Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In the running sidebar of the Mayfair rules, it mentions (forgive the paraphrase from memory, as I don't have the rules handy) that the reason why a full sequence of Operating Rounds is run after the bank is busted in a Stock Round is to prevent a financial swindle too devastating even for 1830. The rules now diffuse this situation, but if it hasn't occurred to the reader, the rules ask them to consider if they are a big enough crook to really make it as a big-time stock racketeer (memorable bit of language there, even if it is probably poorly paraphrased on my part).

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize the swindle-- at least, I think I realized it: if the game were to end immediately when the bank was busted, instead of at the end of the next sequence of Op. Rounds, if someone who was significantly invested in several rails sold all the shares they could in one go so that they might bust the bank, they would garner lots of bucks, greatly devaluing the shares held by all other players at the end of the game. Do I have the right of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
In the running sidebar of the Mayfair rules, it mentions (forgive the paraphrase from memory, as I don't have the rules handy) that the reason why a full sequence of Operating Rounds is run after the bank is busted in a Stock Round is to prevent a financial swindle too devastating even for 1830. The rules now diffuse this situation, but if it hasn't occurred to the reader, the rules ask them to consider if they are a big enough crook to really make it as a big-time stock racketeer (memorable bit of language there, even if it is probably poorly paraphrased on my part).

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize the swindle-- at least, I think I realized it: if the game were to end immediately when the bank was busted, instead of at the end of the next sequence of Op. Rounds, if someone who was significantly invested in several rails sold all the shares they could in one go so that they might bust the bank, they would garner lots of bucks, greatly devaluing the shares held by all other players at the end of the game. Do I have the right of it?

That is the swindle to which they are referring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also:

A financial swindle which is too devastating even for 1830
"A financial swindle ... too devastating even for 1830."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:

:facepalm:

Great, so now I'm that guy.blush

I swear, I did search the forum for it-- just not very well, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, this site doesn't have the most impressive search functionality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
To be fair, this site doesn't have the most impressive search functionality.

I strongly recommend using an external search engine to find forum things.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:boardgamegeek.com+a+fina...

In contrast, the internal game-search is often better because you get a lightweight interstitial search result list that you can use to edit plays etc.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.