13 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » General

Subject: Dark charm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mister mystery
msg tools
mbmb
I've a question conserning dark charm: Is the base card from JitD a event or trap card, in german version it says event. All internet infos on the english say trap.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterMystery wrote:
I've a question conserning dark charm: Is the base card from JitD a event or trap card, in german version it says event. All internet infos on the english say trap.

thanks

There are two versions of this card, one is a normal OL card included in JitD, while the other is a Treachery card included in Altar of Despair. Not quite sure why it matters, but they both say they are Traps, and must be played at the start of your (OL's) turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
It is a trap, and is relevant for master kobolds, certain cards such as the overlord card Trapmaster and a player ability that allows you to roll more dice for traps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sims
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Curious, Can an OL play Aim on the attack he declares via a Dark Charm?

Does this work - since the wording is "The Hero must make an attack that you declare". The Hero is rolling the dice. And Aim lets you reroll dice that you choose. So if the OL declares the attack, but the Hero makes and rolls the attack, how does an Aim interact?

And it was probly answered before, but does this attack obey the +1 of a nearby Beastman w Command, or the +1 of a nearby Ally with Blessing, or neither?

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
poobaloo wrote:
Curious, Can an OL play Aim on the attack he declares via a Dark Charm?

Does this work - since the wording is "The Hero must make an attack that you declare". The Hero is rolling the dice. And Aim lets you reroll dice that you choose. So if the OL declares the attack, but the Hero makes and rolls the attack, how does an Aim interact?

And it was probly answered before, but does this attack obey the +1 of a nearby Beastman w Command, or the +1 of a nearby Ally with Blessing, or neither?

Thanks!!

Regarding Aim, yes. Aim is an event card that's triggering condition is the declaration of an attack by the overlord. Dark Charm attacks qualify, and I don't like to use a Dark Charm myself without an Aim if I can help it.

Regarding the second question, IIRC the ruling is that the affected hero is friendly to the overlord during the attack, and considered an enemy to the other hero figures. So yes, he should receive bonuses from the beastman, but not from the other heroes. (I may be wrong in this regard though)

---Addendum---

From the FAQ

Bold emphasis mine

Quote:
Q: When the overlord is controlling a hero through “Dark
Charm,” who decides how to spend the surges and power
dice? Can the overlord move the character and attack, or
just make a single attack without moving?
A: The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including
the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The overlord may
also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However,
the overlord player cannot move the character, or force
the hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. The hero no
longer benefits from any heroes with Command, but does
receive a bonus from any of the Overlord's figures with
command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister mystery
msg tools
mbmb
thank you, why is it event in german ol deck. it does matter now on playing demon prince and if you play spider queen on into my palour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
And it matters to know with which treachery you can get it.

Actually, this is the priority card to be used with Into my Parlour, a you can wait until a hero is weakened and until you have an Aim card in hand.

Notice that the hero is considered on the OL's side for that attack, not for that round, thuereby limiting cards which may be used on him to cards that affect one attack (not cards that add attacks) : Aim, Dark Power, Critical Strike. Notice also that feats which mention "an opponent's attack" may be used to avoid or lessen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Herm
msg tools
Im a new OL, so here a question for later on when the heroes are stacked up with 4-5 skill cards.

With dark charm i cant force the hero to spend fatigue. But what else i can use? All of the skill cards a hero have? And what are the best "skills" that help a dark charm to be really effective?

How to kill silouhette with dodge order later on? Even with dark charm it looks impossible. Elven Cloak, Ghost Armor and about 11-13 fatigue its a perfect tank and can switch "dodge" to "rest" after the OL turn. This is instant 13 "life" back for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the FAQ rulings, it is up to the hero to leave any Skill Cards active for the Dark Charm attack, which means quite obviously they will "turn them off" so we don't get the benefit. However, the exception is that any abilities granted by the Hero Card itself (such as Landrec's extra surges or Lord Hawthorne's Reach ability) may not be turned off by the hero, so that will count for the attack. We also may play the Aim Overlord card to make sure the dice count well, and I'd recommend trying to always use that to at least try to prevent a miss.

And if the hero has a Dodge on, or has a high end cloak, just don't hit them. You can kill someone else, including having them hit themselves. There should always be an easiest target to wound or kill on the table after all. But, don't forget an Aimed Dark Charm will cancel out a Dodge order, but I'd still hit someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i thought character abilities can be turned off too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vonpaul wrote:
i thought character abilities can be turned off too?
nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterMystery wrote:
thank you, why is it event in german ol deck. it does matter now on playing demon prince and if you play spider queen on into my palour.

late to the party: cause it is wrong and heidelberger translated the card wrongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
And in French it is a Power card, which has other implications. But we HRed it back to Trap.

So, it is indeed Intomyparlorable, Disarmable, affected by Cautious, and less costly under Trapmaster and to the SQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.