8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Something like Ankh Morpork for xmas.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Verwar
Canada
flag msg tools
So i'm looking for something very similar to Discworld, Ankh Morpork for the one game i get for christmas and I have no idea what to ask for. The two things i like most about D.A.M. is first the randomness combined to create strategy and also i love when characters are secret or have different abilities or goals. Thats what i like but as we all know a game has to appeal to a group or it just sits there collecting dust like my copy of Tobago. *shakes fist*

My group is usually 5 but sometimes 6 which is always challenging. something that plays 6 would be ideal. I don't mind when things are a little more complex but i am always the one who has to break down the rules for everyone so where as i don't mind a medium to heavy game the people i play with are more light to medium. Everyone in my group loves D.A.M when they have played it. We all also enjoy Mystery of the Abbey, Forbidden Island, Settlers of Catan, Globetrotters.
Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Resistance would be a good game for your group.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion goes to 6.

Chaos in the Old World with Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat Expansion goes up to 5.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game seems like a possible option.

Warrior Knights is long, but fun.

Also... Mage Knight Board Game comes out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Citadels? Perhaps not as random, but the secret roles each round leave one to figure out who is who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
How about Citadels? Perhaps not as random, but the secret roles each round leave one to figure out who is who.

+1

Citadels would be a great fit, going on what you have posted. I would go so far as to tack on to this advice a money back guarantee.

Satisfaction guaranteed, or the money paid for this advice will be returned at 200% interest!

Make that 300%!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Verwar
Canada
flag msg tools
citadels does look great. it's officially on the list. Any others? the resistance seems intriguing too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is a good, short game, but you should also get Cosmic Encounter. It's the only game I've played that has the same zany strategy with assymetric player powers as Discworld: Ankh Morpork.

Chaos in the Old World is a great game but it may be too heavy or long for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These games have you moving things around, while keeping secret which things you actually want to succeed. I know there are others, but can't think of names right now. Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Vineta
Heimlich & Co.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.