Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cordell Stetson
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a new member to this website, and I've noticed this missing from the database--I'm a bit uncomfortable adding it myself, because I'm new... and it's PAUL AUSTER. Regardless:

In Appendix 2 of his 1997 memoir "Hand to Mouth: A Chronicle of Early Failure" Auster describes the rules and supplies the cards to Action Baseball, a game he designed in 1978, but I don't think was ever published (until, I suppose Hand to Mouth.)

I'll quote (at length) his description from Hand to Mouth (Appendix 2):

"Action Baseball is a card game for 1 or 2 players, consisting of two decks of 96 cards, a playing field with pegs, and a scoreboard. It is suitable for both children and adults, and one game can be played in approximately twenty minutes.
Without elaborate charts or complicated rules, Action Baseball simulates baseball as it is played on the field and allows players to make all the important strategy decisions of a big-league manager. Pitch by pitch, the results are uncannily true to life, and every outcome reflects the statistical possibilities of real baseball. From final score score to the ratio between balls and strikes, from the number of hits and errors amassed by each team to the number of successful or unsuccessful stolen bases, sacrifice bunts, and double plays, Action Baseball unfolds with all the excitement of a flesh-and-blood game."

Needless to say Action Baseball has skyrocketed to the top of my to-make-and-to-try list. As I've said the rules and cards are available in Hand to Mouth (published by Henry Holt and Company, inc.) the only missing component would be a playing board (which shouldn't be too difficult to put together.)

Anyone comfortable adding this to the database, I think should by all means.

Beyond that simple suggestion: has anyone made this? Played it? I'd love to hear response to this game (and photos!)

I hope you found this interesting. Anyone who wants greater details is encouraged to pick up "Hand to Mouth: A Chronicle of Early Failure" by Paul Auster--beside the cards and rules to Action Baseball, the book contains three early plays, a novel, and a wonderful memoir of young-novelist-meets-world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordell Stetson
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+ because i'm new here, but this isn't exactly a "newbie question", i've posted this in general gaming. please let me know if this thread would be better suited in a different forum and i'll happily put it in its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1mileis2 wrote:
As I've said the rules and cards are available in Hand to Mouth (published by Henry Holt and Company, inc.) the only missing component would be a playing board (which shouldn't be too difficult to put together.)

Anyone comfortable adding this to the database, I think should by all means.

Why not adding it yourself? It's not the most straightforward process around, but it's something that the average gamer can easily tackle. Moreover, some geekgold is always handy.

By the relevant paragraph in the guide to game submission, I'd say that there's enough information to submit the game to the database. Maybe you should differentiate it somehow from Action Baseball, naming it e.g. "Paul Auster's Action Baseball".

For further information and discussion, I think that the How to BGG forum is the right place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordell Stetson
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I bit the bullet, with your encouragement, and submitted Paul Auster, Henry Holt and Company, and Action Baseball to the admins. Fingers, I supposed, crossed that it is accepted--as I'm excited to see thoughts on the game.

One note, unless changed later, I kept the name as Action Baseball (I felt it presumptuous of me to change the title by attaching Mr. Auster's name in front) I hope that it doesn't result in too much confusion.

Thank you for your input (and encouragement!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Smith
msg tools
Yes, I have printed the cards from the book and enlarged the size of the card in order to play the game.

Travis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a link to this? An "action baseball" search turns up a lot of games!

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Does anyone have a link to this? An "action baseball" search turns up a lot of games!

On the other hand, "Paul Auster" turns up nothing, so I guess the submission was rejected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.