GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,889 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
96 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Cosmic Alliance! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion 3 is here!

White player and rules for team play.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2881
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooohhhhh baby. I love the sound of the team play.

What is card#3, in the 4 cards at the bottom of the page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Miranda
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to post it... looks great. Instabuy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
hooooray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DAMN YOU, FFG! STAY OUT OF MY WALLET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
Ooohhhhh baby. I love the sound of the team play.

What is card#3, in the 4 cards at the bottom of the page?
Gorgon, Schizoid, Cyborg, and Animal... cool

new card... I think it's how Schizoid chooses the victory conditions. The picture looks like a critter with a long tail, clawed feet, and a stupid number of faces. It's also the BACK of the card. So yeah. Schizoid Deck! I wonder what's in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgon!

Schizoid!

Team Cosmic!

Aliens based on Muppets!

Everybody wins!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I WANT TO GO TO THERE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very happy to see Schizoid in the game, and I always thought Gorgon was a good alien. Animal sounds like one of the ideas that has been popping up here over the last month or two, so it fits in pretty well, I'd say.

I wonder if that is Cyborg on the cover. It's hard to make out much of anything from that box.

And, it looks like we're getting more cards to increase the size of the cosmic deck. With 55 cards, minus 20 flares (assuming there's no "classic" flare added), minus white destiny, and minus these (let's call them Schizoid win condition) cards, it appears the cosmic deck is only growing by about 25 or so cards. Or maybe "only" doesn't even apply.

I can't wait to see what is in it. At least one new artifact I hope.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Browne
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting to note the new icon in the corner of the Morph card. Used to designate the new cards added to the cosmic deck... or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
numerounoarnold wrote:
Interesting to note the new icon in the corner of the Morph card. Used to designate the new cards added to the cosmic deck... or something else?
*Analyzes teh symbol*

The symbol is composed of three of the alien faces off the old box. so it's probably NOt related to a specific alien. Might have something to do with team play. IE shuffle these into the deck if playing with teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
I think it's how Schizoid chooses the victory conditions. The picture looks like a critter with a long tail, clawed feet, and a stupid number of faces. It's also the BACK of the card. So yeah. Schizoid Deck!

Good analysis ... I think you've called it, Mark.

Bustoffson wrote:
I always thought Gorgon was a good alien.

Yes indeed, very happy to see Gorgon make his appearance!

Bustoffson wrote:
I wonder if that is Cyborg on the cover.

My immediate reaction as well.

numerounoarnold wrote:

I think your first guess is right. The reward cards also have their own icon unique to that expansion set. BUT ... for all we know, these could be new reward-back cards.

Man, am I relieved to see this announcement. Based on other comments elsewhere, I was starting to wonder if this expansion set had been reconsidered.

EDIT:

marhawkman wrote:
The symbol is composed of three of the alien faces off the old box. so it's probably NOt related to a specific alien. Might have something to do with team play. IE shuffle these into the deck if playing with teams.

Or, it's a new "lots of players" icon. Shuffle these cards in if playing with more than x players, whatever the format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
numerounoarnold wrote:
*Analyzes teh symbol*

I expect that's the case. I've played a couple of 8p games without adding to the Cosmic deck, without problems. Interesting that they're adding more now, but in a game with 16 Flares, you probably do need more cards. Looking at my notes, I once calculated that adding 12 cards to the deck would nearly even things out for an 8-player game. I'll have to revisit that, now that I know they're adding another Morph. If they're trying to keep the distribution of cards the same, then a second Morph tells me they're likely adding more than 12 cards to the deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
marhawkman wrote:

Or, it's a new "lots of players" icon. Shuffle these cards in if playing with more than x players, whatever the format.

That's my guess, since you may not want a larger Cosmic deck with a normal number of players. I think Jack did/hosted an analysis on The Warp about how to modularize your deck to accommodate more/new cards, and it pivoted on the number of Artifacts you had, then everything else got more cards with each new Artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, Schizoid and Gorgon are great additions, I wonder what other powers are getting in? Those team rules are a nice, simple addition, and very much in the spirit of Cosmic Encounter. Animal looks like a pretty good, simple power. That wild flare is hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm....CA has 38 "Horde tokens."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Please speculate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni L
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fozan wrote:
Came here to post it... looks great. Instabuy for me.

Ditto.

I LOL'ed on "Throws a hearty party" The awesomeness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni L
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Please speculate!

A new alien power which brings hordes of lesser ships into encounter? They count as ships, but can't form colony by themselves (I think this was the way old Symbiote worked, but I might be wrong...)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to play each expansion by itself (with the base game)? Or are the expansions cumulative? The Alliance mechanism excites me more than either of the previous two expansions has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
Is it possible to play each expansion by itself (with the base game)? Or are the expansions cumulative? The Alliance mechanism excites me more than either of the previous two expansions has.

All expansions so far stand on their own. Of course, for Team Cosmic you'll be missing something if you can only do 6 players... whistle

I'm already plotting a 10-player Team Cosmic event for next Celesticon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bronfen
Argentina
Bahia Blanca
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so far away for that Team Cosmic event.....

This "teams" thing is new? Any idea how this works? Sounds very interesting...

ED: Oh... I just read it in the FFG page... I like it very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do the white ships glow in the dark???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gunawan
Indonesia
Surabaya
East Java
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh happy dayyy oh happy dayyyy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lozionica wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Please speculate!
A new alien power which brings hordes of lesser ships into encounter? They count as ships, but can't form colony by themselves (I think this was the way old Symbiote worked, but I might be wrong...)?
My guess? rethemed Wabbit. From the warp:
WABBIT [O:rec.c] GAINS MANY TOKENS Gerald Katz
You have the power to breed. At the start of each of your turns, for every 2 tokens you have on all your bases, rounded down, you may place one token there from those not in the game. This is immune to effects such as Terrorist's bombs. When there are no more tokens, use Lucre counters. The added tokens/counters are now considered your tokens for the rest of the game.

History: They re cute. They re fuzzy. They re disgustingly affectionate. They breed profusely. They just keep going and going and going. Soon there will be no room for anyone else in the universe, not that they ll ever notice. That is why many an alien will sing, Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit!

Notes: The recommended experience level for this power is Expert. This is a Resource type power.

Wild1: Take a moon from the unused moons, put it on your hex, and put some of your tokens on it. It is not a moon. It is forever more a 6th planet in your home system.

Super1: You may breed your tokens in the Warp.

Pro: When you breed, you do so on a one-for-one basis.

Con: When Wabbit breeds, he only gets one new token per base, even if he only has one token on a base.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Wabbit!
Yo ho ho ho! Yo ho ho ho! Da Wabbit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.