Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the problem: I’m not buying any more games in 2012 until GMT’s November sale.

Here’s the solution: this doesn’t count preorders! Ha!

So, right now I have on preorder:
Ardennes '44, a classic h & c game.
Andean Abyss, an undone subject in a familiar shirt.
Navajo Wars, an uncomfortable subject, but more of the same?
Fading Glory, small footprint, low counter density.
Kawaguchi's Gamble: Edson's Ridge, area control. My one and only.

Andean Abyss and Navajo Wars I can cut because who really knows how good they will be? They could suck.

Still, I want to put one more game on pre-order. The publisher doesn’t matter to me. No OCS. No SCS.

Prefer WWII or space, but open. $40 or under pre-orders ONLY. Ideas? Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Sweeeet! Yep. Fits all the criteria and will be hard to top. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Impossible, just keep buying... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave up trying a long time ago! What I do, do now though is unload the ones I know I won't play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It Never Snows

If you have Liberty Roads already, Roundhammer 1943 cost only EUR12 as an expansion to the base game.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
I gave up trying a long time ago! What I do, do now though is unload the ones I know I won't play!

I'm of the same mind. I am getting rid of the "desirable" games in my collection that I know I'll never play. There is so much goodness on my shelves I really want to play, and more in the pipeline. I just don't have room in my life to hang onto stuff just cuz others say it is great.

Like Up Front... It has got to go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an easy solution that serves me well in terms of disciplining my buying games. It's called a wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Septic wrote:

Really, let me know the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Septic wrote:

Really, let me know the price.

$80
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I have an easy solution that serves me well in terms of disciplining my buying games. It's called a wife.

Me too.
I just couldn´t stop and asked for help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I set an arbitrary number that I will not spend over. Right now its a soft cap of $400 for the year with 2 'free' slots that are deemed gift games to myself which usually are GMT November sale items. I try to keep the gift slots at a $100 combined limit. This is my 5th year doing it and it has worked out well. It's made me think hard about which games I will and will not purchase and more importantly its pushed me to play what I own and not just have a collection of boxes. The only problem is MMP and their awful pre order system, but I manage as best I can.

The 'soft cap' works because I can go over the cap in order to get something I really want rather then something just to reach the limit. So for example this year I'm at $360 so rather then just get any $40 game I'll still get the game I want most (BKN reprint) at $70 which puts me slightly over but the budget is still intact, which is why I termed it 'soft cap'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Dias
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Me too.
I just couldn´t stop and asked for help...

When my wife doesn't step in, this one does:

crycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose, you can't blame her.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Disciplining My Buying with *LACK*dominance & *SUB*submission
yeah! ME neither! but, that's MAINLY `cause I'ma 'broke-BACH!' SOB... "mainly..." surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Very clever, Clouseau. You have discovered the secret reason of my post!

Lawrence Hung wrote:
It's a good choice, but I already disqualified new SCS. Not until I play what I have.

Quote:
If you have Liberty Roads already, Roundhammer 1943 cost only EUR12 as an expansion to the base game.laugh
Wish I did. But you bring up a good point. Expansions are not really new games, are they?

Septic wrote:
billyboy wrote:
I'm of the same mind. I am getting rid of the "desirable" games in my collection that I know I'll never play. There is so much goodness on my shelves I really want to play, and more in the pipeline. I just don't have room in my life to hang onto stuff just cuz others say it is great.
Exactly what I'm trying to do. Exactly!

Scoobysnacks wrote:
I set an arbitrary number that I will not spend over. ...The 'soft cap' works because I can go over the cap in order to get something I really want rather then something just to reach the limit.
Yeah, I like this a lot. On the one hand, I am trying to get the most for my money by waiting for sales and avoiding impulse buying. Still, a soft-cap of $200 (for me), gives me a bit of room for the occasional impulse purchase.

Now it still looks like I'm going with VCS Salerno!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Andean Abyss and Navajo Wars I can cut because who really knows how good they will be? They could suck.

Andean Abyss has the potential to be one of the best multi-player war games ever. You can watch the tutorial if you want a stronger taste of it, but frankly it seems pretty solid. Seriously, I'd preorder it but my FLGS is cheaper than preorders and I don't pay S&H. Frankly, I don't know what new game is worthy of as much anticipation as Andean Abyss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Still, I want to put one more game on pre-order. The publisher doesn’t matter to me. No OCS. No SCS.

Prefer WWII or space, but open. $40 or under pre-orders ONLY. Ideas? Suggestions?

Canadian Crucible: Brigade Fortress at Norrey: $39 on pre-order. Tactical Combat Series. One map, so it should be a manageable size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
Andean Abyss has the potential to be one of the best multi-player war games ever.... Frankly, I don't know what new game is worthy of as much anticipation as Andean Abyss.
Sounds good. I'd rather keep it than cut it. But why so glowing? I won't suffer through the Vassal demo, but I'll read your explanation. Why, AngryStarAnarchy, why does it have the potential to be one of the best mult-player [drug] war games ever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolm C wrote:
Canadian Crucible: Brigade Fortress at Norrey: $39 on pre-order. Tactical Combat Series. One map, so it should be a manageable size.
$29.99 @ NWS! Seems to be an intro into the TCS system. Thanks! Very interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
it is! Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Gorgeous map! And VCS sounds fresh. What's not to like? Thanks to all for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.