GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,309 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Food, Folks, and Fun * rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This post includes all expansions to date, but if you want to discuss with only some of the expansions or just the base game, feel free to do so, and specify what you're gunning for either way. This will probably updated when expansion(s) beyond Exodus are added.

Food isn't that big of a deal. In the whole scheme of things, it's nice how they didn't just have a game where each of the resources ended up being a "same thing, different name" syndrone. Each type is quite unique. Fuel often gets lost while performing jumps. Since Morale is primarily lost through crisis cards, it is throughout the game since the crisis mechanic is a big part of the game. Population is primarily lost through destroyed civvies and failed FTL Controls. Food is also lost through crisis cards, but it pales in comparison to Morale....

Excludes super crisis cards, but includes Pegasus and Exodus ones....
FOOD skill check MORALE skill check
12 39

FOOD event MORALE event
15 18

NC FOOD skill check NC MORALE skill check
3 13

NC FOOD event NC MORALE event
0 3

So from playing ALOT of games of BSG, I've noticed the following things about Food:

1) Food has often been the "whooping boy resource". Food skill checks are often tanked, and Food selected as the resource to lose for event crisis cards.

2) the biggest, indirect influence of Food I've seen in the base game is Low Supplies 7YG
-1 morale. If food is less than 6, -1 additional morale.
If failed, that additional -1 Morale can be harmful.
Certainly was among my best power plays to date: Food at 4, Moral at 5
IC was played, and as an unrevealed Tyrol, I played 12pts in purple to bring the total down to -6 + an Iron Will (from Exodus) to lose an additional Morale devil Baltar brought the total to 10+, but I just simply used my OPG to make all yellows count 0 strength and cancel out 18-something positive strength that went in. Bringing Morale down to 2 with just below 2 jump cycles left certainly helped out the cylons

3) One of Galactica's damage token is Food. Since losing Fuel damage token often strikes fear into team human, losing the Food damage token amusingly enough strikes fear not b/c of the actual losing of Food, but in where from then on, there's a 1/n-1 chance the Fuel token getting drawn, or any other Galactica that's overall or situationally useful.

4) None of the civvy ships carry Food. From my observations, this and #3 appear to be thematicly accurate, with this working out from a gameplay balance perspective as well.

5) When playing with Pegasus, again Food is usually the "whooping boy resource" for 2 effects... 3 - Human Weakness and (human) Breeders Canyon. Works well for that purpose. However, a cylon can use that to his advantage if Food was hit severely enough beforehand that it's no longer the highest resource. Usually, any of the others of Fuel, Morale, and Pop will be enough, and bonus if all the dials have been going down evenly and it's the a non-Food resource that's low anyways.

Human Weakness wrote:
Action: If at least 1 human player is in the "Brig" or "Detention," reduce the highest resource by 1.

6) In Exodus, it's used to fuel 6 - State Of Emergency

7) Food is the reason we lose small minority of our games (I don't have any hard stats, but IIRC, roughly 1 of 30 games, and that might even be too liberal a figure.)

8) We have lost a few 'freak games' since it was down to the wire, we survived all other odds (centurions, pop, morale), but then Food hits us anyways. E.g. either the Food damage token gets hit, killing us, or a "one-two punch" of that and a crisis card do our last units of Food in.

9) the Cylon-Sypathizer (from the base game, not to be confused with the sympathetic cylon from Pegasus ).... Haven't played this mode in a looong time, but if there's a resource to bring down to the red, this could be it. It seems uncommon that you'll lose 4 food in the pre-sleeper phase. In short, it seems to be worth it, but just keep a close watch on it is all.

10) then there are Cylon Leaders/Symp-cylon from Pegasus... 4 of them involve Food in some shape or form.....

Grant Mercy 5 humans Population, morale, or food is at 2 or lower.

Genocide 5 cylons Both food and population are at least 2 or lower

Seige Warfare 5 cylons Every resource is at half or lower (in the red).

Convert The Infidels 4 / 6 humans All resources are at 3 or lower.

When these guys have agendas to fulfill, there are going to be very obvious attempts (infiltrating for one) to either reduce Food, or to save certain resources. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to hear a CL desparate enough to attempt to get Food lower by having basestars fire and hope that the Food damage token gets drawn.

11) The Personal Goals (PG) in Exodus can knock off up to an additional 2 Food, but it's a "2-hit combo" that needs to be set up, each individually of which are hard to do, let alone the odds of both occurring. E.g. Both the Food PGs are collectively out, or Food is actualy down to 2 or less, but either have been rare.
Political Intrigue = President is in the Brig (-1 food)
Acquire Power = Get 2 or more title cards at the same time (-1 food)

12) Mutiny Cards from Daybreak
Unless Food is THAT dire in straights, then these serve as a cylon maneuver, or if a human's REALLY that desperate to stay out of the Brig

Feed The People
Action: Decrease the Jump Preparation track by 2 and gain 1 food. Then, remove this card from the game.

Necessary Risk
Action: Increase food by 1. Then choose 1 space area and place 1 basestar and 3 raiders in that area. Finally, remove this card from the game.
You CAN play this card even if all of the Cylon ships cannot be placed.

13) Motive cards (from Daybreak)
Harvest Their Resources
cylon end Food is at 2 or more

Keep Them Docile
Human end Food is 4 or less

14) Exodus contains only 1 crisis card that targets food, so if you're using that set, Food is relatively safer
President chooses
-2 Food
OR
-1 Food, -1 Population
act. raiders; +1 jump
There is no food here. There are no rations anywhere on this ship. If someone told you there was food, they were lying! -Anaastasia "Dee" Dualla

15) a Mission card with food... Needs Of The People (18YGB)
PASS: +2 food, and repair 1 damaged location.
FAIL: -1 food, and each human player draws a Treachery Card.

Food is one of the facets of the 8 Mission cards (food, fuel, morale, pop, cents, ships, distance, treachery, misc.)

Any other fun Food facts worth sharing?

* I wonder if McDonalds will care I used that slogan.

EDIT: added what is now bulletpoint #3 and #4. Added more to #10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey brumley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
# of Q-cards that raise a resources
Food : 4 (2 that are you roll for)
Morale : 6 (4 that you roll for)

# of Q-cards that lower a resources
Food : 0
Morale : 2

Unique destinations that increase a resource
Food : 2
Morale : 0

Unique destinations that decrease a resource
Food : 0
Morale : 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread codifies what I've felt the Food resource really does: it's the wildcard. As you said, it's the dumping ground... thematically, "we could always suck it up and go hungry".

Fuel is the most consistent and everyone should be watching it like hawks, while morale is a close second due to all the crisis cards that could affect it. Population is the long-term irreparable battle damage...

But food? You could always ignore food, especially with all the food shortage cards lying around, a selfish president will tend towards tanking food and keeping cards in hand. And hey, "how often do we really lose to food" says the metagamers.

And that's when the Cylons win. devil

The game needs a resource like that. One that is subject to a lot more metagaming (and possibly groupthink). It would be horrible for all the resources to be one-dimension like fuel / population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd be worth investigating to which extent the regular Pegasus and Exodus crisis cards have diluted the frequency of food loss crises.

In the base game, Food is very much under the control of the President, due to all the Food/Water shortage cards. That seems to have been lost in the expansions.

I like how it works in the base game - the President can easily control the amount of food loss. But due to Food Shortages having a guaranteed Food loss on them, it becomes risky to chose the loss on the Water Shortage cards too often.

Not much more to be said. Morale is clearly the providence of crisis cards. Fuel is managed by the Admiral. Population, to an extent, by the pilots and combat in general.

With Pegasus and Exodus, there are now skill cards to regain both morale (Major Victory) and fuel (Scouting For Fuel). Food, on the other hand, can now be reduced by a skill card, but that one is rarely played more than once, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
With Pegasus and Exodus, there are now skill cards to regain both morale (Major Victory) and fuel (Scouting For Fuel). Food, on the other hand, can now be reduced by a skill card, but that one is rarely played more than once, if at all.

From my experiences, State Of Emergency still sees more use than Major Victory. Sure, there are 2 cards vs. 1 card out of 30, but MV is a 2-step process that's proven to be not as practical to pull. For the basestars portion, pretty much left to the admiral with nukes. Otherwise, Pegasus CIC may take more than 1 action. And even then, the MV roll for +1 Morale is 50/50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last game of BSG was lost on food. Therefore I did some research on the matter. What I found out is that the difference between food and the other resources is that food will get lost slowly but inevitably during the game because of (but not limited to) the existence of 5 food shortage crisis cards in the base game deck. The loss of the other resources can be kept under control by passing checks (morale), scouting destinations (fuel) and protecting civilians (population). Additionally food is hard to regain because there are only two destination and quorum cards that potentially provide food in the base game.

The consequence is that the longer the game lasts and the more crisis cards come up, the more food will inevitably get lost. So the best way to avoid food problems is to keep the game short. I think by preferring high distance jumps most groups do exactly that and consequently encounter little food shortages but instead frequently run into fuel problems. Fuel and food seem to be linked in a way so that when one of them runs low the other one tends to be high.

For a cylon this means in order to win via food it is necessary to prolong the game and to remain hidden as long as possible (note that only one super crisis in the base game targets food).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
umbaci wrote:
My last game of BSG was lost on food. Therefore I did some research on the matter. What I found out is that the difference between food and the other resources is that food will get lost slowly but inevitably during the game because of (but not limited to) the existence of 5 food shortage crisis cards in the base game deck. The loss of the other resources can be kept under control by passing checks (morale), scouting destinations (fuel) and protecting civilians (population). Additionally food is hard to regain because there are only two destination and quorum cards that potentially provide food in the base game.

Food loss can be kept under control too. Most of the food loss crises involve a choice: either lose food or some cards (this also applies to skill checks) or a choice of losing one resource or the other. The nastiest ones are the '-2 food/-1 food and -5 cards' crises and 'Riots' as they force a resource loss.

umbaci wrote:
For a cylon this means in order to win via food it is necessary to prolong the game and to remain hidden as long as possible (note that only one super crisis in the base game targets food).

But when revealed you don't give the humans jump prep and you can use Caprica to look for food crises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:
umbaci wrote:

But when revealed you don't give the humans jump prep and you can use Caprica to look for food crises.

Unless you're playing with either expansion - Pegasus modifies Caprica in the Cylon Overlay; Exodus reinstates Cylon-turn Jump Prep in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:

The problem is that a revealed cylon has little impact on skill checks targetting food and cannot make decisions concerning food. But you are right at least in the base game he is giving no jump preps to the humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umbaci wrote:
paulclarke339 wrote:

The problem is that a revealed cylon has little impact on skill checks targetting food and cannot make decisions concerning food. But you are right at least in the base game he is giving no jump preps to the humans.
Even then, first off you'd need a title, unless it was a skill check. And either way, you're probably outing yourself when you choose food to lose or spike a food skill check. Granted, that's what good cylons do.... they pick the resource that's lowest, but due to Food coming up not so often, it can seem "iffy" to out yourself on Food when any of the other resources (especially Morale) would've been better. Then again, if it's only Food, then truly, desparate times call for desparate measures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some playgroups prefer to lose food rather than cards when the President gets given the choice - generally, I'd rather lose the cards, but I can see the point of being willing to tank food and keep more cards on hand to defend other loss conditions.

With fewer players, the card loss is often less painful since you're more likely to end up having to discard for hand limits at some point (this is brought home particularly clearly if you try playing the solo variant, where two consecutive turns of non-skill-card-costing crises will take your hand from empty to full).

Another way of looking at it is that if your losses are almost never to food, then you're probably giving too much weight to protecting food at the expense of other loss conditions - next time you're faced with a choice between protecting food and defending other loss conditions, you should consider choosing the other way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umbaci wrote:
paulclarke339 wrote:

Hmm, I'm thinking that if you're trying to win only by Food, I wouldn't put too much faith in Caprica (base game, let alone exp with jump icons counting). However, if either Food or Morale loss is the goal, those are odds I'd reconsider, with bonus goals like drawing crisis cards that Brig title-d characters, or bury cards with jump icons (if playing with exp).

umbaci wrote:

The consequence is that the longer the game lasts and the more crisis cards come up, the more food will inevitably get lost. So the best way to avoid food problems is to keep the game short. I think by preferring high distance jumps most groups do exactly that and consequently encounter little food shortages but instead frequently run into fuel problems. Fuel and food seem to be linked in a way so that when one of them runs low the other one tends to be high.

This sounds spot-on with #8, how we lost to Food, among all other ways, instead of the 2 centurions, and Morale, Fuel, and Pop all dangling at 2 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.