GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Campaign Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred and I played our first campaign game (without the joker). We've played Barbarrosa (once) and Fall Blau (twice). I took the Germans.

My opening hand was great, with "OKH" and movement, but no combat cards. I rolled terribly, and got a lot of nothing. I did use a movement card to sneak up to the retreated unit I got, but the counterblow had no effect! Turn 2 was more of the same ... by the end of T2, I'd managed to capture Riga and Minsk. The southern front had whiffed again, failing to take Odessa or Kiev! (Really, no combat cards and terrible rolls). The Soviets scorched Kiev and fell back slightly. After that things got a bit better. Turn 3 was normal, and T4 I used "Siege artillery" (in my hand since T1) and a bit of luck to take Leningrad. The southern front was in a line from Dnepropetrovsk to 2 hexes east of Kiev (roughly). My VP count was still insanely low.

I took the Finland VP and Smolensk during winter, and snuck my Leningrad unit one hex to threaten to walk into an empty Kalinin. That drew a unit (as I'd hoped). Moscow had a fortress, and the forest west of moscow had the Leningrad Fortress. And that's when things got weird in the Spring. By the end of the winter we had a fair number of exchanges (a few via card play like "Hold the line" or "hedgehogs") and the Soviet was slowly losing the battle to keep his units on the board.

The Kalinin defense was nothing special (a 3 strength inf), so I took a potshot at it and got lucky. I also pushed a mass of units south of Moscow (keeping a defender in smolensk and one unit in the forest NE), abandoning the seige of Moscow to concentrate on Tula and Voronenzh. My 3rd lucky shot got me an attack that let me advance into Tula and keep a string of units to trace supply safely. The southern front kept holding on for the Russians (via Cadre, then rebuild, and get the Cadre back next turn ... always just in the nick of time).

I managed to kill a unit via Kesselnschact, and trap one unit OOS in the forest West of Tula/Vorenzh, but the southern front kept not collapsing. By this point, I was replacing one unit a turn due to exchanges (only 1 card!) and sometimes even spending a card to entrain a 2nd unit to bring up to the front, although the Hungarians walked. Now that the focus was on the South, I detrained the 2nd Panzer (at half strength) in Kalinin, to threaten shenanigans.

On the next turn, taking advantage of the lack of EZOC from the fortresses, I encircled Moscow and Leningrad with 2 units. I figured if I got fairly lucky, I'd make both fortresses surrender (I had "Hold the line" and was hoping for an DR/exchange on one unit and a Counter blow or CA on the other). But by this point (T9 or 10) the few remaining soviet units had improved, and I got exchanged and shattered, restoring supply.

In the south, I finally had units to spare to threaten Sevastopol, and setup a counterblow, to no avail. But this also threatened Novirossiysk, which forced a precious unit out of the way.

At this point, we recorded the position to be played out later.

At the end of T 11, The german victory point is way too low at 22. There are only 9 or 10 Soviet units on the board (granted, mostly red, but that includes 3 fortresses). Sadly they nicely cover Voronezh to Stalino, Moscow and Novirossiysk, so there won't be great gains for VP on T12. The German army is on the board, but entirely half strength!

I haven't played the later scenarios, but my gut feeling is that Germans may actually keep taking terrain for another few turns. I don't think I have a shot at 4 Objective hexes, but the threat should cost the Soviets time. Still, with so few Soviet units on the board, I may be able to threaten for a bit longer. We'll see how my policy of exchanges works out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you scoring all cities? In my first game my brother and I did not include the German cities and the Romanian oil field in the German VP total.

EDIT: Looks like you did. Remember: even if the Russians start pushing you back as long as you can hold them off long enough to win an Operational victory in 1944. With so few Russian units on the board you might be able to heal your units and buy enough time to win. Also remember the SS units will be coming pretty soon (powerful and repair easily).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Are you scoring all cities? In my first game my brother and I did not include the German cities and the Romanian oil field in the German VP total.

EDIT: Looks like you did. Remember: even if the Russians start pushing you back as long as you can hold them off long enough to win an Operational victory in 1944. With so few Russian units on the board you might be able to heal your units and buy enough time to win. Also remember the SS units will be coming pretty soon (powerful and repair easily).

Yes, scoring all cities. I tend to think of my score as "I get 12 for German + Soviet Cities modded by event/surr VP." Seriously, on my first two turns, I think I caused a single step loss and a single retreat. Simply amazing bad luck.

I have a small (luckshot) chance at an objective victory, the SS Panzer unit should be a big help. 4 Objectives is tough. Assuming I crack Sevastopol then I'll have to take Stalingrad and either the Caucasus or Moscow. More realistically, these will force the Soviets to throw a lot of resources defending objectives instead of taking VP, so that the onslaught doesn't start on schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.