Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Heya Herc!

This game looks really cool and we have all been excited watching it progress over in the boardgame design forums.

What made you first want to design a game like this? Where did you start with developing both the mechanics and the theme? Where did some of the inspiration come from for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to look even better (as soon as I have some more time to work on it)

I have been making games since I was very young. Back then I thought Monopoly was the height of board gaming. I have since played many games of many different genres and formats, including table tops, pen and paper RPGs, computer games, logic puzzle games and board games. I have tried creating my own but most have fallen flat for some reason or another or simply never were completed.

Corp Inc is the first I have taken as far as actually having something halfway decent and playable. Something I don't get bored with playing over and over again. Mostly its just sticking to it and trying to keep it going.

It started with just some cut out pieces of paper with pencil scribbles and some flag minis which I borrowed from Twilight Imperium (3rd ed). I may or may not have been inspired by Galaxy Trucker for theme (its where the title comes from). I find the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy tongue in cheek humour really appealing for the game.

Then I proceeded to torment my friends and wife to play my silly game with me. Wife hates it. She says she doesn't like gaining corruption. So I renamed it to "expenses" for her version. A few games later, they gave some awesome feedback which made the game run a little smoother. I created a new version, printed it out and played it. Played some more. Made revisions. Printed out new version. Rinse and repeat.

Then I posted v0.9 of the rules here on BGG. Got loads of feedback which makes me think I should have done this much earlier. Next version I am working on is v0.95 which will have artwork, better looking cards and some minor issues with the game tweaked away.

After that is play-tested I will update it once again with final (hopefully minor) changes and release v1.0! When? It will be done when it's done devil

Hope that answered your questions at least a little, Sam. Time will tell if I actually stick to my goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.