GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Boite a Jeux games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: agricola [+] [View All]
Jason Hathaway
United States
Waycross
Ga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying the Agricola on www.boiteajeux.net and am trying to expand my pool of regular opponents. I thought it might be a good idea if we left our user ID for that site in one place so we could organize some BGG user matches.

I'll start.

jasondhathaway

I'm up for any game size, though I'd prefer to get schooled in 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
As anyone interested likely knows, I've taken to hanging there as well. All I can say is be wary of getting involved in too many games, and "Here there be tygers."*

*Which is another way of saying that I get my head handed to me on a regular basis there, especially 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask what's attractive about playing at this site as opposed to play-agricola.com?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:
Can I ask what's attractive about playing at this site as opposed to play-agricola.com?
It isn't essential to have a full stretch of time to play the game in a single hit. On the other hand that does mean that games can take more than a month to play through, which I found problematic when I meant to do specific things on my next actions and forgot when I next had a turn available.
I also find the interface better, partly because my laptop has a small screen and I found it difficult to have four farms at the bottom of my screen (at a decent size) and the main board at the top, with cards in yet another window that I'd have to keep Alt-Tabbing to. http://www.boiteajeux.net/ has most of that as pop-up displays that disappear when focus is removed. And there is a representation of each farm at the top of the screen.
I just find the display better for me.

ETA: I don't know when I'll be playing again, but my name there is Avron, same as here (and nigh on everywhere else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I started playing on baj about a week ago. I play as Tacticus there (the same as play-agricola.com).

There are pros and cons for each site.

BaJ is nice if you never have a solid hour or more to play online games. Mostly it seems to be designed for asynchronous play. This is crazy frustrating if you want a game right now, but if you don't mind stretching the game out, it's fine. Of course, in the week I've been playing, I haven't come close to finishing a game with more than 2 players.... so BaJ seems best for small games.

The full automation of BaJ is also really nice. With asynchronous play, it would be impossible to do things manually, because you would never be able to keep track of everything in a game that started 2 weeks ago, particularly when you are playing a couple of dozen games at once.

On the other hand, play-agricola.com is much better for synchronous play, once you get used to the interface. BaJ does not even have all of the EIK cards implemented. Play-agricola.com has basically every card ever printed, Farmers of the Moor, and the ability to make and play with your own cards if that's what floats your boat. More cards = more replayability.

P-A.com isn't fully automated, but that has upsides as well. If someone makes a silly mistake, they can take it back. Full automation doesn't support some complex card effects (hence the smaller card pool at BaJ). On P-A.com, cards can be as crazy as you like.

Also, when you play at P-A.com, you can expect your opponents to play fast, and you can expect the game to be over with haste. It is not unheard of for a 4 player game to finish in about 70 minutes. I think 70 hours would be more usual on BaJ.com. It helps that there is no need to refresh anything at P-A.com. If you are trying to play synchronous agricola at BaJ, you will go insane constantly refreshing the board to see if it is your turn.

Finally, if you have a big screen, the board view at p-a.com lets you see everything, all at once. You can see what resources and cards everyone has, what resources and majors are left on the board, and your hand cards. The info is available on BaJ, but not all at once.

They are both nice, but if I have time, I'll always pick play-agricola.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm iklinck there, too. I could probably be talked into a game of Agricola (or Alhambra or Torres), if people are going to play fairly regularly, and finish their games. I prefer to have only one of each game going at a time (to keep things straight in my head ).

I'd sort of dropped BaJ as an active site, because it seems that games get abandoned a lot, but if I know I'm playing with people who will finish their games, I'd reconsider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:

Why, yes! Absolutely!* whistle

*Mike's rundown pretty much covers it. As for me, I'm very much a computer klutz in many respects, and the interface on BaJ is more to my liking. I don't mind asynchronous play, and if one is so inclined, it's not too hard to find a reasonably quick (by my way of thinking, that is) 2-player game (i.e. no more than a few days, tops, as opposed to x-number of weeks, and let's not talk about the knuckleheads who start a game and then disappear). I also like that BaJ has a goodly number of other games available, even if I haven't played any of them yet. P-A is a fine site, due to the admirable availability of cards (yum!), but it does take some getting used to, and obviously the preferred player mode is someone who's ready to sit down and play start to finish asap. I'm down with that when playing ftf, but online, when I'm likely to be doing all sorts of other things as well, I like the slowglass play of BaJ. I think the P-A community is much more interesting and informative, if that's any balm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
...I don't know when I'll be playing again, but my name there is Avron, same as here (and nigh on everywhere else).

Well, if you ever see me when you're there and care to put up a challenge, I'll be happy to make short work of myself. I tend to prefer the random draft, but whatever floats your boat, 2p, 3p, 4p, 5p.

After all, how many times do I get the opportunity to be beaten senseless from halfway around the world? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bjwells as well (on both).

BaJ takes quite a commitment to ensure you're not one of those jerks that stops play in the middle of a game, but I have been playing my first 4 player game for probably over a month, certainly seems that way.

I don't ever feel I have a block of time enough to play on play-agricola but I love the community forums there and will go there first for any rules issues or strategic advice.
I also feel like play-agricola responds well to friendly advice on interface, where BaJ has so many games that I don't know when they'll add solo campaign options or G2/WM cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Avron wrote:
...I don't know when I'll be playing again, but my name there is Avron, same as here (and nigh on everywhere else).

Well, if you ever see me when you're there and care to put up a challenge, I'll be happy to make short work of myself. I tend to prefer the random draft, but whatever floats your boat, 2p, 3p, 4p, 5p.

After all, how many times do I get the opportunity to be beaten senseless from halfway around the world? laugh
You forget, or it hasn't quite registered, I've been reading your session reports for more than a year. I happen to be fairly confident that your average score is better than mine.
When I do go back I will look out for you though, even if only for the chance to be immortalised in one of those session reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've just started on baj and am liking it a lot - I never managed to get my head around the interface at p-a. I'm on baj most days and can play quickly. My name on there is zhunter, and if someone in this thread would like to set up a game and put me in the guests box (it'll then email me a link to the game) I'll be more than happy to play a 2-er (or any other size game for that matter!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play on BaJ quite a bit (as Xanalor), never got past trying out a solo game on PA.com. The main reason being that I always worry about not being able to see a game through to completion. I've got two young kids, and even late at night there's no guarantee I won't have to suddenly disappear. Back when I was playing World of Warcraft it was with friends, so even during a raid if I had to say "baby crying" I knew they'd understand. I wouldn't want to do that to a group of strangers, hence my hesitation with starting a game on PA.com. With BaJ I never have to feel bad about walking away from the keyboard.

Games can definitely stretch out on BaJ, though you can mitigate it some by having several games going on at once (though I try not to play more than 6-7 at a time. I see people with 20-30 games going on at once, and these are invariably the players who end up taking begging cards simply because they lost track of the game).

The having to constantly refresh to simulate play synchronously on BaJ isn't ideal... though I did write a little PHP script which polls the site and e-mails a player (if I have your e-mail address) when it's his turn. I've used this to good effect in larger games where I know all the players. (Why the site doesn't have this option built in I don't really understand).

Another difference between BaJ and PA, which can either be a warning or an item of interest depending on how you look at it, is that there are no banned cards. That can be... interesting. I'm currently in a game (with MisterG as a matter of fact) where I've had to contend with a third-turn Lover (is anyone going to challenge you with a cookery?!), having my carefully-planned Round 6 Family Growth pushed back two turns thanks to the Wooden Hut Extension (at least it hit a brick -- er clay wall after two passes), and a Chamberlain whose effects have yet to kick in. I can only shudder at what might be coming next, though it's been interesting at least to try to deal with these unexpected challenges.

Anyhoo, I'm always up for a game, and check BaJ fairly frequently throughout the day (even playing turns on my iPhone when I'm out and about) so if anyone wants to hit me up for a game, by all means drop an invite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Not only are there no banned cards, the smaller set of available cards means that you are going to see a whole lot of Lover and Wet Nurse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm on both sites as cjfoster (same as here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:
Not only are there no banned cards, the smaller set of available cards means that you are going to see a whole lot of Lover and Wet Nurse.

Yep, not to mention Wooden Hut Extension, Chamberlain, and Braggart (although I've actually only seen this one once or twice so far). Strangely, Ratcatcher and Taster aren't available, nor for some odd reason are Conservator and Reed Hut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I think my natural impatience precludes me from playing a game over a month (or even a few days).

What I do like, however, is that I can play on my tablet at BJ. I may start a 4 player and see if I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an interesting frisson between being able to take your sweet time considering what move to make and the time lag between moves that leads you to forget what you were planning in the first place. Especially if you're playing too many games at one time. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
There is an interesting frisson between being able to take your sweet time considering what move to make and the time lag between moves that leads you to forget what you were planning in the first place. Especially if you're playing too many games at one time. whistle
Which can be mitigated somewhat with a text file and a short list of plans for each game. Unless you come home late, play a turn, and then remember that you had to buy an oven to prevent being short of food. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
FloatNotes has its quirks, but it works well for this sort of thing. I have it synced between my work and home computer.

I submit to you as an example (and perhaps for entertainment) my unedited notes on an in-progress game:

--------------------------------------------
| 13.1 FG w/o (Church Warden) |
| 13.2 SP + Animal Feed |
| 13.3 2sh or 1ca |
| 13.4 Occ: Braggart? |
| |
| R14: Sow 2v + 1g, take more animals, |
| remember Animal Feed, clay for Pottery? |
| |
| REMEMBER YOU HAVE HOUSE GOAT |
--------------------------------------------
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Braggart? Dude, that's just insult to injury. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
MisterG wrote:
The Braggart? Dude, that's just insult to injury. shake
It's the only time I've ever played with Braggart - just let me enjoy it! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn -
msg tools
mb
Hi,

another really interesting thing is the ranking. It's ELO-based and seems to work really good. There is a ranking for every single game and an overall ranking (i'm afraid you have to play ALL games, to get an overall ranking. As i'm playing 4 games there and not listed in the overall-ranking).
Another really nice thing are the orgnaized tournaments there. There are tournament for nearly every game on the site.
At the moment i'm participating in 2 Agricola-tournaments, 1 Alhambra-tournament and 1 Cities-tournament and there are much more of them.

But the organization of this site makes really interesting (and good in my opinion) tournament-modes possible, which wouldn't work on p-a.com.

For example i describe the mode of my 1st Agricola-tournament (still running btw).

54 participants distributed in 9 groups of 6. ELO-ranking used to make sure that the best 12 are distributed 2 per group.
Then all possible combinations of 4p-games in the groups are created, (that are 15 games in total) Everyone has to participate in 10 games out of this 15. At the end of all 15 games there is a formula for points (8,4,2,1 + % of all points scored in the game/100 so the first will get e.g. 8.33)
Then all points are added for every player and the 2 best are going to next round.
There you have 18 players divided in 3 groups of 6 with the same mode. An the last round will be in one group of six (the final).

This is playable, because all 15 games are played at the same time and won't last much longer then one single game with 4 players. Of course the whole tournament will last about 6 months, but it's really nice anyway.

There are much more players from p-a.com which didn't answer yet. You can find them easily when looking at the top of the ELO-ranking:
e.g.
1.Kastore
2.zlorfik
3.Isch
7.buyo

armyguy played there as well, but didn't log in for about 3 months now.

regards Merlin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dermerlin wrote:

54 participants distributed in 9 groups of 6. ELO-ranking used to make sure that the best 12 are distributed 2 per group.
Then all possible combinations of 5p-games in the groups are created, (that are 15 games in total) Everyone has to participate in 10 games out of this 15.

An interesting way to organise a tournament. I especially like the scoring: the idea to add together ingame victory points and points for the place taken.

However I do not understand one thing: 6 player group means that there are 6 different groups of 5 (12345, 12346, 12356, 12456, 13456, 23456) and each player is part of exactly 5 different groups. How do you get 15 games in total and 10 games per player? Wait... the possible answer could be that all the games are 4-player... Please, explain that for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn -
msg tools
mb
Oops, my fault.
It's 4p-games and that are 15 games in a group of 6 players.

I edited the fault in the original post.

regards Merlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn -
msg tools
mb
Btw buyo is participating and has an impressive first stage. He just finished his 10 games and won all 10, but one of these games only with a tie. Not too bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.