GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,403 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Job Hazards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My office is a scary place...

Quote:

This only applies to employees in Building 20.

Due to the air conditioners off through the night, the fumes in Building 20 were strong this morning from the paint. However, Facilities is aware of this situation and has informed me that the fumes are non toxic and the air is up & running again and shortly the fumes will decapitate.

Thank you for your patience.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's no reason to lose your head over.

Edit: Also, I'm relieved to discover that paint fumes are non-toxic. It's organically-made, I guess?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Edit: Also, I'm relieved to discover that paint fumes are non-toxic. It's organically-made, I guess?
Toxicity is relative (we all know the joke about how poisonous oxygen dihydride is, right?). Most latex paint fumes are not very toxic. I wouldn't want to breathe high concentrations every day, but I don't think anybody ever suffered harm from smelling latex paint for a few hours. (Unless you have a latex allergy. That might cause trouble. Not sure on that one though, the latex allergies I've heard of involved skin contact and not fumes.)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There was this staple today, stapled through a stack of papers. On the back side it wasn't closed all the way, leaving a sharp part sticking out. It cut my finger. I almost had to put a band-aid on.


14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I come dangerously close to stabbing my eyes out whenever a discussion with a colleague goes longer than 20 seconds.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
My office is a scary place...

Quote:

This only applies to employees in Building 20.

Due to the air conditioners off through the night, the fumes in Building 20 were strong this morning from the paint. However, Facilities is aware of this situation and has informed me that the fumes are non toxic and the air is up & running again and shortly the fumes will decapitate.

Thank you for your patience.


Just a guess, but Facilities isn't located in Building 20, is it?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep a loaded shotgun behind my desk at my work...


... just in case.

-DK
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the only employee in my area with First Aid certification. However, my manager and HR have rejected my application to become the Health and Safety Officer for my group.

Their reason: I have had more work place accidents than all the other employees combined. whistle I explained that experience was just what was needed in this position. My manager did this shake and told me to go away.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
I keep a loaded shotgun behind my desk at my work...


... just in case.

-DK


My wired computer mouse doubles as a meteor hammer. ninja
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens before I've had my morning coffee, damn things will probably get me first.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I once did a short stint working in a laboratory for company x. Their Health & Safety chap was just nuts.

We were not allwed to sit on lab stools whilst performing experiments. This was because once someone spilt some liquid and they couldn't move quick enough to avoid the spill (it wasn't even anything dangerous). This meant that I had to constantly lean over the lab bench to use the equipment I needed (I was not allowed to move said equipment 2 inces closer, even though it was just a pH meter). This resulted in me developing lower-back strain because of their H&S policy.

Another time, the same H&S chap was regaling me with a story whereby an unknown white crystalline compound was discovered on the floor of a corridoor. In horrified tones he said to me 'What if someone had dipped their finger in it, and it turned out to be somethin really nasty like Potassium Chloride?' I had to point out to him that not only was KCl not toxic (to any significant degree), but it also constituted 66% of the composition of Lo-Salt (a low-sodium alternative to salt). I left after 4 weeks of a 3 month contract.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
I left after 4 weeks of a 3 month contract.

Wow, you made it roughly 3 weeks and 4 days longer than I would have.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Edit: Also, I'm relieved to discover that paint fumes are non-toxic. It's organically-made, I guess?
Toxicity is relative (we all know the joke about how poisonous oxygen dihydride is, right?). Most latex paint fumes are not very toxic. I wouldn't want to breathe high concentrations every day, but I don't think anybody ever suffered harm from smelling latex paint for a few hours. (Unless you have a latex allergy. That might cause trouble. Not sure on that one though, the latex allergies I've heard of involved skin contact and not fumes.)


Latex paint is actually not made from natural latex (from a rubber tree) but synthetic compounds that have properties like latex, hence the name. So while I'm very allergic to natural latex, latex paint is no problem for me. That being said, most paint has loads of volatile organic compounds (V.O.C.s). Here's what the EPA has to say about them:

The EPA wrote:
Health Effects

Eye, nose, and throat irritation; headaches, loss of coordination, nausea; damage to liver, kidney, and central nervous system. Some organics can cause cancer in animals; some are suspected or known to cause cancer in humans. Key signs or symptoms associated with exposure to VOCs include conjunctival irritation, nose and throat discomfort, headache, allergic skin reaction, dyspnea, declines in serum cholinesterase levels, nausea, emesis, epistaxis, fatigue, dizziness.

The ability of organic chemicals to cause health effects varies greatly from those that are highly toxic, to those with no known health effect. As with other pollutants, the extent and nature of the health effect will depend on many factors including level of exposure and length of time exposed. Eye and respiratory tract irritation, headaches, dizziness, visual disorders, and memory impairment are among the immediate symptoms that some people have experienced soon after exposure to some organics. At present, not much is known about what health effects occur from the levels of organics usually found in homes. Many organic compounds are known to cause cancer in animals; some are suspected of causing, or are known to cause, cancer in humans.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.