Subject: Don't Level Until You're Ready! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lazarus Darkeyes
United States
Playa del Rey
California
flag msg tools
This may be nothing more than my own experience, but my opinion is that you should NOT level as fast as you can. Sure, a level is something that can never be taken from you...

But if you the tougher Monsters of the higher level will always trounce you because you do not have the necessary gear to take them, what fun is that? "2 Trolls show up?! We're still fighting the 6 Minotaurs!"

I'd say that if your party feels that at full strength, with their current gear, they can confidently handle 2 of the toughest Monster rolls for their current level, than go ahead and level.

But if not, gather more treasure and get more stuff. Armor, weapons, firebombs, potions, etc. There is almost something else you can buy in town to make it harder to die. If nothing else, just going through more dungeons should gain you extra treasure. I mean, realize that while going up levels gets you tougher Monsters and more gold, the Objective Room Treasure doesn't care what level you are; it will give you as good of stuff at level 1 as it will at level 10.

Gearing up before leveling up will probably increase your Warrior's lifespan many times over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly agree with your reasoning, though at the same time, gold invested in levelling up is completely protected from loss. This creates a motivation from the other direction to consider levelling sooner rather than later. It's along fine line between hastiness and preparedness where the ideal path to character advancement (and survival) lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how quickly the game strips you of wealth through encounters I'd be more inclined to level up as fast as is humanly(/elfly/dwarfly) possible. The extra powers, health, fate, bonuses to hit, etc easily outweigh possibly getting a few more bits of kit at the expense of being murdered by monsters slightly lower in level than the ones that were going to murder you anyway. My tuppence anyway. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Warrior
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly agree that it is generally better to gain useful equipment -- at least at level 1 -- before spending that hard-earned gold on gaining the next level. At level 1, you are not as likely to face monsters (like Trolls with their Vomit!) that can destroy your stuff.

I think, however, that this is more true of some Warriors than others. I think the Elf is a special example of one who has very useful equipment (from the Elf Quarter) which would I think increase his ability to survive better than gaining the next level. Again, I am thinking of a level-one Elf.

At higher levels, probably I would lean more towards the reasoning of the previous two replies. Definitely at very high levels where the cost of training is much higher, I would grab the next level ASAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.