Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Victory Point Games but I'm trying to figure out how to store them.

They don't come with boxes and I'm a worrier. Anyone have any ideas out there? I saw a picture of someone who put them in binders. Any thoughts on that?

While I'm at it - I had the game maps for Dawn of the Zeds and Soviet Dawn color copied and laminated but is there a good way to protect the pieces?

I tried using Modpodge and now they are all stuck together. Has anyone ever tried clear contact paper? Am I the only one who is this insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've worried about storing is Ancient Battles Deluxe. With expansions, it got too big for the envelope it came in, so I went to a local department store and picked up a compartmented vinyl portfolio. It's held together by an elastic band, and it's just the right size for all the ABD components. The portfolio expands, so I even have room to put a small, compartmented plastic box inside; it holds all the unit-counters.

The other half dozen VP games I've bought are still in their original envelopes, tucked into a shelf underneath my desk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! I recently bought Caesar XL and have been pondering whether to leave it in the ziplock bag or find some other storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little anxious about leaving them in the ziplock myself.

BTW, color copying and laminating the boards is the way to go. I got my two boards copied and laminated for $5 at Staples. Of course they are unfoldable but at least they are protected and I still have the originals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheap shipping boxes.

I've got Astra Titanus and Soviet Dawn in a box size 11.75 x 8.75 x 4.75 inches.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dof...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use these Top Loaders 11x17 maps fit nicely. Also, you can put 2 maps in one top loader as I do.

I use these Weekly Pill Planners from CVS Pharmacy for the game counters. Shown here in use.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1138956/dawn-of-the-zeds

This is where I got the idea from for the storage of the counters. Use peel and stick labels to label the hinged side of pill boxes with the game name.

I put the rules in document protectors, then in binders. List the games in the binder on a sheet of paper inserted in the front outside pocket of the binder. I then separate the game rules using peel and stick tabs.

I store all in a tupperware/rubbermaid storage container. One big enough to allow the game maps in the top loaders to lay flat. Plus, the binders, dice, cards, etc.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to Ancient Battles Deluxe and all expansions, I have the game counters in small storage boxes. 1 for blue, 1 for red, and 1 for the terrain. I have all the maps but the Deluxe Map in top loaders. Rules and scenarios are in document protectors and a binder. I was fortunate to have an old Samsonite hard case large brief case that all this fits in except the bigger Deluxe Map, which I have in a poster frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to add the page size maps for like Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies, A Blood-Red Banner: The Alamo, Israeli Independence, Forlorn: Hope etc. I put them in document protectors in the binder with the rules. I make a note in the game descriptions inserted in the front outside pocket by the appropriate game title (Map Included) or (Maps Included) as the case may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:
I tried using Modpodge and now they are all stuck together. Has anyone ever tried clear contact paper? Am I the only one who is this insane.

Here are some paper spray protectors.

http://www.amazon.com/Preserve-It-Matte-11-Ounces/dp/B0013L5...

Scroll down to see a variety of choices. Should be found at a store like Walmart. I used these type sprays to spray minis I painted and on my homemade counters in the past. As you will see from the list of products there are different type of results like matte, clear, gloss, etc. finishes. If you decide to get a can, be sure to try on a test counter first. They have worked fine for me.

NOTE: Be sure to use outside as the over spray mist and odor can linger a bit indoors. 2nd, a little goes a long way. May do a second light coat if desired after completely dry. 3rd Lay counters on newspaper or the like to be sprayed. Follow the can's directions for spraying.

Hope all this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to use a combination of all these ideas. I like the the idea of a binder and then spraying the small bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really my only complaint. The bags all need to be an inch or two wider. As is, the corners of the maps and paper sheets get messed up when removing it from the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.