GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Turfmaster or Rallyman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like a good race game as Christmas gift (that i'll do to myself .

I'm still undecided which i should choose between Turfmaster and Rallyman.
Snow Tails is my fav racing game and one of my favourite games of all time.I' ve tried Formula Dè and Ave Ceaser but i didn't quite like either of the two.
I would choose Turfmaster even at his high price because i love horse racing (Seabiscuit being one of my fav film!).
But i think rallyman system is more original and perhaps more near to snow tails...

Any suggestion would be very appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow what a difficult choice they are both great games and both have very original ideas.

I suspect if you like horse racing then Turfmaster might just be the one for you. The handicap system that means the leaders can only play cards of a certain value keeps the field bunched until you get to the final straighht when jockeys start using their 'Jokers' to gain an advantage and this really does look and feel like horse racing.

The addition of the fences (or hurdles) adds a totally new dimension to the game and all of a sudden you can now see the worth of those lower value cards to position yourself for the next obstacle.

Having said that Turfmaster is better the more players you have, with all 8 it is truly a test of tactics. Rallyman on the other hand is excellent as a solo game or any number up to 4 as you are really racing the track to set the fastest time. The mechanics of this game are pretty unique too although I have had a couple of odd situations (such as someone being passed on the track but getting a faster time than the passing car) but these are rare and the game plays quite fast.

So I would say either are great but maybe if you cannot get a large number of players then Rallyman would suit you better, otherwise go with your love of horseracing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.