Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Comeaux and I (Greg Schloesser) met a bit earlier and finally completed this epic struggle. Entering turn 8, it looked as though Jon had me over the proverbial barrel. I had just lost Hannibal (see last week's report) and all of his troops, and Mago was defeated and his troops eliminated in a disastrous retreat in southern Italy. Thus, after meager reinforcements, I was left with a total of 9 troops on the board, three of which were in Hispania. Carthage looked ripe for an invasion, and that is exactly what Jon launched.

Rome sent two generals (including the dreaded Scipio Africanus) to Africa and began his assault. After arriving, his first actions were to cause a revolt in Eastern Numidia, which forced Hanno to spend his effort quelling the revolt. Jon then rushed to the undefended Carthage and began the siege. Things looked might bleak for me as I no longer had any cards which could activate my generals. Fortunately, Jon's siege die rolls weren't much better than mine when I had assaulted Rome. Turn 8 concluded with Carthage teetering under 2 siege points.

Turn 9 began with a great hand being dealt to me. I had a wealth of '3' operation cards, including both major and minor campaigns. Perhaps victory could still be within the realm of possibilities! I began by playing the major campaign, marching Hanno to Carthage and shipping Mago over from Hispania with his troops. This gave me a force of 9 to meet Scipio, who had been reduced to only five legions. With the help of Carthaginian allies, Scipio was dislodged and annihilated in a disastrous retreat. Carthage was saved and Scipio vanquished!

Rome then sent G. Nero towards Hispania to threaten its unguarded provinces. Fortunately, with the aid of yet another operations card, I was able to send Mago back to Hispania with some troops to defend it. This, however, did not leave me with much in order to launch an attack against Rome. This would be necessary since I needed to capture at least one province in order to achieve a tie in controlled provinces. According to the rules, a tie in provinces controlled at game's end would result in a Carthaginian victory.

Having little choice but to attack, Carthage sent Hasdrubal to Sicily, where I already controlled one city due to the play of an event card. Alas, Rome used a 'force march' card to speed Marcellus to the island and engage Hasdrubal in battle. The result was an elimination of the Carthaginian forces, securing the victory for Rome.

The game was exciting throughout, with many lead changes and swings in momentum. The victor was not determined until the final turn. Hannibal remains one of my favorite two-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschloesser wrote:
I had just lost Hannibal (see last week's report) and all of his troops,

I played this for the first time last night but if you lose Hannibal, doesn't that give a sudden death victory to Rome (rule 8.9)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
gschloesser wrote:
I had just lost Hannibal (see last week's report) and all of his troops,

I played this for the first time last night but if you lose Hannibal, doesn't that give a sudden death victory to Rome (rule 8.9)?

This was changed in the 2nd Edition rules. Now losing Hannibal results in the Carthaginian player needing to remove an additional 5PC on top of what the battle losses dictate, and Hannibal is not reintroduced into the game. The only instant wins now are for sacking Rome or Carthage.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.