Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had played that games many many years ago. It had given me an OK feeling. Nothing special, not bad, not good, a bit exciting sometimes, a bit dull other times.

The last years I played some good solo wargames, from Fields of Fire (my favorie ever) and the Battle of Hue: A week in Hell to all the leatherneck et al goodies of Battlehymn.

So the other day I played two scenarios from the campaign of Patton's Best. It was sooo boring. I was taken aback from the level of boredom that this game gave me.

I will play one two more scenarios to fully check it but I think I will soon put it in the self.

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review/flash-back. I think it's good to compare these things. All too often I have found my nostalgia for something to "color over" its flaws and esp. in comparison to modern games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the same thing with both Patton's Best and Ambush. Old school solo games concentrated on detail & simulation, not on playability. I'm worried about breaking out B-17 again... shake I did an analysis of Patton's best once that proved it's tables were directly converted from ASL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but the Raid on St. Nazaire still rocks in my book!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd forgotten that one. The rules are long, but each action taken is simple enough. It might still work. I do remember losing too many games even before my Commandos landed though... shake

There's Mosby's Raiders too, but Carrier and Phase Line Smash I think I'll give a miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You guys are very quick . Yes, nostalgia is tempting but can kill nice memories. This is the reason I dread to play B-17 again.shake

Raid on St Nazair is a bit fiddly game, but I used to like it much, even if the boat phase was pretty tedious.

After Patton's Best, I plan to replay the last three missions of Battle Hymn and then start again the Peloponesean War. However, I think I am terribly spoiled by Ranger and Fields of Fire

Solo wargamers of the worl, unite!

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michalis30 wrote:
Raid on St Nazair is a bit fiddly game, but I used to like it much, even if the boat phase was pretty tedious.
Commandos Sur Saint-Nazaire... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Better game than the Raid?

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Better? Hmm... maybe not.

Smaller, faster, cheaper & simpler, yes!

(And it abstracts out the landing phase with a few die rolls...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi guys,

just to balance out the replies here, I'll just say 'Patton's Best' still gives me the buzz!

I love it!

But each to their own!

Regards,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
... I'm worried about breaking out B-17 again... shake

Michalis30 wrote:
You guys are very quick . Yes, nostalgia is tempting but can kill nice memories. This is the reason I dread to play B-17 again.shake

M.

Trust your heart, leave your worries, B 17 waits you both sauron

Only 24 missions left fot the 4th play by the forum campaign.
You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whip Cracker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I found the same thing with both Patton's Best and Ambush. Old school solo games concentrated on detail & simulation, not on playability. I'm worried about breaking out B-17 again... shake I did an analysis of Patton's best once that proved it's tables were directly converted from ASL...

...sounds good to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maddogwood wood
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Greetings! I purchased a copy of 'Patton's Best' back in 1990. My respect for the game has never waned. Four years ago I passed my VERY worn copy of 'Patton's Best' on to my nephew who is an avid gamer and organizes various role player gaming conventions. Last I saw of him playing 'Patton's Best' he was stacking the deck against himself by battling against a Pz VIe Tiger with his 'Easy Eight'(Lots of maneuvering!). I'm planning to purchase a new copy of this classic game, with it's new counters and such. With lots of historical insight, imagination AND coffee this classic solitaire gaming system can deliver the goods! Hey! Where are some good on-line places to buy this puppy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey W
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:

Out of curiousity, is there a more modern board game equivalent to Patton's Best? The BBG recommendations read the same as the old Avalon Hill catalog in my Patton's Best box and I've not heard of anything else remotely similar. I'd love to try a updated version of a similar concept...I just don't know if one actually exists...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maddogwood wood
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It does seem that to become or remain a Pattons Best gamer, one will inevitably become a "Grognard". Example: "Some of those Shermans had their M-Deuces (M-2 .50 cal Machine Gun) mounted all the way on top of the rear of the turret so that the commander had to come completely out of the turret to fire it from behind the turret. How do you show THAT in the game?" The result...more intricate rules...and "Thou hast become a 'Grognard'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.