Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that tracks and tabulates units sold, income, expenses, etc?

Is the market too fragmented with few majors, and many smaller players to have/want this kind of data?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ICV2 does quarterly reports on much of the gaming industry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been interested in how many of each game have been sold. I'ld love to see BGG's top rated 100 games with '#'s of Copies Sold' next to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, y'all. I'll check out that link.

We were doing some data mining off of BGG the other night, looking at # copies owned, and then trying to gauge success from that. Of course, we have no idea on who owns used copies, etc.

My gut instinct is that the second tier guys (FFG, Z-man, etc,) aren't really that big of an industry. But I would like to get some numbers and see where the whole thing is.

And the real goal is to see if it is worth trying to get employed on the business side this industry. It seems that many publishers are just a handful of people, and probably don't have the use/resources to add employees the way a non-boardgame business would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randusnuder wrote:
And the real goal is to see if it is worth trying to get employed on the business side this industry. It seems that many publishers are just a handful of people, and probably don't have the use/resources to add employees the way a non-boardgame business would.

When you say "business side" of the industry, are you talking marketing? Sales? Game design? All of the major toy companies also have board game divisions and there are a lot of jobs in those areas. You'd most likely have to leave Texas though. Hasbro is in Rhode Island, Mattel is in Los Angeles. There are smaller companies, as you have found, but they might not have the staff size you're looking for. But don't let that stop you. If you really want a job in the industry and have the skills for it, only you can make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marketing. And we are not tied to TX.

It look like I will have to go with a Hasbro or Mattel sized company, even though what I really want is to go with one of the smaller (and more exciting) publishers out there. Maybe FFG would have openings.

So, Nick, do you know anyone at Mattel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG announces job openings quite frequently, wouldn't hurt for you to put in a resume I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is the only non-toy company that I thought might have a good sized staff. Are there any others that are that large?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing your specific background, I’ll just throw out some general job hunting advice, I give to my marketing students.

Lots of folks want to work for a big corporation like Hasbro, Mattel etc, but as you can imagine positions in their marketing departments are limited and when a position does open up it is highly competitive. Also if you are new to marketing, companies generally tend to promote from within, so are you prepared to start out as an intern, work as a researcher, etc to gain experience in the department.

If you’re interested in a job in marketing and targeting the toy/game industry here are some questions to ask yourself
what background do you have in this area?
Do you have any consumer package goods marketing experience?
Do you have any retail experience, particularly on the toy/games side of the house
Have you been a product manager?
What areas of marketing/sales/advertising have you worked in?
What was your undergraduate major?
Do you have a MBA or MS in Marketing?
Did you do any industry related internships while in school?
More importantly from a large company perspective, where do you go to school?

Are you currently on Linkedin? If so have you joined the toy/game industry groups there?
Have you looked into the Toy Industry Association?
Are you a member in your local AMA chapter?
Are you a part of your school’s alumni groups?

What are of marketing are you interested in? That’s a wide field
Do you want to conduct market research?
Are you interested in managing a product portfolio? (managing existing product lines or bringing new products to market)
Are you interested in advertising side? If so do you have a portfolio?
Are you interested in marketing research or competitive intelligence

There are lots of areas to consider
product mananger
program manager
brand manager
advertising sales
advertising director
market research analyst, manager, director
competitive intel analyst, manager
etc

Here's an example from Hasbro for Brand Marketing Manager for Gi Joe
http://jobs.hasbro.com/job/Pawtucket-Associate-Global-Brand-...

Education and Experience Requirements::

- Minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in consumer packaged goods marketing, preferably supporting a global brand.
- Bachelors Degree in Marketing, Advertising or related field.
- MBA preferred.
- Functional experience and/or knowledge will include:
- Expertise at implementation of a fully integrated marketing program.
- International experience and global perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this was more than I was expecting to get. I appreciate you taking your time to write that all up. I will send you a longer message via geek-mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.