GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games going out of print rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

I'm sure I'm not alone in being caught unawares by a game not being reprinted then watching the dwindling inventory evaporate before my eyes.

Like many, I have a lot of games on my "buy list" and it would be great if there was some central source for this kind of information so I can sequence my game buying habits so I'm not left without a copy of a game I thought was going to be around "for awhile."

Is there a such a place that maintains that information, rather than relying on the rumor mill.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I surmise this can only happen on a publisher-by-publisher basis.

And even then, the only one I know of that advertises such information is Clash of Arms. They maintain a list of "Endangered" games, letting readers know they will soon be gone.

I know some wargame companies (e.g.: Multi Man Publishing) will let you know when games are out of print, but by then it's too late!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
your best bet is to check the BGG page of that game. people will post about it. you'll also see that the prices of the game are getting jacked up in the marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's what I've been doing. Was just hoping there was a more efficient way I didn't know about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
johncraven wrote:
your best bet is to check the BGG page of that game. people will post about it. you'll also see that the prices of the game are getting jacked up in the marketplace.

I know this advice is well-meaning, but I think that's what this poster is trying to avoid in the first place.

Like, I have about 100 or so games on my, "that would be cool" list. I can't check each and every page. For instance, antike. TWS had 6 copies of it. Lots of them in the marketplace.

I swear I was checking-up on it on a monthly basis... va va voom, it's out of print and all the copies are gone.

Same story with Le Havre right now, if you were looking for it. (don't panic, I'm sure it's just between printings)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mtgjudge wrote:
Hello All,

I'm sure I'm not alone in being caught unawares by a game not being reprinted then watching the dwindling inventory evaporate before my eyes.

Like many, I have a lot of games on my "buy list" and it would be great if there was some central source for this kind of information so I can sequence my game buying habits so I'm not left without a copy of a game I thought was going to be around "for awhile."

Is there a such a place that maintains that information, rather than relying on the rumor mill.

Thanks in advance!

The best stuff I've found so far, is looking on boardgameprices.com and seeing if there are a lot of 'yellow' crates next to each game.

The next best thing is getting to know the company, the type of game. Zoch Verlag is borderline schizophrenic when it comes to publishing games in quantities enough to get to the states. You never know if it's going to be a Tobago/Niagara or a Hamsterolle/Mord im Arosa.

Fantasy Flight is rarely out of print for good. Hans im Gluck is pretty good about keeping things sustainably printable. Alea is...alea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This data can't exist as its publisher to publisher and distributer to distributer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.