Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't really played any hex and counter games before, so soloed this one to try it out. I found that the order that battles are resolved has a major impact on how future battle may be resolved since this may cut off retreats for units being attacked. It almost seemed like this was too important, so I wanted to Check with the good folks at bgg. Is this actually the case that the order in which battles are resolved is an extremely important part of the game or is there something else I should be aware of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, absolutely. For exactly the reason you state, advancing after combat may cut off units yet to be attacked.

NaW is also interesting in the aspect that you MUST attack adjacent units. In a lot of games attacking is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Planning attacks so that you can surround enemy units is the main offensive tactic you'll use. Avoiding this is the thing you'll want to do if defending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:
Sure, absolutely. For exactly the reason you state, advancing after combat may cut off units yet to be attacked.

NaW is also interesting in the aspect that you MUST attack adjacent units. In a lot of games attacking is optional.

Thanks,
It was one of those things that isn't quite noticeable until one actually sits down with the game and tries it out. The order o resolution was such an important part of deciding future conflicts that I was surprised I hadn't seen it written somewhere else. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure.

I just wanted to mention one thing that we don't talk about much with new hex and counter gamers, but consider the map;

Now consider the difference in how the game would play if the grain of the hexes were rotated 90 degrees.

In other words, this is a North/South game based on the starting locations of units and where the French must exit. Consider an unbroken line of defensive units going East/West. It would be a staggered line, not a straight one. In addition, the attacker could bring 3 units to bear on every other unit while only being able to bring 1 unit to bear against the rest.

If the line was instead North/South, it would be straight and the attacker could only bring a max of two units to bear on any given unit.

This is an important part of most designs, believe it or not. A designer must carefully consider the orientation of the hex grid in terms of what he's trying to accomplish.

Carl's right, this game teaches defense too. It involves not just the grain of the hexes but also strong defensive terrain, and the concept of delaying the enemy advance.

Have fun; great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep playing Mark. This is a great game to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.