Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend not to write reviews for games that already have a good number of well liked reviews. In this case I'm making an exception because of my review on Ostfriesisches Schafe-Schubsen. I consider the two games to be quite similar and I want to address how they compare to each other.

Get Bit!

I stumbled over this game during Essen 2011 when I was waiting for a chance to test Eaten by Zombies!.

Components
The small box contains:
6 differently colored player figurine with removable body parts
6 sets of playing cards numbered 1-7 in each of the player colors
1 shark card
1 shark figurine

When I first opened the box I had to smile as I recognized the shark figurine from my LEGO days. The player figurines are of a different brand but of good quality too. The hands tend to come loose occasionally but since they are supposed to be removable I guess that's part of the design. The cards feel quite sturdy so they should hold up to many plays.

Gameplay
Each round the players choose one of their hand cards to reveal simultaneously. Then the swimmers get rearranged depending on the played card. The higher the played number the further ahead in the row the swimmer gets. But any tied players don't move at all and thus are likely to float to the back of the row where they get bit...

All the previously played cards remain face up giving players a chance to predict what cards might be played the next round. Whenever a player gets bitten they figure looses a limb (full arm or full leg). When a figure has lost all limbs the players is eliminated from the game.

When a player only has one card left he can pick up all his previously played cards. Similarly when his figure gets bitten he does the same and also moves the swimmer to first position. This prevents players from getting stuck in last position but it doesn't give a huge advantage.

Comparison to "Ostfriesisches Schafe Schubsen"
Get Bit! feels like a distilled version of OSS. The core mechanic is very similar - trying to predict the other player's choices. But Get Bit! reduces the possible choices to a handful making collisions much more likely (something I found to happen very rarely in OSS). This way it becomes possible (but difficult) to try and target specific players, which I think is nice option. On the other hand the game feels a bit plain compared to OSS. I'm curious to see if over time a preference will emerge in my gaming group...

Conclusion
Get Bit! is a fun short filler with an interesting core mechanic. I don't have many games with such a focus on trying to predict other player's action. This aspect is distilled to it highest purity and I find that quite appealing. It's not a game I'd play over and over but it's a pleasant alternative every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait? they actually come with a LEGO Shark now? I had to buy my own! :)

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chalker
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played OS-S, but I'll definitely have to check it out now. (Especially since my girlfriend loves games about sheep.)

Thanks for the comparison review, and glad you liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.