Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Warhammer Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gonna Lose It? Give it away first! (Imperial Noble and Trollslayer) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's turn your questions over to some Warhammer Quest adventurers:

Trollslayer: "Give gold away? Are ye mad? That's for fer me after-dungeon beer!"

Imperial Noble: "You think I would stoop to buying that common rubbish sold in other stores?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Trollslayer the rules say he looses it before he even gets to town. There isnt even a chance to pass it off to the others as he literally never gets that gold that would have gone over his or her limit. It evaporates on generation.

If you want to "game" the system though Im sure theres endless excuses to bypass that. Though with the Trollslayer Id firmly say "No" to trying to palm off gold to the group to dodge the rules.
The Noble is a slightly diffrent matter and if facing the loss of say healing potions, magical gear, bandages, food even. Id say its reasonable for him to hand that to one of the group while he strolls into town. Though lacking the book on the Noble, cant say for certain till get a chance to read how they are precented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusDarkeyes wrote:
The Trollslayer has a maximum amount of gold he can hold and he loses any he gains beyond that.

The Imperial Noble loses EVERYTHING HE HAS PURCHASED ANYWHERE ELSE when he walks into L&S (and he has to try to visit it when he goes to town/city).

Does anything stop the Trollslayer from just giving his gold away as soon as a fight ends to a party member he trusts who will return it to him upon request?

Does anything stop the Imperial Noble from giving all his purchased items to a party member before he walks into L&S?

*Extra* clarification question:
-Does the Imperial Noble have to throw out stuff he possesses which a party member bought and gave to him?

It specifically says in the Imperial Noble's Rulebooklet (page 6, Luigi & Salvatore ):

Before the Imperial Noble enters L&S he must get rid of any gear that he has purchased from anywhere else. He may not give it or sell it to the other Warriors.

For the Trollslayer, it says in his Rulebook (Page 3, Trollslayers and Gold):

Once a Trollslayer is carrying his maximum amount of gold, any extra gold that he gains he automatically manages to lose on his travels.

Maybe that gold the Warriors rolled for as Treasure was actually the Trollslayer's...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusDarkeyes wrote:
I think this is perfectly within the rules as written...but the spirit of the character may mandate that he has an additional penalty
"A Trollslayer can never give any gold to any other Warrior."
This would fix the loophole...

I'm aware that people play games for different reasons, and if you want to game the game, that's cool by me. But I would point out that the Trollslayer's apparent limitation is actually something of an advantage in the first place.

As the Trollslayer keeps a separate log of gold-equivalence of kills separate from his actual gold total, the TS's levelling is less subject to wild fluctuations caused by losing gold for whatever reason.

Gaming the Trollslayer's actual gold supply in addition to this bonus just seems like a bit of overkill to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusDarkeyes wrote:

This makes me think the optimum town strategy for the IN should be:
-follow the party to a settlement
-if it is a village, go in w/ them (since there will not be a L&S there)
-if it is a town/city...
---give all his gold to his buddies and ask them to buy stuff for him (bandages, gunpowder, etc.)
---sit outside town so he is not obligated to go to L&S and lose all the stuff he has bought

The only exception to the above is when he plans on going into town to level up, then he will lose all his purchased stuff as well, but that will be an added cost to him leveling up...

I think that they're trying REALLY HARD to get the player to play the Warrior like a true Imperial Noble: buy everything from L&S because it's the finest stuff available. If he can't afford it, he goes without. Only if L&S is not available would an Imperial Noble settle for whatever he can get his hands on instead. And he can't wait to rid himself of the low quality items. And no, he wouldn't give his gold to other Warriors to buy stuff for him (how would he retain his superiority over them??? and it would be the ultimate embarrassment for them to know he couldn't afford anything at L&S).

So a player who chooses to sit outside of a town or city and give his gold to the other Warriors to purchase things for him because he doesn't want to HAVE to go to L&S is not only sad - it's pathetic. Any player should just choose another Warrior instead. As a GM, i would demand it. ObviOusly, the Imperial Noble is not for him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusDarkeyes wrote:
Guess at least one difference is my group has no interest in playing the RP aspects of the game; we stop off at using all of the Advanced Rules only.

Is it sad? Is it boring? I could see that...
But it is incredibly frustrating to know your gold is incredibly terribly spent on anything but leveling because you are essentially throwing it away 1 dungeon later.

The Elf can save up his money for nice armor and shield et al. If the IN saves up for a blunderbuss or something else nice, he has to rebuy it every time. That is sort of un-fun. By the time he levels to the point where monsters give enough gold where this is feasible, the items you can buy are no longer all that useful...

(BTW: I wasn't just referring to the RP rules. As another player watching someone play the Noble this way, i'd have just as much issue with it.)

The Imperial Noble doesn't have to re-buy anything from L&S. Now if that isn't a hint and a half...

Whoever in your group isn't happy with the Imperial Noble having to re-buy items should just play the Elf instead or start shopping at L&S (like he should be).

In fact, why not just house-rule the Imperial Noble with whatever rules you want and just get on with it? No one is against house-rules. Most of us use them. But if you're looking for anyone here in this forum to say, "Oh, wow - you're right! It technically DOESN'T say that in the rules! You're playing the Imperial Noble by following ALL the rules and avoiding all of his penalties at the same time!" i don't think you're going to get much fanfare. As others already mentioned, you could probably circumvent the intended rules in many, many ways. Trying to pretend that you're sticking to the "rules" while playing the way you are is a farce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazarus Darkeyes
United States
Playa del Rey
California
flag msg tools
"Before the Imperial Noble enters L&S he must get rid of any gear that he has purchased from anywhere else."

There are 2 ways to read that:
1) He has to get rid of anything he has which he purchased at any point in the Warrior's history, including other L&S stores from previous settlements.
2) He has to get rid of anything he has which he purchased at any point in the Warrior's history which wasn't from a L&S store in any settlement.

#2 seems to be the consensus on this thread.

Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazarusDarkeyes wrote:
My group prefers to use the least amount of house-rules we have to; our cup of tea is to try to play the game as close as we can tell to the intent of the creators (expansions et al included). Maybe that isn't for everyone...

Pro-tip. If you are trying to hove as closely to the rules as possible, then attempting to follow the spirit of the rules rather than hunt for loopholes to exploit is how most designers intend their games to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.