Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
I don't have the base game, only Small World Underground.

What is the best (or most compatible) expansion to add to Underground?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All three of the race/class expansions (Be Not Afraid, Cursed, Grand Dames) work perfectly with SWU because the powers don't depend on terrain or anything. So... get them all!

Tales & Legends depends on terrains from the basic game and is basically an added "chaos factor" much like the Places/Relics (and I prefer those), so avoid that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely say Be Not Afraid is the best addition to Underground. It's fully compatible, and offers more new races and powers than either Grand Dames or Cursed!. Also, I think it has some of the most fun abilities available.

Cursed! might be a better fit with Underground thematically, but since it only offers two new races, it can't really compete.

The only expansion that isn't fully compatible is the Tales & Legends deck, but there are analogues to make nearly all cards compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above. All of the race-and-special power expansions are just as adaptable to SWU as to SW; of these, BNA has more powers and a nice tray to hold the expansion tokens, and costs more, naturally.

I don't agree that T&L is a chaos factor the same way the Places and Relics are. With the latter, you don't know what you're getting until it's revealed, while with the former, you know a whole game turn ahead of time what's going to happen. I like how it adds a different game rule for each game turn. That said, some of the cards have specific wording for the SW board and might need adaptation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunnels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Be Not Afraid or Cursed... actually leaning toward Cursed. I think Goblins and Kobolds not only fit thematically, but their powers do as well. But either one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.