Popular Tags: [View All]
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some confusion reading through the rulebook regarding the new great persons deck.

Many of the great persons are one-shot effects - they are played and then discarded. Does the great person token placed in the city also get discarded from the game board when this occurs?

Also, there is some strange wording about discarding down to hand size if a great person is killed, which implies there is a way to get more than one card of a particular type per great person... Maybe I am missing something but I fail to see how this is possible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
Some confusion reading through the rulebook regarding the new great persons deck.

Many of the great persons are one-shot effects - they are played and then discarded. Does the great person token placed in the city also get discarded from the game board when this occurs?

Also, there is some strange wording about discarding down to hand size if a great person is killed, which implies there is a way to get more than one card of a particular type per great person... Maybe I am missing something but I fail to see how this is possible...

The tokens remain until "killed". If I have 2 great generals (because I got at least 2 great people and they were both generals) then I can have 2 great general cards in my hand or in front of me. If you kill one of my generals then I have to give up one of my great general cards (can't have 2, because now I only have 1 token for a great general).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
Does the great person token placed in the city also get discarded from the game board when this occurs?

No. The token stays on the board after you've used the Great Person card ability.

As for your other issue: In order to use a Great Person card ability, you must have ONE of the appropriate type of Great Person token on the board. Also, when a Great Person is killed, you must discard one of the appropriate Great Person cards.

In practical terms, consider this example: You have two Great People, Akira Kurosawa and William Shakespeare. Both are Great Artists. You only need one Great Artist token on the board to use either (or both) of their card abilities. Further, if the Great Artist token is killed, you must discard one of the Great Artist cards (but not both). In order to use the ability of the remaining Great Artist, you'll need to have another Great Artist token on the board.

I hope that helps. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T
msg tools
The rules say: "If the great person card must be discarded for the ability to be used, the player discards the card faceup to the bottom of the great person deck"

And the same shall be done with the card if someone forces me to discard a card because of a killed great person.

This must mean that it's possible for the same person to appear again when the deck is exhausted and reshuffled? It feels so strange that Michelangelo would show up several times...

Have I understood this right? It feels more logical if one discards the used cards/killed cards back in the box instead back into the deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fieldmedic wrote:
The rules say: "If the great person card must be discarded for the ability to be used, the player discards the card faceup to the bottom of the great person deck"

And the same shall be done with the card if someone forces me to discard a card because of a killed great person.

This must mean that it's possible for the same person to appear again when the deck is exhausted and reshuffled? It feels so strange that Michelangelo would show up several times...

Have I understood this right? It feels more logical if one discards the used cards/killed cards back in the box instead back into the deck...

It's not possible, because there are only three great person tokens of each type, and they're not reused. So there can be no more than 18 great persons in the game, and you can't actually make it through the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can kill great persons with culture cards and, if my memory doesn't fail, modern armors (blue level kills great person that are on the square it ends movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
you can kill great persons with culture cards and, if my memory doesn't fail, modern armors (blue level kills great person that are on the square it ends movement.

Combustion allows you to destroy one building per turn after one of your army figures ends its movement in a square containing a building (walls are specifically mentioned as being destroyed before the battle begins if you attack a city.)

I believe the only way to destroy great people are through culture cards and the nuke ability of Atomic Theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercuric wrote:
rdonoso wrote:
you can kill great persons with culture cards and, if my memory doesn't fail, modern armors (blue level:star: kills great person that are on the square it ends movement.

Combustion allows you to destroy one building per turn after one of your army figures ends its movement in a square containing a building (walls are specifically mentioned as being destroyed before the battle begins if you attack a city.)

I believe the only way to destroy great people are through culture cards and the nuke ability of Atomic Theory.

And killing cities by conventional means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I think that that verbage is used because you can be below handsize already and not have to discard down.

IE, you get two great artists, one of them has a discard ability that you use. If someone then kills one of your great artists, you dont have to discard your other great artist card, since you still have one token and therefore can keep one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Spadaro
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to block great people ability by occupying a gp tile with an army? Rules are not so clear on this aspect shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jediknight83 wrote:
Is it possible to block great people ability by occupying a gp tile with an army? Rules are not so clear on this aspect shake

Yes, with army or scout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
jediknight83 wrote:

Yes, with army or scout.

But if there are several gp's of the same type, how do you know which one you're blocking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:
rdonoso wrote:
jediknight83 wrote:

Yes, with army or scout.

But if there are several gp's of the same type, how do you know which one you're blocking?

The rules do not actually indicate that great people special abilities can be blockaded, but it's a pretty obvious house rule to add. Just take this sentence from the rules:

Quote:
Note: A player cannot use a great person’s ability unless they have at least one great person marker of that great person’s type on the map.

and read it instead as:

Quote:
Note: A player cannot use a great person’s ability unless they have at least one non-blockaded great person marker of that great person’s type on the map.

Which should answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.