Popular Tags: [View All]
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Coerceo Tournament - BGG.CON 2011

Things have been pretty busy so I haven't been able to post this as early as I had hoped. Better late than never though, right?

Here is the thread that announced the tournament:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7906558#7906558

This was my first time putting together any kind of tournament so I wasn't sure what I was in for. Thankfully, everything went really well and it was cool to see so many players playing Coerceo at the same time. We ended up having 14 people sign up for the tournament and everyone showed up (which was a pleasant surprise because some weren’t sure they could make it). I was hoping for more people, but with the amount of time we had, it ended up working out perfectly.

My wife Lisa and I ended up teaching the game to several people before the tournament. Between the explaining and yelling during the Battling Tops tournament Friday night, I pretty much lost my voice. With the three prizes available (exclusive edition for first place, and standard editions for second and third) it took a few adjustments to get the brackets set up. The main bracket was straightforward, but the consolation (I felt bad calling it a "loser's" bracket) took some planning. The 30 minute/12 piece rule worked well. Some players finished complete games in less than 30 minutes when we were doing demos, but others weren't even close to the 12 pieces at the end of 30 minutes. I guess it all depends on the type of player. Limiting the games to 30 minutes was critical for fitting in all the games, but we had a few games where the time tracking didn't happen for some reason and we needed them to finish before others could begin. It all worked out, but some players completed as many as 4 games back to back. I love the game, but just thinking about that makes my brain hurt.

In the end, the tournament was won by Aaron

Aaron McDavid
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

...with Billy coming in second place.

Billy
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ♥ Alt Text
badge
I really ♥ Alt Text
mbmbmbmbmb

I was really thinking that Billy would win after watching him play throughout the day (even before the tournament). He had made his own set using Settlers Of Catan pieces so it was cool to see him win a copy, even if it wasn't the exclusive version. Aaron was really good too, which was cool because he just learned the game about an hour before the tournament started.

Chris and Jessica were set to play for 3rd place, but it was getting late and they had played so many games already (4 each), we were going to take a break. It turns out that they are boyfriend and girlfriend so they ended up sharing the 3rd place prize which worked out quite well.

Christopher Munn
United States
Fall City
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and
J Shortz
United States
Fall City
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris mentioned that he is working on a software version of the game which I thought was interesting.

Also, Kevin G. Nunn, designer of Duck, Duck, Go! and other games was in the tournament, which was cool.

Overall, everyone seemed to really enjoy the game and we had a lot of people come up and ask about it during the tournament (we were taking up 3 tables and had 6 games going on at a time). This was a really great experience for me and I'm glad to see such a great game getting some exposure. Thanks so much to Erik at Coerceo for providing the games and making this possible. Also, thanks to all the players who participated in the tournament. Everyone was so cooperative and helpful in making the tournament a success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.