Subject: Vassal Learning Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
I'm interested in learning both here I Stand and Vassal with ACTS.
i ws involved in a game some time ago as an observer, but due to real life, I was unable to continue. However I'd like to give it another try, either as an observer or as a player. If someone would be interested I'd love to join a game with some patient players.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris, right in these days I'm studying the rules and I'm willing to try the game out (HIS)...either observing or (slowly) playing.

Have you taken a look at this? Very helpful indeed...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/60889/here-i-stand-in-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
yeah thats a great file! I've printed it off and read it over often.
Still trying to figure out some things That are a little vague, like the electorate display, how to fight the religious war from both sides and how to string it all together.
It's going slowly but surely.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for any game of HIS: Vassal, PBEM or wargameroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give a learning game a shot as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like there is growing interest in a learning game. just need to find some patient, experienced people to take the lead. here's hoping someone will come forward.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to get someone on www.wargameroom.com
There's usually experienced guys there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest in taking this forward. As i understand it, wargameroom is realtime. Could we use vassal instead as that might suit my schedule better?

Also, if needed I could see if some of the guys that I know who love Diplomacy might like to jump in if we need a few to make up the numbers. I'll hold off for now, but it's an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I don't want real time either. I use wargameroom just to find experts willing to play (on Vassal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer 9000
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

Is there room for another new player???
If so I would like to play if not just observe.

Thanks Panzer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have two games under my belt and even though that does not make me an experienced player, I would be willing to get this started - not before Christmas, though.

We have the following players:
1. C Squires - confirmed
2. Davide - confirmed
3. Buz - confirmed
4. Panzer - confirmed
5. yours truly - confirmed (obviously)
6. Tony Clifton told me he would like to join as well - confirmed

If this works for everyone, I'd suggest we use the next week or so to study the rules some more and y'all send me a pm with a working email address.
Lastly, we need to decide if we go by Vassal only or use Vassal with ACTS. The former is the easier option but more open to cheating. I have been playing several games with Tony via Vassal only and it worked great for us but if anyone isn't comfortable with a system in which you could potentially re-create indefinite logfiles until you get the dice you need then we should most definitely use ACTS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Acts really slows the game down.

But I'll go along with whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on, sending you right now the message with a working email...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of thoughts:

1. I think after Christmas is the best start time as well.
2. Not being familiar with the Vassal vs ACTS pros and cons, I'd tentatively vote for the easier, streamlined, and faster solution, which I suppose is Vassal. Surely cheating shouldn't be a problem in a learning game, right?
3. Should we select our powers beforehand so that we can become a bit more familiar with the individual aspects of each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buzhannon wrote:
2. Not being familiar with the Vassal vs ACTS pros and cons, I'd tentatively vote for the easier, streamlined, and faster solution, which I suppose is Vassal.

As for being "streamlined" and in the interest of full disclosure, you should know a couple things about the way the module works that may influence your decision.

The way I have it set up right now, it's a little slow to get a hand of cards dealt out to all players, because there is no ability for one person to put things in player hands they can't access. That is, if you are the Ottomans, all you can view and interact with is your own hand of cards. Giving a random draw from your hand to another player (which happens frequently in diplomacy) is also pretty cumbersome as currently implemented.

Fortunately I recently figured out solutions for these issues that will enable a single person to deal out cards to all players and let each player give another player a random card from their hand (and/or discard one)--but it's all in my next version which isn't completed yet.

The one remaining card-related task the module can't do is to temporarily expose your hand to someone else (if Venetian Informant, Spanish Inquisition, or Papal Inquisition is played). You'd have to communicate this information via email or a private message of some kind.

ACTS can do all of these things without any clunkiness. It's also better for having a running journal of the whole game in one spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel, thanks for the heads-up. I will look into the module over the next few days and we can decide on this issue after Christmas.

As far as the powers go, I'd say we wait for all currently nominated players to confirm and then we can decide who plays who.

So far I have a message from Buz and I know Tony's mail address from our ongoing games. However, something worth thinking about is sharing all of the logs via Dropbox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have dropbox and would be willing to use it for this.

Also, concerning Vassal/ACTS, I use a Mac. Does ACTS work with MacOS? I know Cyberboard does not, but Vassal does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, ACTS is a web-based system which is used for card/deck-management and rolling dice. The board will be on your local system, hence provided by Vassal or Cyberboard. Since I am on a Mac myself, I strongly reject any Cyberboard-based solution. But either Vassal or Vassal+ACTS will work just fine on both Macs or PCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer 9000
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

IMO I don't think cheating should be a problem. We all want to learn the game and so why would anyone cheat?

Also to get around the problem on not dealing the cards we can have a referee player who can deal the cards. This could be player or someone wishing to observe the game. The cards are dealt face down and must be flipped so that will prevent the dealer seeing them.

So in short if we are trustworthy enough to not cheat with the Vassal system we are trustworthy enough to have somebody not look at the cards that are dealt.

I don't mind if we use ACTS I have just never used it before.

Finally what are we going to do for powers shall we roll for them??

Here is an example (If you like it I will keep my roll)

1 = Ottomans
2 = Hapsburgs
3 = England
4 = French
5 = Papacy
6 = Protestant

My power 1d6 = (1) = 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 66969. Panzer9000
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • My power
  • Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:37 am
Panzer 9000
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I would be the Ottomans

The next person would roll 1d5

With

1 = Hapsburgs
2 = English
3 = french
4 = Papacy
5 = Protestants

Then after the next roll that power is removed and the powers go down in Impulse order etc.

I like this idea and also I agree to not starting after christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer 9000
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also I will be away from the 5th of Jan to the 8th

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so we are waiting for Davide to confirm and then we could either roll for the powers or just distribute them on first-come-first-serve basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer 9000
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it's first in first serve I'll take my rolled power the Ottomans.

Edit: I'm also interested in writing this up as session report for BGG so after the game if players are interested in sending me some of their diplomatic conversations it would be great.

Also could I get everybody's e-mails so I can put them together as a group for ease of e-mailing.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, no 5d available, so I roll a d6 hoping not to get a 1...

1d6 = (3) = 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 67007. patgarret77
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 am
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.