Tannhäuser» Forums » General

Subject: The Last Of The Culling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Miller
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Ok, Ill admit...I did way too my buying when I got into boardgaming. It was like a frenzy. I couldnt part with my money fast enough. I was like a sailor in Tokyo on a 48 hour leave.

I have since parted with many games. And not just games, game collections. Most unplayed. Oh they looked glorious on the shelves for sure, but I am a creature of reason and I always balance myself out it seems when I dip to excess in any particular area.

I am at the last of the culling. It is my Tannhauser collection. And I am struggling whether to dump it or not. I admit, this one has gone unplayed, and I have almost everything except the most recent Far East stuff (including finding a Yula which I found at my local FLGS tucked away dusty on a game shelf unwanted).

I want to ask you good geeks...I really want to give this game a go, but it seems like a huge undertaking...one which I realize now in my realistic gaming life I dont have time for usually. I can devote 1-2 hours...sometimes a bit more on a Fri or Sat night. Is this game really that good? Help me one way or another with your thoughts on this one... I would be deeply grateful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you have 1-2 hours playing time keep the base game with the new cards expansion.

it's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hill
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
keep it
or you will have to buy it all over again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying and then selling so many unplayed games!?!?!?!

You are not a creature of reason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it! You won't regret it .....

Most scenarios can be completed in less than two hours and are very 'cinematic' in feeling

-John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhydderch
msg tools
It sounds like you have limited time to devote to your games, so you and your friends will probably want to decide what you want out of your games, and then examine whether Tannhauser will provide that for you.

TIME

First, to address your time constraints, Tannhauser is a quick skirmish game, so games can be played in the 1-2 hours that you mentioned. There is some setup time, and that may take awhile when you first play, but should improve as the group becomes more familiar with the characters and their items.

As for the actual game, Tannhauser maybe a good match for you if:

=> Theme is important to you, and especially if you are a fan of the weird war or pulp genres - think of Hellboy, the Captain America stories that take place in WWII, the more fantastic elements of the James Bond movies, etc.

=> You like a simple skirmish. Tannhauser has fairly simple rules and is quick to play, with subtle strategic elements which are great if that is what you want.

=> You like your games to tell a story. Tannhauser has scenarios which help make the skirmishes into small missions, and some of the newer scenarios are divided into campaigns that you can play over time. There are also non-scenario ways to play, which try to simulate a first person shooter style of play, but really, if you want to play king of the hill, you're probably better off pulling out your X-Box and Halo

=> You like the ability to mix and match your team, trying out different combinations of characters and items.

=> You often find yourself with only one other person to play with. The game is really designed for 2 players, so that can be a plus compared to some other games which play best with 5 or 6. Also, Tannhauser can still accomodate more players since you can divide up the teams or even play games with multiple teams.

=> You like to create custom characters or like it when other fans do so. Tannhauser has several fans who like to create new material for the game, so it helps to expand the game.

On the other hand, you may want to move on if:

=> You prefer massive scale combat games, though I'm not sure you will find any of these which will fit into your 1-2 hours of available time.

=> You want a detailed campaign system which can take your characters from game number one to game number 22. There are no formal campaign rules for Tannhauser. All of the current campaigns consist of a series of pre-written scenarios. One of the fans did write up some custom rules for a campaign system though.

=> You prefer games which do not use dice and/or have very little luck involved. Tannhauser uses dice, and since its a quick skirmish game, those dice can sometimes turn the tide of a battle. If you or your group cannot accept that, then you maybe better off with another game.

=> You or your friends are rules lawyers. Fantasy Flight games often have some rules ambiguities and Tannhauser is no exception. These are usually easily addressed by a casual gaming group but could be a problem if you have someone who wants to win at all costs and will start a fight over a random rule just to win.

=> You have 5 or 6 people in your gaming group. The game can still work with 3-4 people, but probably would not satisfy a group larger than that.

=> You hate tokens or your group consists of 10-year olds who will lose everything. Tannhauser has a LOT of tokens, which allow you to customize your characters and run scenarios. You'll want to invest in lots of tiny bags (the starter box does come with some) or a crafts container if you keep the game.

=> You do not like combat games, find the theme offensive, etc. I imagine these are not issues for you since you bought the game in the first place! =P

TRY IT!

Anyway, hopefully those thoughts will help you make a decision. My own recommendation is for you to keep the game, but of course, I'm biased! Also, if possible, you should try the game. If you do not want to open the box, you might check if your local gaming store has a demo copy or download Fantasy Grounds 2 (a program for people to play RPGs online) with the fan-created Tannhauser module:

http://miah000.blogspot.com/2011/10/fan-submission-tannhause...

You'll still need to find someone to play against, and I'd recommend you schedule your game ahead of time if you go this route. That site also has a number of "Tannhauser for Beginners" articles and videos which may also help you get a better feel for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.