Subject: how do you play the shortcut card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you play it to escape an encounter as i do? and if you do, do you draw another encounter on the following move?

or is it an additional move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
@The Don: You can only play Shortcut on your own turn, so you can't modify another player's movement on that other player's turn.

@Sacha: You must play the Shortcut either before or after you draw an Encounter, not during an Encounter, so you can't use it to escape from an Encounter. It's just additional movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having lots of problems with the shortcut card and when exactly it can be played and how that ties into what space you landed on.

The FAQ on the last page of the directions state that you can't play a scrounge card before you draw an encounter, so I don't see how you could play Shortcut before you see what the encounter is going by that rule.

I figured this was best used to maybe shortcut your way to one of those spaces where the combat bonus is on the board.

But anyhow, I figured the stipulation about scrouge cards not being played before Encounters was in refrences to weapons, since if it wasn't then you wouldnt be able to play Giddy Up either.

And if you watched the official playthrough on the cryptozoic website, one of the players plays shortcut just after they make their movement roll and they're one space away from one of the corner spaces, so I'm guessing it can be played after you land on a space but before you draw an encounter, which increases its usefulness greatly.

Still...I'm left wondering if you could play it after you're midway through the two encounters you have to go through while on a corner space. Say, you bomb the first one and don't want to die so you shortcut away from the cdc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Sorry I am only seeing this now. Better to start a new thread than to put a question in an old thread.

The rule about "no playing Scrounge cards before Encounters" was not meant to exclude Shortcuts and Giddy-Ups. S-C and G-U's are being played as an extension of Movement. The rule was to prevent people from playing weapons before seeing their Encounter. The rules could have been more clear on that distinction...

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel McGauley
msg tools
Can you play the S-C or G-U card after drawing an encounter card when you suddenly realize your chances of winning the encounter have gone way down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcgauley wrote:
Can you play the S-C or G-U card after drawing an encounter card when you suddenly realize your chances of winning the encounter have gone way down?

No you cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.