Popular Tags: [View All]
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Guys and Girls this will be the ultimate challenge to all you Game designers! We had contests about having a game of four tiles only or to be printable on a single Page. Now i want to set the bar even higher: The setting goes like this:
Quote:
You and your best gamer friend are on a double-date with these two hotties you met the other day at the library. After dinner you are hitting this really fancy club everybody speaks about and the girls are heading straight for the "mirror hall". So there you are standing in the middle of the room, your preferred drink in one hand, no free table in sight and the music is so loud you can't talk by any means. What do you do? I mean most gamers don't dance something other than the hokey-pokey when they through a natural 20... The outcome of this contest will tell!

What i want:
-A game which has only one component per player: one of your hands
-it should be rated G
-no waving or crowd-disturbing whatsoever
-It should be strategic and with some depth to it
-Rock-paper-scissor is out of the question
-no markings on the fingers... you don't want to explain that to the girl later on...
-no 200 finger signs to remember, we don't want to learn sign-language, we want to play a game ...
I will set out 200GG and everything that will go in here by donations, divided 3-2-1 to the first 3 places. Contest runs until 28.02.2012 and will be ended by a poll. Please add only games that had some playtesting, although i don't ask for the strict rules BGG asks for the entry of the game into the database. Any further rules that i will make up or that will be suggested to me, that i approve will be automatically binding to every participant.
This is my first contest here on BGG so please be patient and nice to me
Kolja Geldmacher

Edits:
001.: Added "per player" to rule 1 to indicate the use of one hand per player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"You and your best gamer friend"

How about 2 hands? Yours and your friend.

The game: Handshake

Mechanics: Dexterity, memory, speed

Gameplay:

The first player starts the game with a simple handshake to his opponent. This handshake can be made in any way so long as it is a grasping of the opponents hand.

On the opponents turn, they must duplicate the handshake and then add a move. the move can constitute any type of gesture so long as it in some way involves the hands and must be repeatable by the other player. If the other player cannot repeat it after 3 attemps, they lose.

The first player must then duplicate the set of two, the original handshake and then the move, and then add in his own.

Rules:

Players can not go three turns without touching hands in some way. If they do, whoever's turn it is loses.

Players must complete the known moves as quickly as possible. If one player is faster and the other player misses a move they lose.

For the "new" move of the turn, you and your opponent have some time to learn the new move so long as it is reasonable. If the player is taking too long to come up with a move start counting. If you get to 10 before he finishes the player loses.

If a player forgets or incorrectly performs one of the moves, they lose.

This game can look cool in a group setting and provide you with long lasting recognizable and personal handshakes with friends however the moves can also be as goofy and outrageous as you want. In the event that you get your opponent to laugh while performing your move, you win (but must buy the first round of beers for being silly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, although not very strategic in appearance (to me at least)
does the crowd-disturbing thing eventually and also has the need to remember a gazillion handsigns... Ok you get extra points for the fastest possible breaking of 3 of my rules
Welcome our first contestant!!!
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
KG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Assassin's Strike
Co-Op Game

One person at the party is clearly an assassin and you and your fellow agent must stop them. If you see a telltale clue (a pocket that may hold a weapon, a poisoned drink, a hat with a bomb in it), then you must indicate this to your partner by making up a ludicrous military-style hand signal. You may, for example swirl your hand around your head in an expanding gesture to indicate an explosion.

If your partner can point out the person you are indicating within three guesses, the assassin is caught. If not, he gets away. If you miss three assassins, the target is killed.

On his second guess, your partner may use his one veto, indicating that the person is not an assassin but rather, the target. In this case, the very next assassin to "get away" instead kills that target.

You can continue playing until you run out of targets.

Happy hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve randall
United Kingdom
Loughton
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THE GAME = 31.

The game gets its name from the number you can count to on one hand using binary.

NUMBER OF PLAYERS - 2 TO 9

THE RULES - The first player starts the count and each player must move the count forward by up to 3 points. The first player to use all fingers on one hand is the loser as they have scored 31.

HOW TO SHOW THE COUNT -
Your thumb counts as 1
Your index finger is 2
The middle finger is 4
The ring finger is 8
The little (OR PINKY) finger is 16.

i.e.
I go first and show my thumb and index finger (3)
player 2 moves the count forward by 3 and raises his middle and index fingers only (to show 6)
the next player (could be be a geek friend you found in the bar or the first player)moves the count on 2 and raises just their ring finger (the count is now 8) and so forth.

A count of 14 would show all fingers apart from the little finger and thumb, 20 would be shown by the little finger and the middle finger only.

The game is playable across a room or even when the girls return (if you're very subtle)

I trust the edit has made it clear enough now.

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Flashhawk wrote:
Nice, although not very strategic in appearance (to me at least)
does the crowd-disturbing thing eventually and also has the need to remember a gazillion handsigns... Ok you get extra points for the fastest possible breaking of 3 of my rules

I disagree.

I don't think it's terribly not stategic, it doesn't necessarily bug crowds as you can stand in by the bathroom or off to the side and make hand gestures without really bothering anyone (no one is saying you have to do a handstand or yelp out loud or anything) and you don't have to "memorize" any preset hand signals, its more like the electronic game Simon where you just have to remember the last sequence. A friend of mine and I used to do this for fun (not as a game) as he figured we didn't have any type of cool handshake and it definitely doesn't bug anyone. You don't have to memorize preset hundreds of hand signals, I'd wager you'll only get to about 5 or 6 moves before someone messes up.

In my defense, your rules are very rigid and your interpretation is a tad inflexible. In reality, there are a ton of games you can play at a bar using simple things aside from just one hand, quarters or paper football for example. You should then more clearly define some of your criteria, such as what you consider strategic or what you consider to be disturbing to crowds as in my state bars are pretty laid back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashhawk wrote:
This is my first contest here on BGG so please be patient and nice to me

Could we get this page moved to what should be a more appropriate forum:

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/974620/boardgamegeek/design-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

Could we get this page moved to what should be a more appropriate forum:

Supported and on the way...
Thank you !
KG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Aaron: In Germany we play a game called "I pack my bag" which most likely is known to everyone around the world in one or two variations. So i know these kind of games. What i mean by strategic is, what sets Connect Four apart from Ludo. I initially thought of a kind of a Kalah game when i thought about the setting but stopped when i needed to bend 4 fingers in different states to indicate the number of beans... nevertheless that i could only have 3-4 beans on any finger before i went out of flexibility So since i am big fan of abstract strategic games i would like to have something like that with the restricted possibilities that my rules provide. I don't consider your idea bad or anything, in fact its quit cool and will definatly get a play someday, but it's really not what i had in mind when stepping up for the contest. Its not relay a strategic game unless you can maneuver your opponent into a situation were he can not react anymore. So if you would define additional rules for your game, like "each additional move has to use one finger more or less than the move before" and you force your 4 fingered carpenter friend into a 5-finger movement, that could be strategic but a bit sad
KG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Nobody reads this, anyway!
badge
Doea anybody read this, anyway?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a very fine game, but it'd also require the players' cheeks... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This game already exists - it is called thumbwars
-deeply strategic
-can be played 'low-key'
-only requires one hand a side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks_(hand_game)
... grr. BGG is cutting off the final ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must .. resist .. urge .. to .. post .. variant .. of .. Kekswi***en ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more serious note, I'd like to add a valid entry:

Hand-Fighters
(A fighting game for two players)

Your hand represents your fighter:
The Index as well as the Little finger are the arms of your hand-fighter, while the Middle and the Ring finger are the legs.
Use the thumb as life counter. Your hand-fighter has got 2 lives, represented by the thumb hanging down behind the hand-fighter. When he gets down to 1 live, your thumb gets rolled against the palm. When your hand-fighter gets down to 0 lives, he is down - the position of the thumb doesn't matter anymore.

You may use your Index finger (and your index finger only!) to deliver punches:
When you hit your opponent's "legs" (i.e. the Middle or the Ring finger), the opposing hand-fighter loses 1 life.
When you hit your opponent's thumb, you deliver a critical strike, taking him down immediately.

You may use your Little finger (and your Little finger only!) to block incoming attacks.

It is recommended to use a surface of any kind to play on (like e.g. a wall, a couter or whatever comes in handy). If you do, you play a match between common mortals and you lose 1 life, whenever your hand-fighter looses contact to the surface.
If you don't play on a surface, you are playing a match between superheroes that may fly around however their players see fit without losing a life.

When you take your opponent down, you have won the round.
Best 2 of 3 rouds win you a match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Can u define "rated G"?
As in Grown-ups only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite the opposite. It should mean "Rated General" like the American way of rating media. So no "Who can annoy more bullies in the club by showing a middle finger and getting away with it.."-Games
KG
@Jens: You could tweak your idea by not asking for player cheeks but bystander-cheeks, but what do you tell the girls when they return?
@Samatha:Thumbwars is a good example although its more of a dexterity game, but the strategic part did not escape me. But since its not a new game i would not consider it a valid entry unless you have a ruleset that legitimates it as such?
@Stephen: Chopstick needs two hands to work. And like Samtha above the game is not new and would need a twist to be accepted. Oh and a short wiki search showed me its solved ... sorry
@Kai: Kekswi**en is not a good idea in the middle of a club other than a KitKat-Club Hand-Fights sounds like fun although also more on the dexterity side... But every fight is strategic in a way so... we will see what the world thinks about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have no Idea about hand games(other than rock,paper,scissors and thumb wars) so if this already exists my apologies.

13 or bust.
the idea is to get your opponent to reach 13 or higher. Each round a player may submit a number signified by hold out certain number of fingers. Hold out 3 fingers (or two fingers and a thumb to all the nit pickers) and you add 3 to the stack, your opponents proceeds to add by holding out either 1,2,3,4,or 5 digits. Play continues until one player reaches 13 or higher (higher is unlikely unless they are intoxicated and lost count)

You can only submit a numerical value once per turn so no repeating a single finger more than once in a turn. In the event a player decides to submit the middle finger alone it counts as 2 (possible house rule)

Game goes for 5 turns, at the end the loser buys the winner a round (provided your at a bar still)

the initial number is subject to change with multiple players.

just a thought.

just noticed someone has 31 up above. I guess this is similar in a fashion. regardless take it for what its worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
I just stumbled across Waving Hands whilst browsing a Duelling Wizards geeklist.
Seems like it might fit the bill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Nobody reads this, anyway!
badge
Doea anybody read this, anyway?
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay then:

It is a competition who can slap an innocent bystander (party guest) the hardest.

When the girls come back, we tell them these seemingly innocent party guests were making rude remarks about them. We, the knights in shiny armour saved the damsels in distress and will be the heroes.

Strategy? Oh yes, you have to find someone who will go down with the first slap and will not be helped by friends, otherwise you're probably going down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my entry which is called

Golem
Mighty wizards battle each other for the control of an ancient Golem relic.

3 players and up

Setup
One player is selected to be the first Golem, the remaining players are arranged in a circle at equal distances one from the other, but must not be able to touch each other. The first Golem stands in the center at a random direction (he closes his eyes and rotates a few times).
The wizard that is closest to the Golem's line of sight is the starting player.

Gameplay
In each round, all wizard player secretly extends one of his fingers from his right arm, or 2 fingers - the pinky and another one, and all wizards reveal their hands at the same time to cast the selected spell.

Starting with the designated staring player and going clockwise spells are resolved according to the finger extended:

Thumb: the active Golem turns 90 degrees counterclockwise
Index: the active Golem turns 90 degrees clockwise
Middle: the active Golem takes one step forward
Ring: the active Golem takes one step backwards
Pinky alone: Golem does nothing, but the next wizard's action is reversed. No effect if it is cast by the last wizard of the round.
Pinky with another finger: the current Golem is deactivated and the next Golem, in order of creation modulo the number of golems, is activated. The order given by other finger is carried out by newly activated Golem according to the previous rules..

Once all wizards cast their spells, the round is over and the starting player role moves to the player on the left of the current staring player, and a new round begins.

At any moment, if the Golem can reach out and touch one of the wizards with both his feets on the ground, it is deactivated and the touched wizard turns into a Golem himself, and is immediately activated. A wizard converted into a Golem can no longer cast spells and might be controlled by the remaining wizards. Every Golem must remember his serial number.

Game end
When all the wizards but one are Golems, the game ends immediately and that wizard is the winner.

Hope you like my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Fingers of Lamneth

Object: Get your hand to a total of five or more.

Player 1 chooses his starting hand. A hand consists of a number of extended fingers along with the palm oriented either face up or face down. The starting hand can be face up or face down and can contain zero, one or two fingers. The number of extended fingers is his current total.

Player 2 now chooses his starting hand. He may choose either zero fingers or the same number as Player 1. He may also choose either face up or face down.

Now, each taking turns, the players adjust their hand according to the following rules:

- If your hand is face up, you must add to your hand total and turn your hand face down.
- If your hand is face down, you must subtract from your hand total and turn your hand face up.

- The amount you add or subtract can be any of the following:
- - Your current total (even zero).
- - Your opponent's current total (even zero).
- - The difference between your opponent's total and your own (even zero).

Repeating the same position 3 times is a stalemate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Mazz Fingerzz

Setup (open version):
The players sit in a circle or around a table with one hand held out clearly visible.
Gameplay:
A caller sits to one side of the game (he/she can participate, but this may be simpler if the caller sits the round out) and calls out numbers.
The caller then calls numbers, at any speed. All players add these numbers in their head, but only the last digit counts.
For example, for 21, the players use one finger (any of them). If the last digit is between 6-9, the fingers are used as if a second hand is in play (so for a 6, use one finger, for a 7, two fingers, for an 8, three fingers, and for a 9, four fingers), but players never use their other hand! Any numbers ending with 0 should result in a raised fist (no fingers). Players using their fists on their neighbors get minus points.
When the caller calls "equals", everybody displays as many fingers as they think the last digit of the overall some merits. The caller must keep track of the counts him/herself (or pre-prepare a sheet with all the numbers to be added, but we are not allowed sheets, so let's stick to hand only).
Counting:
If the caller and at least one of the participants display the same amount of fingers, the caller and everyone displaying the same amount of fingers get one point. If either nobody OR everybody displays the same amount of fingers, no points are awarded to the caller, but everyone else gets one point.

Setup (clandestine version):
All players keep their hands in their lap, and close their eyes. The game is repeated as described above, and upon calling "equals", everybody raises their hands and opens their eyes. No last-minute changes are allowed upon observing everybody else's hand.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Berman
United States
Jamison
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player simultaneously extends zero fingers (like rock) or two fingers (like scissors).

If both players throw zero fingers, they each score a point.
If one player throws two fingers, he or she scores 2 points.
If both players throw two fingers, the game scores 3 points.

First to 20 points wins. If both players reach 20 at the same time, the game continues until one player has a lead. If the game reaches 20 points or more at any point (even if both players have already surpassed 20), then both players lose.

The victory point goal may be altered before the game, if both players are in agreement (to allow for a longer or shorter game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so here's my official entry: Finger Scrabble

Each player chooses a letter to assign to each of five fingers on one hand (so, for example: thumb is S
index is E
Middle is P
Ring is N
Pinkie is A) They can choose any letters but may not change them or change which finger they are assigned to!

Then, taking turns, each player turns to look at something in their immediate environment which they can spell with the letters assigned to their fingers - they hold up the appropriate fingers and their opponent must guess what they are looking at (and then the 'looker' tells them right or wrong, but they are only right if they get the exact word.)Each player may guess twice.

- this continues, until any player feels confident enough to make a guess as to which exact letters are represented by each finger of their opponents hand - 3 incorrect guesses is a loss(players may go back to playing after a single guess) , first player to correctly identify all five letters (and which fingers they belong to) wins. To prevent any player only using certain letters continuosly (ie: not revealing a particular finger), each player on their third turn MUST make a five letter word.

The strategy comes in with remembering the words, and by choosing difficult objects to guess in the environment.

Enjoy, Finger Scrabble!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Cowboys

For two players. Each player is a cowboy and is having a duel with his opponent. At the beginning of the game you have no bullets in your gun. During the game players will simultaneously choose one of three signs to load your gun with a bullet, shoot or hide. To make it easier try the method from Rythme and Boulet: clap two times your knees and then show the symbol for the action. If the game does not end repeat. It is important that the game goes on smoothly: clap, clap, sign, clap, clap, sign, clap, clap, sign and so on

The symbols are:

- two fingers (the popular "I'm holding a gun") directed up - you put a bullet into the gun
- two fingers aiming at the opponent - you shoot
- putting your hand on your chest - you cover

You cannot shoot if you have no bullets. You can have,more than 1 bullet.
If you shoot and someone covers, you lose a bullet but nothing happens. If you shoot and your opponent loads the gun you win.
If you and your opponent shoot at the same time you both lose a bullet but nothing happens.
If you cover yourself three times in a row you lose by forfeit.

This is a fun game that we played at school many, many years ago. I Think that we invented it but frankly I wouldn't be surprised if we took the idea from someone else. I tried to google it, I asked many people during the last few years if they ever heard of it with negative results. If you know this game then please tell me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.