Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the fog of war (blocks), card events and hidden orders, i wonder how much control a player has.

Is the winner determined by the best strategy overall or by the best bluff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Players have as much control as one could have in "the fog of war". But seriously, I have played it twice and I think if you have a good strategy you will be well served, there is bluffing for sure, but that adds to the realism of war, the unpredictable nature of it. The main thing I found is to be wary of keeping your units in supply and know when to take a chance when the opportunity arises. I have liked it a lot so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this game yet, but in other block games bluffing can be a very effective part of the strategy. I found this especially true with Rommel in the Desertfor some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the game will be won pretty evenly based on overall strategy, smaller scale tactics, and deceiving/bluffing the enemy.

The blocks, like in most block games I've played, don't add a huge amount of fog of war. You will generally know what's there (either because it's still the same as a set up or you've engaged that group of blocks in battle or "reconed" them before.)

Card Events can have a huge effect, for sure, and can surprise, but they are in short supply and playing one is very expensive to do.

The orders provide the most bluffing and fog of war, but there are only so many good places to attack, and one can choose to play conservative and account for all the major possibilities, so it depends on how "risky" the player wants to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
The blocks, like in most block games I've played, don't add a huge amount of fog of war. You will generally know what's there (either because it's still the same as a set up or you've engaged that group of blocks in battle or "reconed" them before.)

As a point of comparison, I'd say that fog of war from the blocks is far less than in Napoleon's Triumph, where strengths of units deployed at start is unknown. This is balanced by combat resolution, which is entirely deterministic in NT, but in SOTE typically involves drawing cards for combat bonuses, which can range from 0 to 4.

I find the interactive order placement fascinating in SOTE, providing the ability to feint and bluff along with a fine balance between planning and reaction. Altogether a fascinating system.

(Note: I've only played SOTE once so far, so weigh my comments accordingly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.