Subject: Best way to introduce new people? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Saul
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
So I was wondering what idea you guys had on how best to start playing this game with people who have never played Risk before. Should we play a "vanilla" test game without the faction bonuses, extra resources, etc, so that everyone can get a feel for the game? I feel like if we jump right in, people won't have any idea what the impact of their decisions really is. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
poeple who don't know how to play risk? yeah, that'd be good. Just to familiarize them with how combat/troop movement works. I'd toss in the HQ too so that the get a grasp on how to strategize to defend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game really designed for people who had played Risk.

In your case I'd play a few Game Zeroes - no scars or powers, no winners making changes, just so people get up to speed.

The only downside is that all territories would be worth the same - one coin. A slightly awkward patch to that is saying the first two territories in each continent (alphabetically) are worth two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only one game into the cycle so far, and I imagine it will get somewhat more complex with more rules additions as it progresses, but I wouldn't consider this a complex game by any means. It's pretty straightforward, with about 3-4 main concepts. If you're talking about hobby gamers who have never played Risk before, they should be able to learn it, no problem. If you're talking about people who aren't really hobby gamers, then I'm not sure they're the right target to play this, anyway. But even so, I think it's easy enough for most people to grasp.

It's usually best (for any game) to start by explaining the victory conditions (4 pts., 2 of which you start with) and how to get additional points (capture HQ, trade in resource cards, have the most territories when the basic resource deck is depleted). Then explain the turn phases and how combat works, and really, that's most of it right there. The additional details about the scars and resource cards and such are easy to add on to that. The board charts are very helpful as far as figuring out how many troops to get each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Saul
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
I am talking about people who don't play that many board games and have never played risk before. I got a group of buddies and we play Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride a lot but that's about it.

That's why I was thinking a run through with the HQ's and so forth, but nothing else. That seems to be the general consensus, unless anyone has a better idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris LeMasters
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kasol wrote:
That's why I was thinking a run through with the HQ's and so forth, but nothing else. That seems to be the general consensus, unless anyone has a better idea!

That's my plan for introducing the game to the family. The teens have played the games that you mentioned, but no Risk (shame on me!) Since they like the idea of the stickers, etc. - I didn't want Game #1 have the changes applied at random (as a potential solution proposed by the rule book). So we will play a Game #0. I'll post the experience after the first two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.