GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,608 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Luftschiff» Forums » General

Subject: Why I don't play Luftschiff anymore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is in the spirit of a review, but I don't have the time to write up a full review right now.

What I like about the game: Seeing how a zeppelin works, especially the management of crew, ballast, fuel, supplies, etc. Weathering (pardon the pun) the event cards, and making it through a mission by the skin of your teeth. Or not making it because of a death by a thousand cuts.

What I don't like about the game: Pretty much everything else. The game takes far too long. I don't see the point of having to model the exact position, speed, fuel, ammo, critical hits of each enemy aircraft and having to count spaces for its movement, especially when movement is kinda hand wavey. This is the sort of thing that should be abstracted. Like instead of the grid around the zep, airspace can be represented by zones around it. Different zones will allow the use of different weapons, how the airplane behaves, etc.

A lot of solitaire games are played for their narrative. We want to build a story around the cardboard men. In Ambush/Battle Hymn, it's your squad. In Hornet Leader, it's your squadron. In B-17/B-29, it's your bomber and crew. In Patton's Best, it's your tank and crew. In Luftschiff, it should be your zeppelin and crew. Model those in detail, but everything else should be reduced to their essentials and how they will affect your ship.

I feel instead of exact reprint, a developer should have hired to see what they could streamline. Probably a bit late for whoever is reprinting the game, but those are my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't disagree more. I find Luftschiff makes excellent narratives. Feel free to name your crew if this makes it easier for you. I find each flight is a great adventure.

But thank you for your 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm somewhat sympathetic, in that I don't like the zepps and scenarios that lead to a lot of planes on the display, but I just avoid those and still love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. I find Luftschiff makes excellent narratives. Feel free to name your crew if this makes it easier for you. I find each flight is a great adventure.

I didn't say there wasn't narrative. When you're low lift and altitude then it starts frickin' snowing... But having to go through a bunch of steps to manage and bookkeep enemy aircraft and other guff not directly related to my zepp is distracting from what I actually wanted out of the game and adds to game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play 2player... so the simulation of the interceptors is fun for the allied player.

I agree that if you played solitaire, that a more abstract fighter combat would be smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.