Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent M
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another preview: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2872

Can't wait to pick it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Exiting previews. I'd love to pre-order a copy through Cool Stuff Inc, but I just blew a wad there getting all the '11 expansions!

Tempting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small but awesome preview. I wonder how soon till we get full spoilers on this set... I'm still curious what the balance of player vs. encounter cards is going to be.

I like how the Goblin Swordsman shadow effect functions; he goes into the staging area to hinder your next quest and then engage the following round. It's like he's on his way but he hasn't arrived yet, you can hear him scrabbling off in the distance. I also like how easily the system allows for "swarming" the players with weak enemies without altering the core rules.

That location is really bad for someone relying on Northern Tracker; nasty effect while in the staging area and 7 progress to complete. I'm guessing they are gonna have to rely on locations like this to keep Northern Tracker from being overpowered, and also to cause more strategic dilemmas for players about when and how to travel to certain locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I believe they have dealt well with Northern Tracker. The card seemed super powerful for the core quests but I have not relied on it much during the whole Mirkwood cycle (even though he still ruled the Hunt). It does and shall remain a very useful card but I see not problem of it being over-powered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kikel
msg tools
Have you tried Emyn Muil?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
fozzwald wrote:

If you were asking me, yes, I have tried the whole cycle. I have beaten Emyn Muil every time (played about five or six only, though) and never once used Northern Tracker. Cards like Snowbourn Scout, The Riddermark's Finest, Ride to Ruin, combined with Stand and Fight, Dwarven Tomb, Mustering the Rohirrim, are more than enough for this type of quest, I feel (and experienced).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is no glory in defeating opponent if you have major advantage from the beginning. We see that Khazad Dum will be not quest heavy, but combat heavy instead. Fragile Rohan forces will probably be destroyed utterly, and players will start designing decks built for combat. And what will happen when they bring such combat oriented decks against Emyn Muil?

I really think we will see some rock-paper-scissors action.

Btw Norther Tracker shines against Hunt For Gollum, but in Emyn Muil he can die easily. Don't get me wrong, he is a great card, but does not win the game when he hits the board (which happens a lot in Hunt For Gollum: when tracker comes into play I may count the game as a victory and reshuffle all decks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
guciomir wrote:
There is no glory in defeating opponent if you have major advantage from the beginning. We see that Khazad Dum will be not quest heavy, but combat heavy instead. Fragile Rohan forces will probably be destroyed utterly, and players will start designing decks built for combat. And what will happen when they bring such combat oriented decks against Emyn Muil?

I really think we will see some rock-paper-scissors action.

Btw Norther Tracker shines against Hunt For Gollum, but in Emyn Muil he can die easily. Don't get me wrong, he is a great card, but does not win the game when he hits the board (which happens a lot in Hunt For Gollum: when tracker comes into play I may count the game as a victory and reshuffle all decks)

My words, pretty much. Especially the last bit.

But the first as well. I hope to see more combat oriented. For a coop game, we enjoy combining a Rohan deck with Imrahil, Boromir, Legolas as a killing trio supported by the Eagles (all except Landroval who I find rather lack-luster). The second deck was quite useless in Emyn Muil or Dead Marshes but the first could usually take care of the questing anyways. The second one really shines in Carrock and Return to Mirkwood. I am quite sure Moria and its surroundings will bring new perils that may require new strategies though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kikel
msg tools
jpraibis wrote:
fozzwald wrote:

If you were asking me, yes, I have tried the whole cycle. I have beaten Emyn Muil every time (played about five or six only, though) and never once used Northern Tracker. Cards like Snowbourn Scout, The Riddermark's Finest, Ride to Ruin, combined with Stand and Fight, Dwarven Tomb, Mustering the Rohirrim, are more than enough for this type of quest, I feel (and experienced).

You had mentioned that you didn't see a problem of Northern Tracker being overpowered. I asserted that the presence of a Northern Tracker or two completely evacuates Emyn Muil of any challenge it might have had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, as the above post said, I do not quite agree with that. I think the quest in general is not very difficult. If the cards get nasty though, there is the treachery that hits every quester by 2, plus there is Necromance'r reach, so your two trackers can be done in a hurry. As I said, the card is great, but I actually never missed it in Enym Muil and I do not think it destroyes the quest for inexperienced deck-builders and players as they might still struggle big time during the quest; nor does it have an aswer for everything - like a couple of bad treacheries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.