Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Gluck
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Unless someone like you... cares a whole, awful lot... nothing is going to get better... It's not...
mbmbmbmbmb
Become a Patron! You'll also receive a patron badge and some geekgold too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Can't say that I know anything about becoming someone around here. but, I'd like to thinking I'm mostly helpful.

Just find something you enjoy and be a positive voice there. Maybe you won't be 'a name', but with a positive attitude you can hopefully 'touch' people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
Positively, absolutely, the number one, most fun thing you can do is go to BGG Con next year. Start watching BGG daily in March and jump on a ticket when they go on sale.

Till then, spend some time on the main page reading the forums and geek lists. And don't be afraid to post. The only stupid question on BGG is "why isn't Monopoly rated higher?"

If you click on the [Edit Front Page] link on the red Announcements bar, you can add and position the different modules for the main page.

I've gotten more involved with BGG the more I read and comment in the forums and geek lists. It's fun and you'll get to know people like:

Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb

Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

and many others.

Right now you may want to go to the 4th Annual BGG Supporter Drive Games, Gift Certificates, and Geekgold Giveaway. You might be able to score some geek gold for an avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobes2007 wrote:
I feel like I'm too new to do reviews

IMHO, you should try and fight this feeling. Reviews are opinions - if yours is thought out and expressed well, it will be worthwhile. Tell us what works well on your friends that you're trying to indoctrinate introduce to the hobby. Let us know which games worked poorly for you after Thanksgiving dinner when everyone was too sleepy to understand the rules. A review can't be "right" or "wrong" - as long as the reader knows where you're coming from, that will give them a better idea of whether they'll like the game or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joseph!

Here are some ideas:

Do you have games that aren't in the database, or versions of games that aren't in the database? Entering versions for games is a great way to pitch in and add to the database. If you have a camera, images for games that need them is helpful, too.

Do you have a favorite game, and you'd like to make the forum as useful as it can be? A while ago, people were "adopting" the forum for their favorite game, and asking people to make their subject lines as clear (read: useful) as possible. Rather than "Rules question", the subject might be "Can a blue ship jump over the red whale on the first turn?" If you're interested, I'll try to find some contact info for you on that.

Do you like to search eBay for deals? You can go to a game's page and add games to the eBay module.

Do you like to Google game rules on publisher pages? You can add weblinks to games.

Do you like to look at images, watch videos, or read reviews? You can geekmod (Misc > Geekmod on the toolbar)

What sounds good to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Play games. And a lot of them. Join a local gaming group (most are very willing to add new members). The more games you play - of all different types - the more it will allow you to make knowledgable decsisions about your future gaming purchases and contributions to this site.

One thing I often find in reviews is comparisons to other games. But if I haven't played them I won't get as much out of the review. I will also know what games to avoid purchasing because I already have a gmae that fills that niche.

And if you are 'poor' as you say. Visiting your local thrift store can be a way to find games at low prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
jobes2007 wrote:
So, there it is. What's something a new player can offer here? What do you guys need that I can do?

Have fun!

We always like new players in the Werewolf Forum

If Werewolf isn't your game, there are a lot of other games that you can play with others on BGG through PBEM (Play by email).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
start using Geekchat. It's under the misc. tab. It's a chatroom where we all hang out. Always need more people in geekchat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, heartfelt post. Nothing embarassing about honesty.

If you feel underexperienced vis-a-vis reviews, write Session Reports!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
jobes2007 wrote:
What's something a new player can offer here? What do you guys need that I can do?

Keep up the good job. Help the site develop. Which means:

Become a patron
and/or
Write some short, concise reviews
and/or
Write some interesting session reports
and/or
Generally participate on the games forums with well thought through posts.
and/or
Add new games if you find any not in the database. Add photos to games that have very few of them.

That's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.