GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question oncerning some Breach & Trap effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waldemar Gliszczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
Some breach effects or trap effects force player/players to reveal the top cards from the deck. And it says destroy all archers/ wizards/ heroes/ etc.; but theres not said what to do with the rest of revealed cards. Not said whether discard them or put back to the deck ( if so in what order )

I understand that reveal means to show them to everybody, so discard would be logic option but I'm not 100% sure.

Thx in advance

Waldemar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waldons wrote:
Some breach effects or trap effects force player/players to reveal the top cards from the deck. And it says destroy all archers/ wizards/ heroes/ etc.; but theres not said what to do with the rest of revealed cards. Not said whether discard them or put back to the deck ( if so in what order )

I understand that reveal means to show them to everybody, so discard would be logic option but I'm not 100% sure.

Thx in advance

Waldemar
IIRC, this has never been answered. I play that unless it tells you to discard, I just put the cards back on top your deck. If there's enough sway within my current group to discard, I'll go with that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Waldemar,

which Breach effect of what card are you refering to, specifically? The only two Breach effects of the base game are pretty clear: they make you discard 2 cards from your hand or destroy the top 2 hero cards from each of the 4 village piles.

As far as the Trap effects (from the "Wrath of the Elements" expansion) are concerned: "Reveal" a card means "Show", so if it's from your hand, you only have to show (and most of the time destroy...) that one card (a hero or a spell, usually) and the rest of your cards remain (unseen by the other players) in your hand.

In case of "Rolling Boulder", you keep flipping cards from your deck (and discard them) onto your discard pile until you have revealed 3 hero cards. Those 3 cards get destroyed, all the other discarded cards remain in your discard pile.

EDIT (addendum): in case you ever have to reveal and NOT destroy a card from your hand, it would remain in your hand (you take the card back) and not get discarded. The rules would always explicitly direct you to discard a card if you had to.

PS: Can you give an example by naming a card/effect in question?

Ah, sorry, didn't understand the question right at first... Now that I see Ackmondual's response, I do though... So we're talking about an effect that makes you reveal multiple cards from your deck? Can you name that card/effect for me little dummy, so I could look it up? shake

In any case, I still think you should apply my logic: if an effect doesn't specifically tell you to discard the cards, then don't (just put them back into the deck in the order they were drawn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, found some monsters in the "Wrath of the Elements" expansion:

In case you're talking about the Breach effects of some of the "Elemental - Pain" monsters (Shadow Torment, Lava Torment, Blood Torment, Smoke Torment), they're all crystal clear, because the text on all of them explicitly says:

"Each player reveals AND DISCARDS the top five cards from their decks...".

So which cards are out there that only tell you to reveal x cards from your deck???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldemar Gliszczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
razorback ( doomgate legion ) and a few more monsters from abyssal- thunderspawn group for example; it does not specify what do do with rest of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoff Lag
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:

Hi,

personaly, my question is here : to reveal from deck is to reveal from the draw pile or to reveal from hand ?

I see cards where the text explicitly says "hand" whereas other cards say "deck".

But still, the verb is "reveal" which is confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldemar Gliszczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
waldons wrote:

Thx in advance

Waldemar

Ah Im a lazy one; found answer in slaqr's topic; thx a lot

I'm trying to gather any and all remaining questions on TS/Expansions and get them answered so we don't have unresolved questions floating around muddling up the game play. So far, I'm currently working on the following unanswered questions (and sorting through the forums for more)

1. Where do cards go after they are revealed if undefined? - Official Answer - All cards revealed via effects like this (such as breach effects, etc.) are discarded unless otherwise specified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
waldons wrote:
waldons wrote:

Thx in advance

Waldemar

Ah Im a lazy one; found answer in slaqr's topic; thx a lot

I'm trying to gather any and all remaining questions on TS/Expansions and get them answered so we don't have unresolved questions floating around muddling up the game play. So far, I'm currently working on the following unanswered questions (and sorting through the forums for more)

1. Where do cards go after they are revealed if undefined? - Official Answer - All cards revealed via effects like this (such as breach effects, etc.) are discarded unless otherwise specified.

As he said. This is an official answer:

All cards revealed via effects like this (such as breach effects, etc.) are discarded unless otherwise specified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:
Ok, found some monsters in the "Wrath of the Elements" expansion:

In case you're talking about the Breach effects of some of the "Elemental - Pain" monsters (Shadow Torment, Lava Torment, Blood Torment, Smoke Torment), they're all crystal clear, because the text on all of them explicitly says:

It also works in the French version.

Miraculix wrote:
So which cards are out there that only tell you to reveal x cards from your deck???
The Legion of Doom (French version) monsters which have a comparable Breach effect don't have the mention "and discards".

See Hellstorm :

And Razorback, Bloodless, Regicide :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

All cards revealed via effects like this (such as breach effects, etc.) are discarded unless otherwise specified.
And where does one find such "official answers"?
Is there a FAQ somewhere.
A lost post in a forum is not official enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Christen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
slaqr wrote:

And where does one find such "official answers"?
Is there a FAQ somewhere.
A lost post in a forum is not official enough for me.

It's official, because the answer was given by slaqr who is responsible for the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lusankya wrote:
It's official, because the answer was given by slaqr who is responsible for the rules.
Copy Sir!
Now, is that official ruling (and others) posted on AEG's site?
As it answers to a question that the simple reading of the rules cannot answer, I presume it will be included in a FAQ or errata file?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Lusankya wrote:
Copy Sir!
Now, is that official ruling (and others) posted on AEG's site?
As it answers to a question that the simple reading of the rules cannot answer, I presume it will be included in a FAQ or errata file?

That I am NOT in charge of. I will, however, discuss with the appropriate people to see if we can get this done in some way shape or form. It would take a lot of effort to go through all of the questions and find the ones that ARE answered by the rules and the ones that AREN'T and sort them out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only concern is that there should be a place where official rulings are regrouped.
I may be mistaken, but BGG is not the official forum for TS, or is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I only noticed today that there was a thread with the official answers to questions (mine was already included) : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8146414#8146414
Sorry for the fuss.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.