JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow geeks! It's Monday! The weekend is now over, and as we toil at our assorted labors, we should recount our past weekend gaming exploits.

So, all you weekend gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of weekend gaming greatness, as you pop in here to answer the question:
What did you play this weekend?

The Geeklist version can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/78280/what-did-you-pla...

Check out the subscription thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4115320 Subscribe so you don't miss a single moment of the fun!

Between work, my company Christmas party, and the fallout from that. I played very few games. I did get two games of Utopian Rummy in saturday morning. And an aborted attempt at cards Against Humanity at the party

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo X2

Dominion

It was my first time playing either of those games. In King of Tokyo, at the start, it took about 8 rolls before someone rolled a claw to see who would start. I won the first game by staying in Tokyo just long enough to get 20 victory points but almost no health.

I must say, I did not find Dominion as fun as it's cracked up to be. This could be because there are so many options as far as cards to buy, and hard to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I got away for a couple of days to start the weekend early and celebrate our upcoming anniversary.

Thurs
2x Race for the Galaxy - lost both 30-31 and 31-41

Fri
2x Agricola - won both 48-28 and 35-27. Our first time with the Minor Improvements and Occupation cards.
1x Rivals for Catan - lost 11-13

Sat
1x Rivals for Catan - won 13-9

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
De Waey Joeri
Belgium
Oostende
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played 1 game this weekend:

20th Century

but what a great game ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...well, we intended to play Axis & Allies: Pacific, but when my friend pulled his copy down from the shelf, we discovered quickly that most of the U.S. pieces were missing. No idea where they went, since the whole game was there a year ago when he last played it.

So, instead we played Shattered States, which I played and taught frequently/regularly in the late 90s, but have not taught or played in a about five years now.

At the end of turn four, I came just a die roll away from automatic victory. On the last turn dash to victory, a couple of die rolls decided the game against me. I ended up one space short (I failed to capture the Stargate location so that I can get off this planet) of the win.

[sigh]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit Odyssey
Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a light gaming weekend.

Played a game of Letters from Whitechapel with my wife, she was jack and I was the cops. I arrested her on the second day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't have much time to play games. Friday night we went to a gig, and didn't get home until near midnight. Still, played a round of Munchkin + Super Munchkin blend with a few of my regular gaming friends who were also at the show

Saturday went to visit Köln for the christmas markets. The plan was to drop some people off at their home and then play Small World for the first time with 3 people. But the others all decided they wanted to come to our place also, and since they never play board games we pulled out Carcassonne again.

Sunday I was home alone so stuck to video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevyn Hey
United States
Alfred
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to try Space Alert at my gaming group this weekend, and it was tons of fun. Even though we only went up to Tutorial Level two, we met marginal success and had a blast. I would definitely love to play this one again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Lewis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a brilliant weekend!!! a real gaming paradise

5x games of Eminent Domain

1x A Game of Thrones second edition

1x Citedels

2x Star Trek Fleet captain (4 player)

1x Cuba

My head hurts, to much thinking this weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to try the 2nd edition of Game of Thrones. It is one of my favorite games. Some of the additional tweaks were great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
Board game night is becoming a regular thing at my house, with many of the same faces showing up week after week. The group fluctuates in size, with the smallest being 4 and the largest so far at 8. This time we landed right in the middle at 6 players.

We started the night by rolling some dice in Quarriors! as we waited for the last 2 of our group to arrive. We wrapped up the game just as our 5th and 6th players showed up.

The night really started when as we cracked open a brand new copy of The Resistance, a game which none of us had ever played before, but that I purchased to handle nights when I'm hosting a large group. The verdict: everything I read about this one is true, It's the perfect social game (more on this at the end).

After that we had a nice intro to 7 Wonders for the 2 people who had never played it. My roommate ended up winning, but not before attempting to tally up his score without writing it down. His first count sounded high so I told him to do it again, he came up with a different number so I told him to double check, this time using paper. He protests... 4 counts and 4 different totals later he decides to use a score card, while remarking "I don't usually use the score cards when I play." To which there is an almost resounding choral response of "Then you are not scoring the game correctly whenever you play." All of this is friendly. He's just kind of a character (more on that later).

We finished the evening with a round of Ascension, including the expansion, that just seemed to go on forever. Stupid little victory point crystals just could not end up in front of us fast enough.

By the time we finished it was past midnight. A nice 6 hour session full of cocktails, take-out chinese, and laughter.

Of course no trip report is complete without some highlights. And I can think of no better moment than this gem (though the 7 wonders scoring fiasco comes close). This comes courtesy of my roommate during our 3rd round of The Resistance. We're only played with 6 people so there are only two spies. For the first mission I pick my roommate and another friend as the operatives, the two people sitting closest to me clockwise. The vote passes, mission cards are flipped and both show failures. Clearly they're both spies. We've got this covered. We vote both of their mission assignments down and finally get to the person sitting opposite me at the far end of the table. We approve the mission, results are chosen, flipped... and one of them is a failure. My roommate then explains that he had a feeling that the person who went with him on the first mission was a spy so in order to force us to think that way, he voted failure. Obviously this kind of logic makes absolutely no sense to a normal human being, but this is not a normal human being. This is exactly the type of logic that my roommate would use instead of doing the normal thing and, you know, just implicating him by saying "I think he's a spy." The spies end up winning that round thanks to my roommate and his genius explanation coming a round too late. At least he was right about one of the spies. Almost vindicated... but not quite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword of Rome-
I played two games of this. One Sturday and one Sunday with two different groups. The first game was a disaster as we totally messed up a bunch of rules. The second was epic as Rome was leading throughout much of the game, but a concerted effort to beat down Rome changed the tide and allowed the greeks to pull out a tiebreaking victory over Rome on the last turn and the last card.

Space Empires: 4X-
I really have mixed feeling on this one. On the one hand I enjoyed playing it and I thought about the game after I played it which to me is the sign of a good game. On the other hand though the tracking of your units is difficult as is all the accounting that is needed in the game. I can see where there would be far too many opportunites for players to make inadvertant mistakes as there is virtually no way to check what players are doing. That and the rulebook is extremely poorly written.

Guillotine-
Quick filler game for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had an inkling to play some Axis & Allies for some reason. I haven't played any of them in years so this weekend I played D-Day three times, with the US winning once and I also started a game of Battle of the Bulge because to my knowledge I've never played it. Hopefully tonight I can finish it and get a few more games in this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Ticket to Ride Nordic, Dominion Intrigue, twice, Asara and Pandemic, loosing by a smidge... Fun and games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed lee
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid - 1
Urban Sprawl - 2
Glen More - 1

I was a good weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually played poker for the first time and am very proud to not have lost money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Warhammer campaign is back on track.

Played Hollowpoint again... love it!

Created a new character for Spirit of the Century... for next week.

Cracked open Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Mondo with the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cyborganizer
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror, with the Dark Pharoah expansion. Going up against Azathoth, we managed to lose sight of the prize, as it were, and suddenly found ourselves in a position with four open gates and no means to close any of them. We sprung into action, but it was too late - Azathoth emerged, and we were consumed.

Hey, That's My Fish!. Brilliant game. Spent two turns not really thinking about what I was doing, and then all of a sudden, it clicked, and though I didn't win, it left me eager to play again.

Bohnanza, for the second time - something about it didn't really gel in the same way as the first time I played this game. Still fun, but maybe not the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hosted a bunch of high school kids for the weekend so I got alot more gaming in than usual! I played:

7 games of For Sale winning 3 times.
3 games of Stone Age winning 2 times.
1 game of Fresco which I lost.
1 game of Macao which I won.
1 game of 5p Settlers which I won.

I was impressed with how quickly the kids picked up the strategy in the games as well as their willingness to try so many new ones!

I still can not get my head around Fresco for some reason! For some reason I find a good strategy in this game harder to pick up than in Macao, Puerto Rico,as well as many other games weighted higher. Has anyone else found Fresco strategy hard to figure out? Or does anyone else have a different relatively easy game that you similarly can't get your head around?

Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phone post so no links
Tigres and Euphrates
Kingdom builder - cute and fun if flawed game
New York
Lotr lcg
Fleet (coming soon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
We kicked off our first two games of
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Timeline: Inventions x 1
RoboRally x 1
PitchCar x 1
Diamant x 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because all the guys on Saturday game night were role players too, we decided to pull out a classic: Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) with all its expansions. After 4 hours, the Dragon Rider won.

The we took it a little lighter for relaxation and played to games of Fluxx, followed by two games of Monty Python Fluxx.

To outweigh all the fluxx-silliness, we had a game of Race for the Galaxy, and then we played Feudality. I love these Tom Wham games!!!

After two games of King of Tokyo. we wanted another dice game before going home, and so we played Nichtlustig; thus ending a great evening.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played SMALLWORLD 8 times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.