attack. Might not work for a family.
Puerto Rico: I would not buy this if you want a fun game. It's clever and after a number of games with the same people it might become fun but it's high risk. Worst thing about it is a feeling of solitaire play. I wouldn't buy it again if I had my time. It's good but not a good time.

So my thoughts are:
Catan, Ticket to Ride and after some distance The Resistance.

If I had free reign to recommend any five games for you:

Catan, Ticket to Ride
Dixit:Fun Surealist picture game for people you love. 4-6+
Kingsburg: Very simple but deep dice euro, clever and fun. 2-5
Pandemic: A Cooperative, you are all on the same side, fighting a pandemic that threaten to end humanity. Fun and Clever and simple, 2-5

Oh I notice lots of these are in the top 100 list. The top 100 list will not represent your top 100 games. Do be careful not to get lured into games that you will never play.
In the future you may need to get some nasty combat games explicitly for your MTG group. In this case see the Small World recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t holla4
msg tools
Thanks for the detailed post! I appreciate the suggestions as well, I like the idea of a cooperative game,Pandemic. I feel I might hold off on Dominion simply due to its deck-building nature being a bit similar to MTG. Yeah regarding the top- 100 list, I thought it would be a good place to start, I wasn't aware of the BGG gift guide haha.

It seems Ticket to Ride is pretty well agreed upon! Unfortunately when I play games it is either 2 players or 5 players so I'm unsure about Settlers of Catan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tholla4 wrote:
Thanks for the detailed post! I appreciate the suggestions as well, I like the idea of a cooperative game,Pandemic. I feel I might hold off on Dominion simply due to its deck-building nature being a bit similar to MTG. Yeah regarding the top- 100 list, I thought it would be a good place to start, I wasn't aware of the BGG gift guide haha.

It seems Ticket to Ride is pretty well agreed upon!

Check out Forbidden Island by same designer as Pandemic, similar mechanics, might be more accessible theme for family, might be too light for buddies. We actually like it better and I think that's due to theme, plus we like the board made of tiles vs the cubes as diseases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we could muddy the water if you wish :

Ticket to Ride 3-5
Ticket to Ride: Europe 3-5
Ticket to Ride: Märklin Complicates the base game but does not deliver. Best just to get one of the deeper train games.
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries Good with small numbers 2-3
Ticket to Ride: Switzerland Good with small numbers 2-3

In your case you want:
Ticket to Ride: The original set in the US. Elegant game that allows you to block other player's routes.
Ticket to Ride: Europe: The contender, is set in Europe (What were the odds). Less elegant with a few extra rules, one includes the use of stations allowing players to use other players train links to complete their route thus making blocking routes impossible.

Both are very good versions. One is slight more nasty and marginally more elegant; the other is marginally less elegant but less cut throat.
Rule books:
TTR: http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/content/rules_tt...
TTRE: http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/content/rules_te...

I pretty much always scan the rules of a game before I buy it. Not all rule books are online but most are.

Ps:
Forbidden Island does offer a more accessible version of Pandemic but both are simple. Unfortunately they are very very similar.

Rules:
P: http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/pandemic.htm
FI: http://gamewright.com/gamewright/index.php?section=games&pag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally, on this list that isn't crossed off I would pick 7 wonders. I have played it many times already and look forward to many more plays.

Ticket to Ride is really simple but still entertaining.

Settlers isn't that great if you ask me and you can almost certainly pick it up on the cheap somewhere so you don't have to ask for xmas.

Puerto Rico is awesome and worthy of getting, but heavy in comparison.

Dominion is great not sure why it is crossed off.

Haven't played Resistance but have heard good things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juggernaut J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ticket to Ride - even without the expansion its fun but in this case the more the merrier - with two players there is not much interaction. However help is at hand there with the India/Switzerland map expansion. Once you've got the basic game you can always add this at a later date if you find playing the big game with just two players less than satisfying.

I have a love/hate relationship with Settlers - it annoys the heck out of me but I keep coming back for more. You can still play it with two players and the Seefarers expansion makes it more fun, I think.

What I would recommend though is Agricola - you have the basic game to play with family and the advanced game for more experienced players. It's a good allrounder: it's not too serious, the theme is interesting, it's definately fun to play and it looks good too. The only drawback I can see is the price but it is well worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
tholla4 wrote:

It seems Ticket to Ride is pretty well agreed upon! Unfortunately when I play games it is either 2 players or 5 players so I'm unsure about Settlers of Catan...

Thinking about playing with your family, I'm going to add some suggestions. The games below are relatively inexpensive, have good strategy, but are very quick to learn and teach (meaning you could open them on Christmas and be playing them 5 minutes later). They are also games I've had success playing with both gamers and non-gamers and are small and cheap enough to make a good addition to your collection.

With 5 players, you may want to check out Citadels. It has a very simple ruleset and can be learned in 3 minutes (which is good if you are playing with non-gamers), and can be quite fun. The box says it plays up to 8, but I wouldn't play with more than 6 (otherwise the game gets REALLY slow).

Also, it's relatively cheap ($15-18), so it could be added in there with others.

Another fun, quick game is Coloretto, which plays from 2-5 players. This game is a big hit with my in-laws and my grandmother - card players but not 'game players' (I don't think I could ever get them to play Settlers with me), and is also beloved by some of my hard-core magic playing friends. $10 on Amazon.

I would second The Resistance. The first time I played it, it did fall flat, but I've since played it 7 more times and loved it. The only person whose ever had a problem with the rules is my friend the pediatric neurosurgeon. Maybe it's because he went to Princeton. Everyone else I've taught it to has been drunk and disorderly and loved it. (we even played in in Vegas once while pre-gaming in the room).

I saw a lady this morning with a Settlers bumper sticker on her scooter. It's a classic, and out of all the games listed, the mostly likely game you'll play with a non-BGG stranger.

My wife loves PR, but I too find it a bit dry. Try the iOS app if you want to see how it plays.

I would also second Forbidden Island if you are looking for a coop. I've found that with coops usually one player ends up telling everyone what to do and it gets a bit old. However, lots of people love them. Forbidden Island will let you find out how you feel about coops for about half the price as Pandemic.

You didn't mention party games anywhere, but those are also fun.

Say Anything is a great game as is Dixit, although Dixit stresses out my wife too much. She's ESL so misses some of the analogies or cultural references which make the game fun.

Either way,
have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for smallworld. It was a big hit with my magic the gathering buddies, but it's also easy enough that you can play with your family too. I think you might get bored with ticket to ride fairly quickly. It's a good game, but after a few plays nothing really kept me coming back. When I first started out I got small world fairly early on and it was a great decision. 7 wonders is also a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tholla4 wrote:

Depending on the tastes of your family and non-M:tG friends, you might want to look at some more thematic gateway games: Adventure Gateways.

Of the games on your list, I'd go with 7 Wonders, Settlers and the Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Dominion is a must on that list. I hav't played resistance but the others are not in the same category of yummy goodness as Dominion...

Dominion is the reason I am into gaming now and I don't think any of those games could have created the love of gaming I have now except Dominion. Although they are quite good...

Beyond Dominion I would recommend 7 wonders and TTR. Both are quite enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to ride gets my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Furness
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also consider Carcassonne. It's a classic that is simple to learn, great for family play, scales well (we love 2 player match-ups), and gets fairly deep with expansions.

We've also had great success and a lot of fun playing Stone Age, Tobago, and Blokus with friends and family.

FWIW, we purchased the base Settlers of Catan game a few years ago and ended up regifting it later that year. Probably better with the expansions, but without it gets old fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.