Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of your concerns get fixed as more packs get opened. I suggest playing it as is for the time being, but it is your game of course.

Also, having the advantage of an extra star when you haven't won a game seems to outweigh most of the other advantages you get, at least from what we can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lim
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same exact concerns after my first game and posted about them here too. I was told that things would change and around our 3rd game packs were opened and awesomeness was unleashed.

We had one player sub in for another so we just gave him all the powers that the person he subbed for would have had. I think this worked out fine.

Losing a game because of a weaker alternate player is no big deal. The decisions the alternate makes like placing a bunker in the middle of nowhere could foil the original player's long term plans but it certainly does not ruin the game.

Strategies and conditions will change game to game. A good player can win any game by adapting to the new rules better than the other players.

My suggestion is to not alter any rules at all. The game knows what it's doing and it's suppose to feel this way right now. Follow the rules and things will become clearer after a couple games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do, DO NOT ASIGN FACTIONS!

If you asign factions, there are alot of things later in the game that will not matter and you will be half way through your 15 games and feel like you ruined it.

Just an FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard it said that we should NOT assign factions quite a number of times but I cannkt for the life of me figure out why. I mean it seems like a fantastic idea but all I hear is "Dont Do It. You will be sorry". Is therd anyway to get a better reason than that while avoiding the spoiles for the most part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsaver wrote:
Is therd anyway to get a better reason than that while avoiding the spoiles for the most part?

Short answer: Not really. Just don't do it.

Long answer: I'll try really hard to avoid spoilers. However, I'm putting the next explanation in a spoiler box anyway. Read at your own risk. I don't believe there are spoilers, but I'm skirting the edges here.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The way that factions develop relies heavily on the player that controls them at the time. Additionally, factions will grow asymmetrically. If you assign factions, some of the balance inherant in the game will disappear, and you will also lose out on some of the fun. Assign at your own risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reality is you have lots of things you have not opened yet. Just assumed since they did not tell you to pick a faction and stick with it, there is a reason why.

But here is one minor spoiler. There are big, huge reasons why, but this is just a minor one:
There are specific cards you get later that deal with drafting factions at the begining of the game, and in addition, there are bonuses applied to certain factions/players. If you have had the same faction the whole game, you are missing out on this small part. Trust me, there are much bigger pieces as well.

There are some very big reasons why you don't want to assign factions, but you need to earn those secrets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcJWaters wrote:
That being said, here are the house rules I think I am going to implement. Firstly, when naming the board in terms of minor and major cities, I want the player to put the faction that they are playing with underneath the text box. This ensures that any player who subs in for a player still gets the bonuses in the campaign that are due them.

I don't understand this. No one may start the game in minor cities, so what would it mean for them to have a faction name under them?

MarcJWaters wrote:
Also, I think that I am doing away with the random faction draw at the start of the game. In the first 15 games, it seems more fair that each player take control of their own army and craft their skills. Once the campaign is completed, then random army assignment can commence.

Am I taking the fun out of the game if I do this?

I'm afraid I don't understand this either, because there is no random faction draw at the start of the game. There's a random die roll to determine who gets first pick of factions, but that's not the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsaver wrote:
I have heard it said that we should NOT assign factions quite a number of times but I cannkt for the life of me figure out why. I mean it seems like a fantastic idea but all I hear is "Dont Do It. You will be sorry". Is therd anyway to get a better reason than that while avoiding the spoiles for the most part?

This answer is as spoiler-free as I can make it: "Assigning factions" will make no sense when the rules of the game change as you open packets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MainManDetroit wrote:
The reality is you have lots of things you have not opened yet. Just assumed since they did not tell you to pick a faction and stick with it, there is a reason why.

But here is one minor spoiler. There are big, huge reasons why, but this is just a minor one:
There are specific cards you get later that deal with drafting factions at the begining of the game, and in addition, there are bonuses applied to certain factions/players. If you have had the same faction the whole game, you are missing out on this small part. Trust me, there are much bigger pieces as well.

There are some very big reasons why you don't want to assign factions, but you need to earn those secrets.

Thank you. That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for. Just a little confirmation on WHAT I was getting into. I dont think it was too tremendous of a spoiler on things to come. Just vague enough to make things interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Hamilton
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not assigning factions will allow some of the imbalances in the game for a continuous winner to be repaired.

If So-and-so always takes the Bear guys, and has been winning a lot - I'll take his faction next game so he's at a bit of a handicap (the powers he plans for and counts on are all different so he won't be able to use his same tactics). If there's an implied "this is my faction" quasi-rule in the game, then there's a bit of a hurdle to use that mechanic to help balance the game.

That's a 100% spoiler-free reason. There are others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.