Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I just checked the results of the recent Math Trade I participated in, and as luck would have it, I'm trading away a once-played copy of Clue: The Office that my wife and I will never play again, for an unpunched, almost new copy of Fields of Fire. I'm pretty excited about it, and I had to tell someone.

To be honest, I'm not too familiar with Fields of Fire. I added it to my "want in trade" list a few months back when I was looking for good solitaire games and saw some high praise for it on a few Geeklists. I then added it on my want list on this Math Trade because it was highlighted as a game I "want in trade," and I never thought I would get it.

So here I am, excitedly waiting for my new game which should arrive in a few days and checking in on what I've gotten myself into. It appears that there are 114 pages of forum posts on this games page. That's a little daunting. I've been able to skim through the first few pages of posts, and this is what I've been able to glean.

1) The rules are difficult to grasp as there are multiple rules-clarification posts
2) A second edition rules have been created by GMT with a detailed example of play, though apparently not in final draft
3) A 2nd edition of the game is currently on P500 containing 2nd edition rules, a few updated counters, and a new campaign
4) It seems 1st edition players can acquire the new rules and campaign online, and GMT will send you the corrected counters
5) ...Followed by many posts about how good the game is

That being said, is there anything else I should know while I wait for this game to arrive and take up my time during the holidays? Should I pretty much just try to learn the rules before it arrives? Should I start with the 1st edition rules it's coming with (and be able to proudly display this mb), or download the 2nd edition rules and go from there?

Thanks for any and all input, and I look forward to singing the praises of this game with you all in a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to blow my own trumpet here whistle but....

I recommend you download the 2nd ed rules and download the Vassal module for Normandy. Have a quick read through the rules but don't worry if you don't get it.

then download this Vassal log from BGG

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63171/vassal-log-missi...

and step your way through it.

I'm sure I made some mistakes when I played this game (in fact I highlighted a few in the log ityself) but it will give you a good basic run through of the mechanics of the game.

Lets us all know how you get on, you have (or will have) a great game in your hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a video walkthrough of a Normandy mission here on BGG (10 episodes or so). Watch it if oyu have the time, it is very helpful.

Regarding the counters, have a look at your mortar teams and MGs. I think the one step US mortar teams should have a G! fire rating and the MG teams should have C range on their Fire Team side. If this is the case, you do have the corrected counters. (Also, if you find a counter sheet with many counters that obviously belong to another game, this is the errata sheet which GMT sent out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Preorder the 2nd edition, to help people less lucky than you
Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, I too picked up this game in a Math trade, though for a little bit more than you sent. I have not had a chacne to play it yet or read the rules. I am a bit behind on games right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say go in with an open mind, the rules are not that bad. Many of us have been able to learn the game and enjoy it. I think a big problem is some of the concepts are unique and new to most gamers. The command and control are very good but not typical of other games and the VOF system of fire is entirely new so you'll need to digest the newness of these ideas.

I would skip the vehicles and illumination rules right off, you can learn them once you've had a couple games under your belt. Download the latest rules and read the rules related to command points, activation, movement and then VOF. Then either try it out with vassal or wait for your game to arrive and run the first mission without worrying about winning or rule perfection. Many things will come together once you see it happen during the game.

Once you play you'll see things fall into place, yet also really see some of the hangups with the rules which you'll have to just work through. I think ideas like communication, command control, casualties, VOF and enemy movement need to be learned through playing. Just working through the rules is not enough of a visual for most gamers to learn them properly, mainly because they are usually new ideas and mechanics that just need to be seen to fully understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that the rules are hard to understand that makes things complicated on occasion. It is that there is no index and the way the rules are structured you may have to look two or three places to find everything you need to know about a given subject. I haven't had a chance to try out Gilgam's Rules index cards during a game

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73421/rules-index-card...

but they seem like they could be really helpful in solving this problem as they sort the rules by keyword. So instead of having the information about mortars scattered throughout the rules, they are all in one place. I would learn the rules via the rule book as it reads well the way it is written. But I would try using these cards as a topic reference while playing.

Also, possibly useful to you when the box arrives, I made a file you can reference when punching, sorting, and storing your counters that helps you to figure which counters are for which eras and armies, etc.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70983/sorting-and-stor...

Enjoy this fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:
I say go in with an open mind, the rules are not that bad. Many of us have been able to learn the game and enjoy it. I think a big problem is some of the concepts are unique and new to most gamers. The command and control are very good but not typical of other games and the VOF system of fire is entirely new so you'll need to digest the newness of these ideas.

I would skip the vehicles and illumination rules right off, you can learn them once you've had a couple games under your belt. Download the latest rules and read the rules related to command points, activation, movement and then VOF. Then either try it out with vassal or wait for your game to arrive and run the first mission without worrying about winning or rule perfection. Many things will come together once you see it happen during the game.

Once you play you'll see things fall into place, yet also really see some of the hangups with the rules which you'll have to just work through. I think ideas like communication, command control, casualties, VOF and enemy movement need to be learned through playing. Just working through the rules is not enough of a visual for most gamers to learn them properly, mainly because they are usually new ideas and mechanics that just need to be seen to fully understand.

I'll second this. I didn't find the first edition rules to be that bad. I'd also suggest watching the series of 10 videos that cover the first Normandy mission. You'll feel like you've actually played the game after watching them. They really help to solidify the concepts in the rulebook.

As other people have said, just play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. After posting the original post late last night, I watched the first video in the set of 10 and downloaded the 1st edition rules to see what I was up against (I'll download the errata and 2nd edition when I get home from work tonight). It looks like there are some great resources to get you through this game, in addition to it being a good game.

The excitement builds each day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure why you're bothering with the first edition of the rules and the errata. Just jump straight to the most current version (2.1 or whatever it is).

I'd check out the samples of play from the GMT website. I don't think the rules are that confusing, but I do agree with Ron they could be laid out better or indexed. That said version 2.1 is a definite improvement.

Biggest issue I had was you'll reach several points of rules ambiguity. Just choose what's most realistic (or post here and ask for help) shrug it off and enjoy a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Download the 2nd edition rules and watch the videos of the first mission here on BBG, it'll take some time to watch all of them but it'll be the fastest way to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.